Can a 2005 Volvo go 300K Miles easily?

Originally Posted by supton
Nice looking cars.

+1
they drive even better than they look.
Once you get used to the seats and interior layout, anything else seems obscure.

[Linked Image]

The 2002 V70 T5. Picture taken a couple of months ago after I got it detailed.

It's in Utah with my daughter, who is a young doctor and big skier. You'll note the steel wheels which have Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted and the Yakima Skybox.

Over 200,000 miles on it now. The turbo engine, big brakes, Bilsteins and IPD sway bars make it fun to drive in the mountains. It still looks good. Still gets her to the hospital at all hours.

Still has wonderful seats, good ergonomics, great heat, headlight washers and seat heaters. Still hauls everything she needs, including four skiers and all their gear.

Darn near perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink
That Volvo is parked rather close to a fire hydrant. I'd back it up a little bit if I was her.

That's where the detail shop guy had parked it... In front of his shop.

I agree, too close!

I moved it right away.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Makes me want one now/////

You should consider upgrading to a Volvo.
Words cannot explain all the enjoyment you are missing.
coffee2.gif

Every Volvo I have ever been in has really good seats. They do this very well.

They have made a point of doing this for a long time. It shows.
Volvo ergonomics

I'm not sure why some other automakers (which shall remain nameless here) do not just imitate what Volvo does with their seats.

These are still highly sought after for good reason. My Dad just sold his '01 V70 T5 with a stick within a day...solid vehicles and I'm all for a good wagon which is hard to find state-side. Great minor feature in these: the retractable nets built in to the back of the rear seats...perfect dog barrier without needing to keep one of those unsightly bar-style contraptions in your trunk.

Be sure to watch Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with David Letterman (Netflix). They drove Letterman's 960 wagon with a Supercharged 5.0 Ford V8 that Paul Newman talked him into. You can read the story of the vehicles conception by doing a google search. Very entertaining.

Originally Posted by VolvoZ
Be sure to watch Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with David Letterman (Netflix). They drove Letterman's 960 wagon with a Supercharged 5.0 Ford V8 that Paul Newman talked him into. You can read the story of the vehicles conception by doing a google search. Very entertaining.

It has been posted here.
There where 3 and Paul Newman was involved in feedback with the custom shop trough the whole project.

Volvo ergonomics

I'm not sure why some other automakers (which shall remain nameless here) do not just imitate what Volvo does with their seats.

I used to strongly believe that only Volvo could make a decent set of seats.
That was until last Feb when I rented a 2019 Altima.
Hoo boy, those seats were amazing! Additionally, despite being AWD, it offered stellar fuel economy on regular fuel.

As for reliability between Nissan and Volvo, I'd say it's a wash.

For those who ask Swedish or Chinese, why not ask American or Swedish?, since Ford owned Volvo for around 10 years or so from 99 to 2010 roughly. Our 04, 05, and 06 Volvos were American I guess, according to some folks logic, but made in Gothenburg Sweden and Belgium from what i can tell. Tons of parts in these Volvos are made in France, Germany, Poland, Spain according to the stickers on the parts. Excellent quality on those parts by the way. Volvo still makes their cars in Sweden and are now making cars near Charleston, SC. Country of ownership of company does not equate to where the car is designed and/or built. I have owned a couple of Toyota Avalons (97 and 07). My late dad derided me for buying a Japanese car while he was driving a Buick Century ("American" car). I had to point out that my Toyotas were built in the US in Kentucky while his Buick was built in Mexico. Oops....

Not sure how the newer Volvos are fairing in terms of quality. Anything newer than 2012 is new to me. I'm trying to avoid buying stuff with TPMS in it! Have a great weekend all!

Originally Posted by VolvoZ
For those who ask Swedish or Chinese, why not ask American or Swedish?, since Ford owned Volvo for around 10 years or so from 99 to 2010 roughly. Our 04, 05, and 06 Volvos were American I guess, according to some folks logic, but made in Gothenburg Sweden and Belgium from what i can tell. Tons of parts in these Volvos are made in France, Germany, Poland, Spain according to the stickers on the parts. Excellent quality on those parts by the way. Volvo still makes their cars in Sweden and are now making cars near Charleston, SC. Country of ownership of company does not equate to where the car is designed and/or built. I have owned a couple of Toyota Avalons (97 and 07). My late dad derided me for buying a Japanese car while he was driving a Buick Century ("American" car). I had to point out that my Toyotas were built in the US in Kentucky while his Buick was built in Mexico. Oops....

Not sure how the newer Volvos are fairing in terms of quality. Anything newer than 2012 is new to me. I'm trying to avoid buying stuff with TPMS in it! Have a great weekend all!

Some new Volvos, including the S90, actually are made in China, including those sold in the US. They switched S90 production from Sweden to China when they switched from SWB to LWB, and they didn't lower the price at all. The Chinese S90 shouldn't cost more than $15k

Also, SenSen makes OE shocks for Chinese Volvos

Had a '93 850 na, got it up to about 330k before a hvac blend door issue was the final straw. I remember doing the gasket behind the oil pump, that was kind of a weird one. Steering rack replacement was a pain.

The quality was so impressive. Not fast without a turbo, but such a solid car.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Volvo ergonomics

I used to strongly believe that only Volvo could make a decent set of seats.
That was until last Feb when I rented a 2019 Altima.
Hoo boy, those seats were amazing! Additionally, despite being AWD, it offered stellar fuel economy on regular fuel.

As for reliability between Nissan and Volvo, I'd say it's a wash.

I've owned four Volvo. 3 of them with leather seats. The seats themselves are extremely well designed and made. Volvo leather is trash even if well cared for. The leather cracks and wears poorly compared to others.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I call BS; everyone knows that only Toyotas, Crown Vics, and Grand Marquis can go 300k miles.

And don't forget the LSX Trucks
thumbsup2.gif
coffee2.gif
cool.gif

This is my 2001 5.3 @ 320K miles. original engine/trans. JUST had a FRESH serving of M1 5W30 Truck/SUV
thumbsup2.gif

My Volvo story:
Growing up as a kid my parents had a few Volvo's in the Late 90's/early 00's. Few 240's and a 88 740GLE wagon. Great cars lots of good memories
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I call BS; everyone knows that only Toyotas, Crown Vics, and Grand Marquis can go 300k miles.

Everyone knows the vehicles you've mentioned do 300k miles on the original factory parts.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by GMguy84

thumbsup2.gif
coffee2.gif
cool.gif

This is my 2001 5.3 @ 320K miles. original engine/trans. JUST had a FRESH serving of M1 5W30 Truck/SUV
thumbsup2.gif

My Volvo story:
Growing up as a kid my parents had a few Volvo's in the Late 90's/early 00's. Few 240's and a 88 740GLE wagon. Great cars lots of good memories
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

[Linked Image]

What does a GM SUV have to do with anything in this thread?

Originally Posted by Toros
Originally Posted by GMguy84

thumbsup2.gif

What does a GM SUV have to do with anything in this thread?

Just the typical thread drift. Someone is curious if a Volvo can crack 300k (albeit tongue in cheek), someone retorts that only CV's and Camry's can do that kind of mileage (as that is the stock answer when anyone is looking for a vehicle capable of >300k) (also tongue in cheek), and then it drifts off into examples of anything that has passed 300k.

I took a VW past 300k to help this drift along...

Last edited:
Back