Can a water pump sit dry?

OMG no automotive water pumps are built, installed and tested 100% underwater they even should be shipped and stored underwater. At the GM Arlington plant they have an underwater assembly line for engines. Water pumps must always be in water if not they explode inside the block and clog all the water jackets with aluminum pump guts. I've seen it happen.

OMG no automotive water pumps are built, installed and tested 100% underwater they even should be shipped and stored underwater. At the GM Arlington plant they have an underwater assembly line for engines. Water pumps must always be in water if not they explode inside the block and clog all the water jackets with aluminum pump guts. I've seen it happen.
OH **** FR?

I changed the antifreeze on a saturn s-series as preventative maintenance then the water pump started slowly leaking a day or two later.

I think the cavitation of pumping air bubbles did it in, but have no way of proving it of course.

I think you missed a Comma, otherwise that reads like deadpool with 2 voices in his head.

"OMG no automotive water pumps are built, installed and tested 100% underwater"

The only water pumps I’ve ever gotten, OE Mercedes diesel units, had a waxy (?) thin coating, and we’re wrapped in a waxy brown paper. Obviously they get mounted in the engine and get wet, hot, cold, amd dry off. Good ones don’t rust much, but maybe cheap ones do?

Obviously once in the cooling system, with antifreeze, there is corrosion inhibitor working to protect it...

Back