CAn FP be used every tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to steal a post so i decided to start my own. I have heard that Fuel Power is some serious stuff (Strong solvents) and I believe someone said it can eat through a lucas UCL bottle if stored in one. Is this stuff safe to run every tank? I was thinking of using ONE dose every 6 months right before I change my oil. Would this not be enough to keep my injectors clean in my 99 Jeep 2.5L Wrangler?

not good to drink?.......I find it gives me a wicked buzz and that get up and go..

quote:

Originally posted by wn1998:
not good to drink?.......I find it gives me a wicked buzz and that get up and go..

I get a different reaction, more like a sit down and go.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by wn1998:

I get a different reaction, more like a sit down and go.

more like lay down and go!
fruit.gif

Back to the topic!

Before I know about this board, I use Techron, one bottle in a tank full just BEFORE the oil change. My idea is that the Techron will clean up junk, some of them may get into the oil + some solvent (called blow by
confused.gif
). Therefore, I don't want to accumulate those junk into the oil, that's why use it just before the oil change.

Now I see that people use a regular dose in every tank.

I installed an oil bypass filter on my engine, and checked the oil with 1.5k miles of service whose color was still golden yellow like that of brand new oil. Later I started using FP on every tank for few hundred miles. When I checked the oil again at 2k miles of service, I was surprised to see the color of oil turned dark brown so soon. Replacing the toilet paper and adding one quart of fresh oil turned the color of oil back to golden yellow. I will monitor the color of oil more frequently since I am using LC in the motor oil.

I think FP/LC will dump the junks into oil as they clean the engine. Installing an oil bypass filter is the way to go in driving with clean oil all the time.

Prior using FP I added a bottle of Techron. I have to give credits to both Techron and FP for cleaning up the fuel system.

I too thought that using it a week or so before an oil change was the way to go because I didn't want any crap getting into my oil.

sifan, LC and FP will not dump chunks of anything in the oil for you.

I doubt from your description that FP caused the color change in the motor oil, sounds like a normal add package thermal activation color change.

When you use LC and FP one thing you will notice is that over time they clarify the oil if carbon,sludge,oxidation etc. is indeed the darkening cause.

Collect a couple of ounces of dirty oil and add couple of drops but no more than a ounce of LC , stir then allow let sit for 30 minutes and walk away. When you return the coloration will be lighter unless the cause is activated oil adds. If its caused by oxidation, grime,carbon it will look much cleaner. Imagine what it does in the warm and actively mixed environment in the engine.

Hope that clears up the concerns of chunk development.

Terry

Terry - as you know I have LC in the wife's Volvo 855 with Amsoil 10W-40 (My first ever LC car). I just added the maintenance dose last week and the old looked normal amber light at about 6K. Two days after adding the LC, whammo the oil is VERY dark. Why would the color change come on so fast?

FP comes in a high density polyethylene container.
There is a fuel economy benefit to regular, everyday use. People have reported that it comes out as a wash, with ultimate costs, with the benefit of keeping the fuel system clean and lubricated.
Maybe every other tankful would be OK.

After reading my maintenance log more closely I did not use FP and LC prior the TP change except Techron.

Terry - If FP/LC is advertized as cleaners for removing junks like carbon, sludge, and etc, why would mixing them with dirty used oil in a glass lighten the oil color? What happen to these junks in the glass? If these junks went thru a chemical transformation after reacting with FP/LC(thus, the visible change in color), do they just disolve in the oil and present no harm to the engine (thus, the long OCI)? But carbon is stil carbon, right? Do they get filtered out by oil filter in the engine? If so, would you recommend more frequent changing of the oil filter despite advertized long OCI?

Sifan, LC solublizes contaminants and breaks down carbon to a smaller level thus the cleaning effect of coloration change. We are talking SMALL sizes of things here not clumps or Chunks.

Thanks for the clarification on using Techron and NOT FP. I say from my experience drop the expensive Techron and use FP every tank.

Pabs, I can't answer that question from a chemistry point of view. MolaKule is on vacation so it may be a while before he sees the questioning and can chime in with that angle.

Possibly, and I am educated guessing; the LC is cleaning the carbon components that may have been in the filter and while that process is taking place the smaller particles are being dispersed in the oil. One aspect of LC and FP is that once the small carbon deposits are broken down they are able to be used as a kind of solid lubricant. These are some of the claims that Odis talked about. During our testing we could not confirm or deny that based on the testing. Funding realities limited how much of that kind of testing could be done.

I know that when I use LC is certainly cleans up the oil I use it in and seems to bring back to its original coloration.

Pabs maybe because you added LC at a later time in the oil drain it is cleaning up things and may need a bit more to continue the process. The periodic 1 to 3 ounce boost at 1000 miles is important to keep the solvency at a cleaning level.

I see you guys posted on another thread, I will not post there.

Terry

[ September 17, 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Terry - Do these junks in smaller particle size get filtered out by regular full flow filter or by TP based bypass filter?

Sifan, particles, NOT junks!
shocked.gif
are carbon and so small we would need to measure in angstroms IF they are conglomerated. Neither your full flow or bypass filter will filter these. They get dispersed by the motor oil or stick to the engine components. IF true, one neat aspect of LC being able able to allow these to be used in the oil as a solid lubricant is that we take something that is a wear generator normally and break in down so small that it becomes a lubricant. Based on wear value and insolubles reductions in oil analysis reports I see . Since it is of many different oil brands and filtration setups, whatever the mechanism LC seems to work.

I know that oil filters don't work as hard based on those insoluble/solids/soot readings.

Terry

Thanks Terry - my post was unclear. I did start with LC fresh (normal beginning dose) with fresh oil 6000+ miles ago. All was well, until this latest maintenance dose. Oil was light-medium amber with LC already in it, then I added some LC to top up/maint. dose and whammo - dark.

Pabs, Is it getting cooler there in the mornings yet ? Maybe fuel dilution ? Pabs without testing the oil I can't be sure.

TD

dank and cool (but not cold) rained HUGE last night and this month....but you may be on to something. MPG is down, but hasn't thrown any codes....

UOA coming up soon. I'm ordering some 5W-40.

That engine is one of my nightmares to keep internally clean because they are just nasty dirty burners and will over rich every chance they get. Add thousands of cycles to that and insolubles rise and it takes multiple cleanings to get the analysis results back to like new condition.

Post the results if you can.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back