Can i mix Urethane and Acrylic paint

Hi Friends, .
I want to paint the car to white.
Intensive searching in forums suggested that best shade of the white is GM Arctic White.
I went to a paint shop (who is my customer too), They opened to software and showed me that it is a mixture of pure white paint (99%) with a few drops of blue and other colors.
The issue is that, the colors to mix , suggested by the software, are only available in urethane paint in the shop. Not only is utherene paint 4 times more expensive than acrlylic paint, it also needs extra step of clear coating. My Painter offers me higher price for 2 stage paint job . Since it is white color (forgiving color againts UV related fading and swirl marks), i do not think i need extra protection by clear coat. The car is an old/cheap car too.
The question is, can we mix acrylic pure white with other drops from utherene paints? will they mix well ? Shop owner told that they have different chemistry, so they may not be good together.
Any advice is highly appreciated.

Do not mix them it at all your end result will be absolutely terrible. Automotive paint is a 2 stage procees with a base coat then a clear. Yes its expensive but you get what you pay for. The automotive refinishing process involves many steps and the paint and clear coat must be compatible prefferabley a matched system from thesame manufactuer. Don't try to outhink their chemists, if you try mixing and matching different products you will get a terrible paint job that won't last and will have to be redone and will be even more expensive.

Last edited:
If it's an old cheap car I would stick with a single stage paint but you may have to pick a slightly different color your paint guy should have a good suggestion otherwise Trav has one for you.

I wouldn't mix the two types though it's unlikely to hold up long term if it works at all.

Be interesting to know what the Mfg system is many easy ways around this problem. Just saying Acrylic paint means what type lacquer or Enamel odd he only has white in the Acrylic but no other colors.

Back