Can I use GC 0w-30 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't if you are under warranty. If not, it would be an excellent oil for and OLM interval.

Maybe better off getting EDGE with the rebate - it a good oil. GM usually like lightweight oils and the GC is an A3B3/4 not an A1 A5. Does it sound/feel like the car would want a thicker oil?

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
Currently driving 2006 Impala 3.5L following the OLM. I am using 5w-30 GTX but I did see GC 0w-30 @ Wally World yesterday. Can I use this in my car ? Thanks...

Are you sure it was GC and not regular Syntec 0W-30? They are not the same thing. I've never seen GC at WM.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Originally Posted By: aaxb970
Currently driving 2006 Impala 3.5L following the OLM. I am using 5w-30 GTX but I did see GC 0w-30 @ Wally World yesterday. Can I use this in my car ? Thanks...

Are you sure it was GC and not regular Syntec 0W-30? They are not the same thing. I've never seen GC at WM.

Neither have I

Originally Posted By: speedbump47
Remember...original poster is from Canada. WM in Canada does carry GC.

UH-HA! Thank you for pointing that out my good man!
grin2.gif

talking about German Castrol made in germany 0w30. My cts need the 4718m spec but I'm out of warranty since 110 000kms, do you think if I follow the OLM (about 11k miles) it would be okay or am I going to destroy my engine because of something I dont know?

What I want to do is the first 50% on the OLM and I'll do a UOA. If okay, I'll do 25% more and so on.

It doesn't meet the spec but it does meet bmw longlife and the oil change interval is much more longer with bmw than cadillac. What do you guys think?

GC at WM in Canada? Not in any of the 4 WM's I've ever visited. I'll keep an eye out for it now though :)

Originally Posted By: webfors
GC at WM in Canada? Not in any of the 4 WM's I've ever visited. I'll keep an eye out for it now though :)

I haven't seen it either.
I just buy it by the case from Napa (6 in a case)

Some Canadian Tire stores carry GC, but always double-check because I saw today at Lordco, they also have 0W30 with "Made for MB, VW, BMW" label, but reading on the back of the bottle - it was obvious that the oil is made in USA, definitely not GC we are talking about.

Originally Posted By: webfors
GC at WM in Canada? Not in any of the 4 WM's I've ever visited.

Im in the GTorontoArea and WM is where I got most of my stash of GC in the past (most recently I got it at Part Source and CTire)

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
talking about German Castrol made in germany 0w30. My cts need the 4718m spec but I'm out of warranty since 110 000kms, do you think if I follow the OLM (about 11k miles) it would be okay or am I going to destroy my engine because of something I dont know?

What I want to do is the first 50% on the OLM and I'll do a UOA. If okay, I'll do 25% more and so on.

It doesn't meet the spec but it does meet bmw longlife and the oil change interval is much more longer with bmw than cadillac. What do you guys think?
Forget the UOA wont tell you anything - buy a TBN test kit and do oil test at home. The GC should be better than any 4719 spec oil made in USA. Go the whole 90% OLM. german/ car german oil. Horrible USA gasoline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back