Can I use Toyota coolant on a 2015 Mazda CX-9

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-9 Touring that just turned over 90,000 miles. My wife drives a Toyota, and I was thinking about using the coolant we have for that on the Mazda since I believe both are P-HOATs and we have a full gallon of the Toyota red.

Anything I need to be concerned about? I was also thinking about using one of the universals (not the old school green) but I think the Toyota coolant would be a better match.

Thanks, and hope you stay cool. The weather is Tarzan hot here in Georgia.

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-9 Touring that just turned over 90,000 miles. My wife drives a Toyota, and I was thinking about using the coolant we have for that on the Mazda since I believe both are P-HOATs and we have a full gallon of the Toyota red.

Anything I need to be concerned about? I was also thinking about using one of the universals (not the old school green) but I think the Toyota coolant would be a better match.

Thanks, and hope you stay cool. The weather is Tarzan hot here in Georgia.
Not exactly an answer to your question, but a few years ago there were many members here who claimed to switch all their vehicles to Toyota Red coolant. None of them complained of any issues yet (must've been 3-5-10 years so far), and vehicles ranged in years/makes/models/engine metallurgy. Take it with a grain of salt, but I'd use it without hesitation, after a couple D&F with (preferably distilled) water, just to get as much of the old coolant out as possible.

Last edited:
Found a little article online, below is a copy/paste from it. Again, not exactly an answer to your question, but somewhat relevant. It is also worth noting that many older Toyotas made it hundreds thousands of miles and couple decades with original Toyota Red coolant, because not every driver out there is a BITOGer. I still stand by my statement from previous post.

Is Toyota Pink Coolant Just Premixed Red?
No, Toyota Pink Coolant is not just premixed Red. The pink coolant is an OAT (organic acid technology) that typically has a longer service life. The red coolant on the other hand is an IAT (inorganic acid technology) that is considered to be more “conventional” but still longer lasting than some other coolants on the market.

What Are the Ingredients of Each Coolant?
Toyota Pink Super Long Life Coolant:
Water (7732-18-5)
Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1)
Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6)
Sebacic Acid (111-20-6)
Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3)

Toyota Red Long Life Coolant:
Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1)
Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6)
Water (7732-18-5)
Orangic Acid Salt (532-32-1)
Hydrated Inorganic Salt (1310-58-3)

Which Toyota Coolant is the Longest Lasting?
Toyota claims that their Pink Coolant is good for up to 160,000 km (100,000 miles) or 10 years for the factory fill and then needs to be changed every 100,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years after that. The red coolant has a much shorter life and needs to be changed every 50,000 km (30,000 miles) or every 2 years.

Which Toyota Coolant is the Cheapest?
While Toyota Pink Coolant does last a lot longer than Red it is quite a bit more expensive. This is in part because it is only available as 50/50 pre-mixed formula whereas Toyota Red is not pre-diluted.

Which Toyota Coolant is Better for Older Cars?
It is generally recommended that you use Toyota Red in older vehicles. This is mainly due to the fact that older Toyotas usually have non-aluminium radiators and Pink is not formulated with the inhibitors necessary to protect them. The Red Long Life coolant had molybate and a triazole to protect the metals (copper, etc.) in the older radiators.
Toyota Red can also be used in later model cars, but from the factory they come with Pink. The Pink coolant was used in most Toyotas from the early to mid 2000s

So, Which Coolant is the Best?
This really comes down to the model and year of your car. If you have a modern Toyota with an aluminium radiator, Pink is probably the coolant you want to go for. However, if you do not mind changing the coolant frequently, Toyota Red can be used on newer cars if you want to save a few bucks (remember it needs to be mixed with water).
For older cars it is recommended that you use Toyota Red and not Pink as per the advice above.

Can I Mix Toyota Red & Pink?
Toyota does state that their two coolants are compatible, but we would always exercise caution when mixing coolants. If you are thinking about changing between them we would flush the system completely before adding the new, different coolant.

Last edited:
What color is the original coolant? Blue? Or is it a Ford engine and it's yellow? Personally I wouldn't try and save $10 on something that you only change every 100,000 miles. If you mix red with that, what do you get? Brown? If you ever try and sell it and someone sees brown coolant, they might run.

I wouldn't mix Toyota Red with Mazda OEM because it's an IAT (Inorganic acid according to what Vladiator posted above) and would shorten the useful life of the PHOAT OE coolant. I wouldn't hesitate to add Toyota pink to Mazda OE because they have similar chemistry. You could buy PEAK 10X and use it in both cars since it uses phosphate in it's PHOAT formula just like Toyota pink and Mazda OE. If you want to stick with Mazda's color and formula you can buy Pentosin A2 concentrate on Amazon.

I went to Walmart and bought some peak coolant that is especially suited for non Toyota Japanese brands. Only cost about $19 and I had to get a pair of new windshield wipers anyhow so it was time well spent.

Thanks very much for the replies. Hope you all have a cool weekend

I would certainly not do that. Your 2015 mazda is filled with FL22 which is the 2nd generation PHOAT coolant. FL22 is readily available at dealership.$28 or so, premixed.

Othe toyota front, the red is the 1st generation PHOAT which has a shorter service life. Not IAT as some earlier posts said... matter of fact, the post even correctedlt listed organic additive package.

In addition, the chemistry of toyotas and mazdas coolant are the same philosophy (phosophated bybrid organic) but not identical OAT additives are used.

Again, I would not risk mixing the cooland, just go grab the FL22, Drainand fill, and move on with life.

Personally, I would not mix Toyota Red LL with Mazda FL22 long service interval Asian PHoat. Toyota LL red service interval is Toyota recommended ~2years/30k mile. Significantly shorter than the current Asian Phoat AF intervals. If you don't want to use FL22 likely because of cost, there now many aftermarket true Asian Phoats like Peak OET, or Valvoline ZAV or Napa Asian which may be able to be obtained at a much lower cost. I'd mix any of those with FL22.

This Ravenol is FL22... not diluted...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220428-214426.jpg
    Screenshot_20220428-214426.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220428-214403.jpg
    Screenshot_20220428-214403.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8
Back