Can one extrapolate the GM OLM?

yeah, I am one who pretty much ignores the OLM. I like to grease the chassis of my 2500 pickup every 5000 miles along with a good under carriage inspection of things, so I just change the oil while I am at it. If all I was doing was driving on hard surface, it might be different, but a lot of gravel roads, frequent off road, etc and I am not waiting some 10,000 miles or more before I am under the pickup and checking everything out. Pretty much the way I have been doing it for a couple of decades. Set in my ways.

To answer the OP's question, my 2012 Impala has been 92-94 miles per % over the course of 10 oil changes. That's a tight range and I wouldn't run the oil out to 9,300 if it were my own based on the 3.6's reputation. It's a company car so it gets changed every 7500 and I've never sampled the oil for analysis.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
....or a year!

+1 Regardless of what the OLM says, GM recommends changing the oil at least once a year. I have used the OLM on all my vehicles from the start and not once have I had any issues with it. I would use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Bad news anyway...honestly I was a olm follower...but no more. I'll pick a sensible oci based on uoas and go from there

I don't disagree, but giving the IOLM some credit, wouldn't it make more sense to change oil at 40 or 50%? This would at least allow some variation based on driving conditions.

The A #1 ISSUE we see in the repair field with OLM issues is the biggest problem with most of them is people NEVER CHECK THEIR OIL !!
I know that excludes most folks on here, but it's what we see all the time. The masses only go by the % and don't ever give the level a second thought between any time/mileage intervals... of whatever you like. THAT is the BIGGEST issue... All the normal factors - heat, cold, mileage driven, mileage accrued, towing - can change the consumption rate ( or lack of - if moisture builds up ). Cripes, some people think their car has oil level monitoring like some luxury cars do ( but most average cars do not ) and don't believe they have a need to check it or have it checked at all !!
This habit alone will take care of most of those issues - except for cars that are hard on oil like a 3.6 GM, etc. And yes, I myself do about 5K on my vehicles and have had ZERO issues with my engines internals/lifespan.

BurrWinder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder
The A #1 ISSUE we see in the repair field with OLM issues is the biggest problem with most of them is people NEVER CHECK THEIR OIL !!
I know that excludes most folks on here, but it's what we see all the time. The masses only go by the % and don't ever give the level a second thought between any time/mileage intervals... of whatever you like. THAT is the BIGGEST issue... All the normal factors - heat, cold, mileage driven, mileage accrued, towing - can change the consumption rate ( or lack of - if moisture builds up ). Cripes, some people think their car has oil level monitoring like some luxury cars do ( but most average cars do not ) and don't believe they have a need to check it or have it checked at all !!
This habit alone will take care of most of those issues - except for cars that are hard on oil like a 3.6 GM, etc. And yes, I myself do about 5K on my vehicles and have had ZERO issues with my engines internals/lifespan.

BurrWinder

Yeah, add to the fact that they buy an oil with mad cleaners or additives for cleaning (usually a part of or the aggregate affect/effect of the add pack (or specific chemicals)) and forget that they will mandatory have to add oil when it is a cleaner on non brand new cars that have accumulated miles as a byproduct of the internal combustions system. (in all of its gory or glory)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas

BITOGers choose their own oil and sample it, and the analysis and TBN indicate how much further it can go - more fulfilling and no less accurate than the OLM.

With all due respect to those that do just that...

My own oil changes cost me around $25 with M1EP and an OEM filter. Where is the advantage in spending $25 on a UOA to determine whether or not you need a $25 oil change?

Originally Posted By: EvanR
Originally Posted By: Olas

BITOGers choose their own oil and sample it, and the analysis and TBN indicate how much further it can go - more fulfilling and no less accurate than the OLM.

With all due respect to those that do just that...

My own oil changes cost me around $25 with M1EP and an OEM filter. Where is the advantage in spending $25 on a UOA to determine whether or not you need a $25 oil change?

I realize this isn't a deep dive response but I chuckled the same. I need to subscribe to the UOA thread.

Totally agree.. Especially on normal pass. car / truck engines - It makes WAY more sense on an OTR
truck / industrial equip. / etc. that holds quite a bit more oil and requires more downtime, labor, etc ( MONEY ) to change. I think checking it on some random samples makes sense for a hobby and to get an idea what levels of stress you engine / oil is under. BUT - other than that... a person should have no need to constantly "reinvent the wheel" in regards to oil/engine protection testing on a constant basis.
Let's face it ... other than changing the time line, type of oil or filter... what are you going to SAVE if you find issues ? Maybe a catastrophic failure of something... otherwise for most folks the findings "is what they is" so to speak. The engine in question is working ok ( which most will under our " no testing " program ) or it needs more major repair or be sold, etc. Either way the testing will not prevent it (issues) after you seemingly know by experience of yourself and others on here what techniques "work" !

BurrWinder

On a similar note, I had the Buick's oil changed (to Castrol Magnatec dexos1, if it matters) in late December, and reset the monitor myself. Now, barely 3 weeks and 370 miles later, it has plunged to 91% life left. A point every 40 miles means I'll be at 0% by 4000. True, it's been chilly here -- below 60 degrees a lot of days, and some mornings at 35-40 -- but I've been driving my usual 25-mile round trip to work, with a big chunk of the morning run at Interstate speeds, so the car is seeing highway time then and on the weekends as well.

4K at my usual rate of 800 miles a month is 5 months, so not a lot less than my usual 6 months/4800 miles. And I suppose the rate will slow once we get to the hot stuff in March. Still, it's odd. I don't recall this happening last winter, which also had some cool temps.

Back