Can anything reliable be purchased these days for $5k?

Probably worthy of its own thread, but how are the W bodies? real pain to work on? I’ve read that they can get good mpg, and pretty much anything should out pull my 5sfe.
I had an olds intrigue, 2000-ish with the 3.8. Had 200k but felt like 100k. Didn't do too much to it-- wheel bearing, thermostat, strut, but it was typical. 25 MPG.

Most of those cars are probably hot.

The Focus in the 2006-2011 range is actually pretty solid (but not 2012 and newer). In that era they had the Mazda designed engine and conventional automatic transmission. If I were you I would get it inspected by a qualified/experienced mechanic before purchase. If there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel at idle in gear it will need motor mounts, this is a VERY common problem on them.
I think the 2012+ is not bad with a manual trans? It's a much more solid modern car than mine for sure. Around here the 12+'s aren't that much more sometime but maybe those one have been thrashed?

On this car the passenger side mount is liquid filled and only the one from Ford is worth getting, it was $130 up here. Tumbler flaps rattling around in the intake is another issue, I just disconnected the actuator so they stay open and quiet and hopefully don't wear a hole in the intake or fall apart into the engine. The HVAC blend box tends to get sticky, mine is stuck on defrost or foot/defrost. The thermostat isn't fun to change either.
The duratec engine seems to have no common problems at all, like head gasksets, etc, and no timing belt... The manual is nice, don't know anything about the auto.
Check for rocker rust thoroughly too, and maybe see if they've replaced the alternator already? I had an 07 wagon before this one and both had alternators fail at about this mileage. The quality consistency is actually pretty amazing, they have had almost all the same problems at similar mileages.
If you don't mind fixing little things yourself, its not a bad car, if you have to take everything to a garage probably a toyota would be better. Mine just doesn't seem to get any career ending injuries, so in this market I'm running with it. I would always look for a wagon first too as its got equal cargo space to a CRV type SUV.
I can't imagine that particular car will sell real fast with the body damage, so you might get it for much less in a week? Based on the neighborhood I'd think they don't really care about top dollar for it, and it looks well cared for?

If she has just come from the Ukraine it is highly likely she can drive a manual transmission vehicle. Any non sporty car with a manual is likely to sell at a discount. Suggest you buy a Toyota, first off; a Corolla or Echo or Yaris with a manual. You can't really be sure of how many more miles are in the clutch, but you can test out the shifting (do it from bone-cold to full-hot)... Test for synchro action and bearings that "sing" or whine.
Toyota's are good and long-lived cars. I have three in my "sphere".

Surely there must be some manual bargains that can be picked up in the US?
Not in New England area, most were junked by now. Road salt takes out the older ones, and ”no one“ has been buying manuals for a while.

Just a though, if they're from Ukraine then driving a manual shouldn't be an issue? Surely there must be some manual bargains that can be picked up in the US?
For just regular used econo boxes in Canada, manuals seem to be about the same price as the automatic versions. I think the percentage of people who want manuals used, seems be equal to or greater than the percentage sold new in years past.... Now in Canada we've had some basic cars, mostly Hyundai's come with a manual and no A/C which go for less. There's not many places where A/C isn't nice to have for a couple months a year.

My vote goes to Toyota (, Corolla, Yaris, Echo, Scion models), as well as Panther Platform Fords and 3800 non-supercharged GM large-ish sedans. You can find these under $5k in Texas… use cosmetic issues to bring down the price (around here it’s faded paint and dents).

Crown Victoria,Grand Marquis and Town Car. Even at 300K miles they are still reliable if they were maintained properly. Even a CVPI would work if it was a supervisor car as they are well maintained...There are sill CVPI's still in service from Florida to NYC with tons of mileage on them.

Ukraine? 99.9999% knows how to drive manual like a WRC driver.
Anything Honda and Toyota with stick.
VW 2.0 or 2.5ltr engines.
She can drive anything manual from old soviet cars to vans like Mercedes Sprinter :LOL:

Back