Can I go from 5W30 back to 0W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought the car they did 5W30 in it.
But the manual and websites says 0W30.

Can I go back to 0W30? Or will it use and consume more oil now? The car have 228 thousand kilometer (not miles) .

Isn't 5W30 a lot easier to find? Unless you routinely have cold starts below 0°F, 5W30 is fine.
But for the cold start is 0W better right?
In the summer it does'nt matter w30 is w30 right?

You mentioned you did a lot of searching for the other threads you started, did you check any for this topic of winter ratings?

What it means, and more importantly what it does not mean.

Last edited:

Can I go back to 0W30? Or will it use and consume more oil now? The car have 228 thousand kilometer (not miles) .
Was it only one change with the 5w30 or has that been what it’s been using for the bulk of those miles, really it doesn’t matter and I’d feel comfortable running either of those weights.

The difference between the 0w and 5w lubes at cold start would ONLY make a minimal difference below 0F; in the summer it's moot.
However, as that only affects the oil when cold, and most of the time it spends is at full temp (approx 210F give or take some), then the two grades are both "30"s and won't make any appreciable difference during normal operation.

Further, the API grade ratings are ranges and not specific, perfectly constructed viscosities with no variation. Therefore, a slightly thicker 0w-30 would be VERY close to a thinner 5w-30. I'm not saying they are the same, but I am saying that they could be similar enough that any engine would NEVER know the difference.

So, in a matter of frankness, what you're asking about is making much ado about nothing. Seriously ... it's so fractionally minimally different that it's just a fools errand to worry about.

Where are you located and which vehicle is this for?
(Im guessing A 2004 BMW M3 and somewhere in Europe?)

It depends on year/make/model and requirements

0w30 is typically full synthetic with API gasser and Euro versions

5w30 can be conventional, blend, synthetic, API, HDEO, or Euro

So, without more info, no one can really answer your question

The only difference would be on a very cold start where the 0W- would have the advantage. Otherwise your engine will never know the difference.

I'm just about to switch from 5W-20 Castrol Edge to 0W-20 Castrol Edge (both "synthetic"). I had several jugs of 5W-20 bought on sale and then later was able to get 0W-20 on sale. When I bought the 0W-20 I had a choice between 0W-20 and 5W-20, both at the same price.

My manual recommends 5W-20 but I think that on average, a 0W-20 oil will be a better oil. I don't have any really cold starts but I'm doing it anyway.

It’s a free country brothah! I’d use 0W40 because I use it for everything and it’s readily available.

There was a recent thread on this same question.

There was a recent thread on this same question.

What is old is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back