Can Mazda SkyActiv engines do 10k OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nate_L
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Just regular 87 octane here in the states. That UOA was mobile 1 btw. I have supertech in the engine right now. About 3K away from the next dump.

Well I doubt that the oil itself makes a difference regarding fuel dilution - i would expect this to vary based on environmental factors and individual usage. Good to know you did not see much of it. Perhaps your usage is not very 'severe' ie more long trips and less extreme temperatures.

I'm a 50/50 mix of highway and stop n go. I can "get on it" every now and then but mostly drive like a nearly 40 year old that I am rather than a 20 year old.

That will be interesting to see, especially the fuel dilution numbers. Personally I've suggested either 5k or 7.5k depending on the driving routine. In your case the latter might apply.

It should be noted that this is a 2014. Changes to the engine have been made along the way in the years since.

Go to www.mazda247.com and check out the UOAs for the SkyActiv engines. I posted 3 UOAs for my 2.5L NA and no hint of fuel dilution. Fuel dilutions doesn't seem to be an issue with Mazda and all wear values are very good. ED

Last edited:
I agree, fuel dilution has not been a problem with these Mazda motors.

I haven't been to mazda247 in a long time.

I'd run it to 5K and do a UOA, either via extracting a sample or dumping the oil. I'd probably dump the oil and get my sample that way.

I beat the crap out of a 2014 Mazda3 2.5.

Changed the oil religiously every 7500 miles at Valvoline (pretty sure they were not putting 0W-20 synthetic in like they were supposed to - UOA did NOT match what the invoice said for grade but wear metals looked great) but drove it like I stole it and that car spend a significant amount of time at redline. Drove it for 60K miles and it ran like new when I sold it and I know the currently owner and it now has 100K miles and runs like new. I have no doubt something like Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 could easily go 10K in that car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DBMaster
I had no fuel dilution issues after 30K either. But, as another user pointed out, the Blackstone fuel dilution testing protocol is not really definitive. The viscosity of my oil actually increased over the 30K run and ended resembling a 0W-30 rather than 0W-20. The vast majority of the time the car is started it is for my daily commute of 20 miles on the highway each way. So, there's not a ton of stop and go or short trip driving involved.

That's funny because my UOAs often came back thicker than what was put in the engine. I'm used to viscosity decreasing over time but not increasing.

Originally Posted by SkyActivG
I'm a bit uncertain about the oci for the SkyActiv 2.0 and the new 2.5. The dealerships are recommending 5k mile oci. I only know that the SkyActiv engines have fuel dilution which can affect the longevity of the oil, but I have heard that dilution can be eliminated for the most part by running mid-grade gas 89.

I miss 10k on my old Honda CR-Z.
Can SkyActiv do 10k oci?

As a test, I've been running 89 octane in my 2018 Mazda3, 2.5L all summer long and the OCI is coming-up in about 1 month. Sit tight and we'll have a data point in no time. I have the vehicle's first UOA posted here but it was performed when the engine was brand new and the results are totally predictable for a brand new engine. The upcoming UOA will have approximately 5000 to 5500 miles driven this summer on mid-grade, top-tier fuel.

Ray

I'd be cautious going too long with the newer cylinder deactivation skyactive G's. The CD is actuated by oil pressure and prior to the recent recall, there were some issues with improper oil pressure and rocker arms falling off. Hopefully the recall/software flash corrected the problem.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
7K max if I had a Mazda.

I'm curious why you say this? 90% highway mileage, don't drive like an idiot + use proper 0w20 SN+ oil. These things don't burn a drop, don't suffer from fuel dilution (at least the non turbo's don't). Why not run to 10K?

those Japanese cars are so reliable u can put what ever in them and they will survive.
one of my students didnt change the oil in hes Subaru b3 for over 3 years 40 k miles and its fine.
never mind every time i see him i want to kill him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back