Can Mazda SkyActiv engines do 10k OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the maintenance schedule for Mazdas with the Skyactiv engine the manufacturer recommends ONLY 0W-20(non-turbo) and 5W-30(turbo) fully synthetic oil changed out either every 5000 miles(severe) or 7500 miles(normal). Apparently in Mexico they can use 5W-20 fully synthetic oil.

I almost don't blame the automaker, people are generally idiots and don't follow scheduled maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
The MAZDA warranty specifies a 4 month required OCI regardless of miles driven?

Say it ain't SO!

I'll second that! Out of interest, Mazda Oz service requirements are 10,000km (6200ml) or 12 months. Every 4 months sounds like madness...

M1 0w20 on my sky2.0 from day one now 40k 5K oil changes oem filter absolute pristine under fill cap always run non ethanol 91 octane. I will stick with this for cars lifetime. Approximately 30 bucks for DIY oil change that's worth it to me.

I just changed the oil/filter on my 2014 Mazda 6 GS after 11682km (7259mi) / 13.5 months. No gas smell and the oil was far from dark. All on 87 octane. Lots of highway and few short drives. Car sits unused for days or weeks so I too think that Mazda Canada recommendations are silly.

Last edited:
For those of you who recall, I am on the microGreen protocol and getting close (3,000 miles to go) to using my M1 0W-20 AFE for 30,000 miles. My makeup oil has been Mazda 0W-20 because I had some remaining in the case I purchased. It takes half a quart to refill after changing the filter. I'll share the UOA results, good or bad. The oil is currently dark, but not black. Shining a powerful LED flashlight into the rocker cover reveals shiny aluminum that looks like the engine is new. I have a total of 50,000 miles on the car at this point.

The car is a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv hatchback and I drive it like I stole it.

^I would tend to agree. While there is debate about whether or not fuel dilution is "hard" on oil, there is the design philosophy of Skyactiv to consider. The engine has overall friction reduction of 15% compared to Mazda's older engine designs. In addition, there is even a variable pressure oil pump included. I think that, overall, this engine should be EASIER on its oil than others.

Glad I found this thread.

My brother just ran Total Quartz 0W20 for 8k miles in his 2014 CX5 with the 2.5. VOA of this oil is here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...51080/total-quartz-9000-future-0w-20-voa

Seems to be a pretty average synthetic. Most would not recommend running this with an extended OCI, but in our case we did and we're about to find out if that was an issue.

Almost everything I've read outside this site has recommended following the manufacturer's OCI, but plenty of people on this site suggest that "extended" OCI for mazda skyactive would be basically a regular OCI for all other manufacturers. Oil was changed in mid-February, the miles driven are probably split up around 70 highway/30 city in this 8k, 9 month interval. I will send in the results for the sample and report back.

I am in GTA, Ontario, and will be using Wearcheck in Burlington. They recommend sending in a virgin sample for this oil but since we don't have any I will use the data from the existing VOA and compare to the results I get back from wearcheck.

I've been doing 30K OCIs with microGreen filters for over 70,000 miles and I currently have 107,000 on the car (2012 Mazda3, with Skyactiv 2.0). UOA after 30K still showed serviceable oil with 2.1 TBN. Now that I can't get MG filters anymore I'll be going to 15K with Fram Ultra. 5,000K OCI is nothing but fear mongering.

Edit: My oil of choice is Mobil 1 0W-20 EP.

Last edited:
I believe they can with the right oil and driving conditions. I've had both the 2.5L and 2.0L. Both are fantastic engines. The 2.0L is bulletproof. I did 2 11k mile runs on M1 EP 0w20 in my Mazda. I never sampled it though but the car ran like new when I got rid of it with 63k miles. I've seen some solid UOA's with 8k miles.

With any GDI engine, if you're doing a lot of short trip driving, I would cut the interval to 6 months regardless. Oil is cheap. It's just not worth it.

If I had my way brother would do his own oil changes every 6 months in our garage using whatever was on sale at the time. But he does not do his oil changes out of laziness and living in the city, so they are usually done by our local independent mechanic. When he passed the recommended OCI he was at a weird point in the year called 'Summer' where the priority was drinking in the sun, and not taking his car in to the shop
lol.gif

I'm looking forward to getting the results back to see what this 8k interval on a DI engine, in Canada, actually means on paper. I'm hoping it will be similar to both of your results going significantly higher than the MFR's OCI.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2013 Skyactive here with no fuel dilution issues after a nearly 7K mile OCI...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-2013-mazda-3-mobil-1-afe-0w20-6700mi

Excellent. I wish I could get the supertech here in canada, I don't think they sell the supertech syn 0w20 at walmart here.

What fuel were you using here? I have seen a couple threads on here with a lot of discussion (speculation) regarding mazda's DI strategy and how regular vs premium fuel will affect dilution.

Originally Posted by Nate_L
2013 Skyactive here with no fuel dilution issues after a nearly 7K mile OCI...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-2013-mazda-3-mobil-1-afe-0w20-6700mi

Excellent. I wish I could get the supertech here in canada, I don't think they sell the supertech syn 0w20 at walmart here.

What fuel were you using here? I have seen a couple threads on here with a lot of discussion (speculation) regarding mazda's DI strategy and how regular vs premium fuel will affect dilution.

Just regular 87 octane here in the states. That UOA was mobile 1 btw. I have supertech in the engine right now. About 3K away from the next dump.

Last edited:
I had no fuel dilution issues after 30K either. But, as another user pointed out, the Blackstone fuel dilution testing protocol is not really definitive. The viscosity of my oil actually increased over the 30K run and ended resembling a 0W-30 rather than 0W-20. The vast majority of the time the car is started it is for my daily commute of 20 miles on the highway each way. So, there's not a ton of stop and go or short trip driving involved.

Just regular 87 octane here in the states. That UOA was mobile 1 btw. I have supertech in the engine right now. About 3K away from the next dump.

Well I doubt that the oil itself makes a difference regarding fuel dilution - i would expect this to vary based on environmental factors and individual usage. Good to know you did not see much of it. Perhaps your usage is not very 'severe' ie more long trips and less extreme temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back