Can anything reliable be purchased these days for $5k?

My in-law came from Ukraine, while all the docs are pending she needs to get around with her out-of-country license.
Adding to my vehicles' insurance will be as expensive as buying a used car.
Can you think of any vehicle I can get her for about $5k these days? I know I'm asking for too much, but maybe some model comes to mind? Just a commuter, which wont break down every week.
Thanks folks

Any fifteen year old Corolla.

Any low cost transportation these days is suspect-IMHO.

Reactions: JC1
Any low cost transportation these days is suspect-IMHO.
Yeah but most of those should be cheap to repair. Unless if the trips are long distance then perhaps its worth the gamble.

Reactions: CKN
Any fifteen year old Corolla.
Not in Texas.
ANY Toyota that will pass a safety/emission inspection, has lived here it's entire life (rust free), has a reasonably straight body, has a clean title, and has cold AC will bring quite a bit more money than $5k right now, regardless of age or miles. Keep in mind that the people living here aren't the only ones looking for cheap Toyotas, people from the rust belt states also shop for them here. However, Toyotas with salvage titles can be had within the $5k price range.
A better bet would be a mid or full size older GM product with 3.8L V6 (think Regal or Lesabre). They are good, safe, and reliable inexpensive transportation cars. Furthermore, many/most of them would have been owned by older people who took care of them, didn't abuse them, and kept them in a garage.

Last edited:
The Focus in the 2006-2011 range is actually pretty solid (but not 2012 and newer). In that era they had the Mazda designed engine and conventional automatic transmission. If I were you I would get it inspected by a qualified/experienced mechanic before purchase. If there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel at idle in gear it will need motor mounts, this is a VERY common problem on them.

Last edited:
Back