Can Am UAO @ 3256mi with Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't run away Clevy, I think you are absolutely correct. Experience has shown the owners of the Spyder that Can Am doesn't play well when questioned on their recommendations when under warranty. They market 2 oils, an "All Climate" (assumed to be a clutch friendly 0w40) and a "Summer Grade" (assumed to be 5w40 made by Castrol. They specifically call out other requirements for the oil in the owners manual... no SM, JASO MA, blah, blah, blah. And the sheeple over on the Spyder chatboard are all loyal to Mother Can Am. One gent filled his with 20w50 Amsoil, and I got razzed incessantly about recommending he leave it in, and that the only harm would be to his wallet for changing it out. Rotella is a very fine oil for wet clutch ( I still think VPB has way more clutch "grab" but it's my opinion only) but I do believe that this Rotax engine will chew up any oil pretty quickly. Oil pressure engages the clutch and provides pressure for the shift solenoid on the semi auto model, so it's not only wet clutch and gears, but other components involved in the operation.
Brave Sir, my only point is that the Aprilia model has the identical engine (with the exception of 6th gear being replaced by a reverse) and their only recommendation for engine oil is 15w50, suggesting that other oils besides the xw40 are fine for the powerplant. And yes, sunruh is the go to guy on motorcycle oils, no doubt.

Last edited:
Guys, my concern is not with the engine.
When some clutches failed BRP changed the clutch plates as well as INCREASED the oil flow. If i had this updated clutch I'd run the heavier oil. As it is, just one quart of 20-50 holds the viscosity pretty well. I might also start using 20-50 when adding oil as it uses at least a half quart between changes. But the very fact that that they increased the old flow leads me to believe that too heavy a weight oil in my old style clutch could be problematic. Is this a totally wrong conclusion? I welcome your opinions.

i have to laugh.

i personally know the guys that own the aprilla forum.
Ed and Micah from AF1 racing.
my bike has been on their dyno.
great guys that really know their stuff.

you *might* be able to use some of the super spendy 10w40 like maxima or motul but dang that stuff can ruin a really nice wallet in short order.

a cst of 9.3 is the very bottom of 30wt. as in 9.299 is 20wt
seems like you have a very nice mixmaster there!

if you are going to ride in the winter there in NC maybe look into Castrol Syntec 0w30 (the one that says made in germany on the back). for the summer, i think you may need to look into some nice VR1 20w50

yes, i lived in Raleigh for a stint so i somewhat know the temps.

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i have to laugh.

i personally know the guys that own the aprilla forum.
Ed and Micah from AF1 racing.
my bike has been on their dyno.
great guys that really know their stuff.

you *might* be able to use some of the super spendy 10w40 like maxima or motul but dang that stuff can ruin a really nice wallet in short order.

a cst of 9.3 is the very bottom of 30wt. as in 9.299 is 20wt
seems like you have a very nice mixmaster there!

if you are going to ride in the winter there in NC maybe look into Castrol Syntec 0w30 (the one that says made in germany on the back). for the summer, i think you may need to look into some nice VR1 20w50

yes, i lived in Raleigh for a stint so i somewhat know the temps.

steve

The guys at AF1 are pretty cool to deal with and their site is the premier place for getting parts and advice. In fact the two dealerships here in town that sell aprilia actually use their site to get parts themselves.
I miss my falco and haven't had the heart to go onto aprilia forum since it was stolen earlier this year....grrr

if you get a little clutch slippage after an oil change its easily remedied by popping off the clutch cover removing the plates n fibers then take the plates and lightly rubbing them in a figure 8 pattern on a smooth flat garage floor then clean them thoroughly with something like brake cleaner and then re installing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back