Can fresh coolant dissolve old mineral deposits?

You might have good luck checking the Jag forums. (Not saying get lost or anything like that).
I wouldn't take it that way. (y):)

I have done that search too and joined the forums. Historically, I have found different and sometimes better answers on BITOG. I will often post the same questions here that have already been asked elsewhere. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Cheers

Last edited:
In regards to your posted question, no it will not dissolve existing deposits. Formulated coolants have pH buffering compounds that tend to keep the mixture slightly alkaline. You would need an acidic solution to dissolve existing deposits.

Reactions: Yuk
I did search, extensively, nothing I found addressed my specific problem.

Why are you so heavily biased against Prestone? When using the properly spec'd coolant, with proper maintenance intervals, I have found Prestone to be perfectly fine. I think in this regard, proper maintenance is far more important than brand.
For example, this car has only ever had OEM Jaguar coolant in it, yet due to poor maintenance, there is an obvious scaling issue.

Also, this car does not require exotic coolant. Jaguar only specs WSS M97B44-D coolant.
Descaling is just running a water/acid mix through the system to remove deposits then flushing it to ensure the acid is all gone. If anyone here knows, why specifically citric acid is needed versus vinegar I would love to know.

Descaling is just running a water/acid mix through the system to remove deposits then flushing it to ensure the acid is all gone. If anyone here knows, why specifically citric acid is needed versus vinegar I would love to know.
From what I've read citric acid is less damaging to polymers and other sealing components than acetic acid (vinegar) plus it's a more effective descaler.

Back