Can Quaker State Winter Oil 5w30 safe for 5k mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, why not? I'm closing in on a 5000 mile OCI with QS winter blend 5w30. I've had to put an extra 2-3 quarts or more (can't really remember!) of oil into the engine since it both burns and leaks oil since I put this stuff in my car. It was using oil before this, so don't get worried or anything. I'm planning on switching to a high mileage oil for my next OCI to see if it'll cut down the oil usage.

I had no problems going 5K in my Cirrus V6. Started with no issues in -20F temps. Lurking about in the forums, other members have trashed this oil...YMMV

You can probably get your hands on Esso XD-3 0W-30 from your local Imperial Oil bulk dealer if you want a longer-drain 'winter' oil.

Might be worth looking into instead of the QS product.

Pitzel,

You have trumped this oil so much that I went out and bought it and put it in my car. It was a great bargain, at less that $4 per litre, last summer (I think that I paid $3.96, in Calgary). BUT, what will be the long-term effect of a HDEO on my catalytic convertors? The oil is SL-rated, so presumably it won't damage them too much, since it meets a relatively recent (but now surpassed)API standard.

Paul

PFP, sorry if I sound like an Imperial salesman. But the UOA evidence, and the price is just so convincingly good.

The idea with a synth, esp. XD-3 synth, is that you run it for a longer drain than you would with a dino.

A SAE study has shown that the phosphourous (from the ZDDP) uptake into the exhaust gas path is dependant on the concentration of ZDDP in the oil, as well as the OCI used.

A 3000 mile oil change with normal ZDDP levels, for instance, would introduce more phosphourous (through evaporation, etc.) into the exhaust gas, than would a 6k mile oil change with a HDEO with above-normal ZDDP.

Because of the general ignorance of the public, the industry is forced to come out with reduced ZDDP levels because people will change their oil every 3000 miles and expose their exhausts to more phosphourous. If people could be relied upon to change oil at recommended intervals, the industry would not have had to push for a reduction in ZDDP levels below those of current standards.

Insofar as your cats are concerned, another thing to keep in mind is that you live in Alberta, a place with no emmissions testing. And 'damage' is such a relative term in this context as well -- a HDEO maybe would mean a loss of 5% of life, where life might be 200-300k miles. Very hard to measure and/or quantify.

I would also suggest that more volatile dino oils have other downsides to catalytic converters and oxygen sensors that good synth HDEO's do not, that cannot be explained merely by ZDDP levels.

Pitzel, I admit your XD-3 enthusiasm has also been passed over to me.

I split a case of 0W30 with a colleague and plan to run a blend of 3L 0W30 and 1L 15W40 in my Volvo turbo. I wanted to blend to stretch out the 6L of 0W30 for 2 oil changes.

I won't be doing an analysis but I think I can easily get 1 to 1.5yrs (10-15KM) on this oil. I've read and re-read through the Imperial XD-3 PDF, seen Olympic's 40KM 2 month analyis (among others) and also seen the virgin oil analysis. I'm convinced enough to give it a try..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back