Can I use Motorcycle oil in a gasoline car engine?

I would do it, I think motorcycle oils are made stronger with more ZDDP and more shear stable VII used. Basically high performance oils.
Is there any oil you wouldn't try? haha, maybe this will be the next thing for me, motorcycle oil. What haven't we considered running, outboard 10W30? 🤣

Is there any oil you wouldn't try? haha, maybe this will be the next thing for me, motorcycle oil. What haven't we considered running, outboard 10W30? 🤣
Laugh !!
Yeah, I do run some different oils, but I do think long and hard before I try them.

In Australia, Penrite make lots of oils suitable for both motorcycles and cars, and advertise them as such. These dual purpose oils are quite common here, and very popular, the price is a lot lower than motorcycle only oils too, due to shared production costs.

But I've always considered motorcycle oils to be good old school performance oils for cars.

Similar thread here:

Last edited:
.Cold cranking also isn't their priority as most motorcycles aren't even used in winter conditions.
Good thought, but a motorcycle oil will still need to meet the cold cranking (and MRV) requirements of whatever SAE viscosity grade they are claiming, the same as a car engine oil.

I'm guessing that if you're thinking of using a bike oil in a car then OEM approvals are not an issue.

I'm guessing that if you're thinking of using a bike oil in a car then OEM approvals are not an issue.
Weasley, you would know, why are some motorcycle oils the older API SG or SJ, even when a full synthetic and a non-ILSAC grade like 10W40 or 20W50. Yet others have a more modern API SL or SN?

From what I can find, some factory branded motorcycle oil's have a real API approval, except for Harley's oil. Their recommended oil is Harley oil. And if that's not available, then to use a Diesel oil they spec. My old owners manual used to say in small print in a spot kinda hidden ,to use a SG rated oil. They don't even mention any other brand of quality motorcycle oil. But Harley charges top dollar for it. And alot of popular motorcycle oils do not have a API cert. Just say it meets or exceeds one. Again they charge as much as if your getting motorcycle oil blessed by the Pope.,,

Just out of curiosity.
AAP has on a closeout shelf, Valvoline Full Synthetic 15W50 motorcycle oil for ~$2.50/qt. I may uses(from time-to-time), a 15W40, 15W50 oil in the Firebird V8 in my signature however, I've NEVER used a specific motorcycle oil. I would buy up the shelf if I can. So, can I use Motorcycle oil in a gasoline car engine?
Can you use car gasoline in a motor cycle?

Good thought, but a motorcycle oil will still need to meet the cold cranking (and MRV) requirements of whatever SAE viscosity grade they are claiming, the same as a car engine oil.

Yes, and that's why motorcycle oils are often 15W-50 and 20W-60 instead of 5W-50 and 10W-60 for PCMOs.

I agree, but nobody mentioned the lacking passenger car approvals before and I thought it should be done.

Weasley, you would know, why are some motorcycle oils the older API SG or SJ, even when a full synthetic and a non-ILSAC grade like 10W40 or 20W50. Yet others have a more modern API SL or SN?
Quite frankly because until quite recently the newer API categories were simply not needed. Bikes tend to use higher viscosities and older ones have no catalyst. Most bikes use the same oil in the engine, gearbox and clutch so thin oils are not really wanted - plus bikes aren't under the same fuel economy or CO2 emissions regulatory pressures that cars have been, so no imperative to push the boundaries.

Just out of curiosity.
AAP has on a closeout shelf, Valvoline Full Synthetic 15W50 motorcycle oil for ~$2.50/qt. I may uses(from time-to-time), a 15W40, 15W50 oil in the Firebird V8 in my signature however, I've NEVER used a specific motorcycle oil. I would buy up the shelf if I can. So, can I use Motorcycle oil in a gasoline car engine?
I bought some of this oil in the 10W 40 variety on the AAP clearance sale and will use it in my 03 Accord, 06 Elantra, and 94 F 150 with no hesitation.

Quite frankly because until quite recently the newer API categories were simply not needed. Bikes tend to use higher viscosities and older ones have no catalyst. Most bikes use the same oil in the engine, gearbox and clutch so thin oils are not really wanted - plus bikes aren't under the same fuel economy or CO2 emissions regulatory pressures that cars have been, so no imperative to push the boundaries.
Thank you for that, but if I may, I still don't understand why I've seen motorcycle 20W50 / 10W40 synthetic with a 1000 - 1100 ppm zinc that is API SG. Why not SL?

Why not SN ?
I can get a PCMO like GTX 20W50 that is SN.
I can get a PCMO 5W40 with 1000 ppm zinc that is SN.

Is it just by claiming SG or SJ there are less tests to do and so it saves money to put SG on the bottle even though the oil would probably pass SL or SN ?

Or are there some fuel economy tests (for example) that GTX 20W50 passes with special adds like friction modifiers, but the motorcycle 20W50 can't pass because they can't use the friction modifiers due to the shared sump on the bike?

Thank you for that, but if I may, I still don't understand why I've seen motorcycle 20W50 / 10W40 synthetic with a 1000 - 1100 ppm zinc that is API SG. Why not SL?

Why not SN ?
I can get a PCMO like GTX 20W50 that is SN.
I can get a PCMO 5W40 with 1000 ppm zinc that is SN.

Is it just by claiming SG or SJ there are less tests to do and so it saves money to put SG on the bottle even though the oil would probably pass SL or SN ?

Or are there some fuel economy tests (for example) that GTX 20W50 passes with special adds like friction modifiers, but the motorcycle 20W50 can't pass because they can't use the friction modifiers due to the shared sump on the bike?
The newer API categories are simply irrelevant to motorcycle engines and impose limits that might be unhelpful. The older categories are also not especially relevant but do at least prove a level of engine performance without multiple constraints or formulating blockers.

The whole bike oil specification area is a bit of a mess - a mix of old API plus some JASO (which only really deals with friction); there's no dedicated bike oil specification so they go with what they have. In reality the oils being put out will share a lot of underlying technology with modern car oils, but kept on the right side of the bike requirements - it's not like they are old-fashioned technology just because they claim old-fashioned specs.

The newer API categories are simply irrelevant to motorcycle engines and impose limits that might be unhelpful. The older categories are also not especially relevant but do at least prove a level of engine performance without multiple constraints or formulating blockers.

The whole bike oil specification area is a bit of a mess - a mix of old API plus some JASO (which only really deals with friction); there's no dedicated bike oil specification so they go with what they have. In reality the oils being put out will share a lot of underlying technology with modern car oils, but kept on the right side of the bike requirements - it's not like they are old-fashioned technology just because they claim old-fashioned specs.
Thanks Weasley, that make a lot of sense, it's good to hear it from someone who knows.

Just out of curiosity.
Just out of curiosity.
I bought some of this on the clearance deal at AAP and will be using it in my 03 4cyl. Accord, 06 Elantra, and 94 Ford F 150 300 inline with no qualms.

Back