Can I use CV joint grease for anything else?

Had a little project at work that required 4 boots but it's not on an axle so I don't need the grease. Got a couple different brands as nobody had 4 boots in stock. Anyway I saved the grease.

A couple were made in England so I assume it's good quality. But I don't know the specs it has.

Can it be used for wheel bearings?

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_131116794.jpg
    IMG_20220714_131116794.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 44
What's it look like? Probably lithium complex, and if dark grey to black because it has moly then better not to use in high speed bearings like wheel. That doesn't mean you can't, especially if low moly like 5% or less, but it is better used for slower speed, higher load bearings.

I wouldn't assume it's especially high quality grease, probably equivalent to whatever is cheapest at the local auto parts store. Then again, sometimes that's all you need.

Last edited:
that stuff (CV joint grease) is usually black when new & syrupy.
The modern cartridge-type wheel bearings use a lighter color thicker grease than CV joints.
Also when lithium based CV grease co-mingles with petroleum based, they liquify each other & proceed to trash the CV joint.

What's it look like? Probably lithium complex, and if dark grey to black because it has moly then better not to use in high speed bearings like wheel. That doesn't mean you can't, especially if low moly like 5% or less, but it is better used for slower speed, higher load bearings.

I wouldn't assume it's especially high quality grease, probably equivalent to whatever is cheapest at the local auto parts store. Then again, sometimes that's all you need.
I didn't open the packs. No idea what it looks like. I hate to throw away 4 packs of grease.

I didn't open the packs. No idea what it looks like. I hate to throw away 4 packs of grease.
Put the grease in a grease gun and use it on your tractor if you have a bucket or open steering parts.

I'd use it anywhere you need some generic grease and don't want to waste the good stuff. 5th wheel plates, garage door rollers, underside of a coworkers door handles, little dab on the nose pads of their glasses. Lots of good places to put it.

As I understand it, moly-containing grease is so slippery that it causes rolling element bearings to slide, not rotate, in their races. Wears 'em out due to this... Therefore the caution, above.

As I understand it, moly-containing grease is so slippery that it causes rolling element bearings to slide, not rotate, in their races. Wears 'em out due to this... Therefore the caution, above.
I think the key is the percentage of moly in the grease. I think CV grease typically has 5% moly. Ford specified that their vehicles use a moly wheel bearing grease at 3%, IIRC.

I think the key is the percentage of moly in the grease. I think CV grease typically has 5% moly. Ford specified that their vehicles use a moly wheel bearing grease at 3%, IIRC.
OK.... Thx. Another point can be degradation of plastic ball- or roller separators. Moto Guzzi's had an issue with this once, where the mfr had spec'd the addition of a small amount of liquid moly to hypoid gear oil. This was for their final drive, crown and pinion. But some folks added it to their (separate from engine crankcase) gearcase. Promptly destroyed things due to ball and/or roller separators crumbling.

But that was gear oil, not grease.

Last edited:
Back