Can I dump the oil out of the filter and reuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put some mobil1 10w30 hm oil and a new mobil oil filter on my 4.8 chevy truck. That oil has my truck going tick, tick,tick at idle. It has about 75miles on it. Can i dump the oil out of the filter and use it again?

Why not? There are a few here that do just that on occasion.
Make sure the matting surface is clean and wipe off the 'O' ring on the filter and re-oil it.
HM oil, M-1 included, is/are on the thick end of the viscosity charts, hard to believe the ;tick' is M-1s fault.
Let us know.

It's also OK just to leave the filter on, and change the oil. I actually do this on my cars, and use the filter for 15,000 miles. UOA's still show insolubles at 0.2%. Your dilution of the oil with the replacement oil will be so great that you'll be able to tell if it was the oil viscosity that caused the tick, or, if you just ahve a stuck lifter.

Quote:

I agree with Titan, just leave the filter alone, change the oil with the M1 syn oil and be done with it.

Harry

Thank you, That is what i will do. The truck is quiet on the regular M1 stuff at least the newer stuff. I did tick like that with the older M1 though. Kinda funny. The thing is quiet as can be with chevron 5-30, havoline 5-30, super tech synthetic and maxlife 5-30. Just thought I would give the M1 HM a try. I don't think it is a viscosity thing. I think it is more of a PAO thing. just sounds like 16 rocker arms going tick, tick, tick. Not loud. Just bothers me.

It makes this ticking noise both cold & hot???

Personally, I would have changed filter brands first - before dumping approximently $25 worth of new oil. You could have drained the filter - then reused it - had you determined 100% that it's the fault of the oil - not the filter brand/style.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with Titan, just leave the filter alone, change the oil with the M1 syn oil and be done with it.

Harry

Thank you, That is what i will do. The truck is quiet on the regular M1 stuff at least the newer stuff. I did tick like that with the older M1 though. Kinda funny. The thing is quiet as can be with chevron 5-30, havoline 5-30, super tech synthetic and maxlife 5-30. Just thought I would give the M1 HM a try. I don't think it is a viscosity thing. I think it is more of a PAO thing. just sounds like 16 rocker arms going tick, tick, tick. Not loud. Just bothers me.

My Civic was noisy with the M1 5W-30 oil. I switched to Amsoil 0W-30 and the EAO20 filter and all traces of the unwanted noise went away. Have you considered the Amsoil combination?

Harry
driving.gif

Quote:

It makes this ticking noise both cold & hot???

Personally, I would have changed filter brands first - before dumping approximently $25 worth of new oil. You could have drained the filter - then reused it - had you determined 100% that it's the fault of the oil - not the filter brand/style.

I have used the mobil 1 filters before with good resaults. I am going to put about 500 miles on the truck today and will see if it still ticks when i get back. I am sure the oil is protecting my engine just fine. If i do dump the oil it will jot be wasted. It will provide service in the lawn mower or the boys dirt bike.

Harry, I am thinking of trying the amsoil oil and filters. I found the 5-30 local but would have to order the filters and the 0w30 if i want them.

What year is the truck?

How many miles are on the truck?

I don't know about the 4.8 Chevy engine,but are the tappets adjustable?

Nothing wrong with the super tech oil. One of the nicer things from Wal-mart. I've read of decent UOA's on here, along with other oils.

Many years I used to use Valvoline 100% synthetic. Available at all Wal-marts (accessible on trips) and seemed to do a decent job. In the conventional oils, it was Valvoline that was usually the lowest in volatility.

Quote:

Harry, I am thinking of trying the amsoil oil and filters. I found the 5-30 local but would have to order the filters and the 0w30 if i want them.

That's how I get mine. I order the stuff on Monday and it arrives on Tuesday! The EAO and the 0W-30 is a solid combination. The oil gets to the bearings in a flash, no engine noise, try it and let me know if you find that to be true for you too.

Harry
driving.gif

I drain and reuse the filter with cheap oil at short intervals. New synth oil gets a new filter, partly because it will be in service for a longer while. Say 2 4k runs on dino it's ok to reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back