>Final Comments: Normal results, great wear values for this oil. Toyota
>engine is working fine
>no sign of sludge issues aside from elevated Nox. 6000 miles on this oil if
>it is all climate SL oil
>shows very good results. Could extend to 7000 miles safely. Any questions ,
>comments, fire away.
>Terry

John,

The oxidation/nitration/TBN are typical for this engine. I just tested one with only 9000 total miles on it and it shows the same pattern. Conditions were mostly trips of < 10 miles ....The factory fill was drained @ 5000 miles, so I imagine it was fairly trashed by then.

If your previous oil run was long, that could account for some of the TBN depletion.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

If your previous oil run was long, that could account for some of the TBN depletion.

By the sounds of his post, his previous oil run was the Auto-rx treatment run, with only 600 miles on that batch.

IMHO the TBN depletion is completely normal for this engine/oil combo. When I interpreted it I did not know exactly which valvoline this was.

I was hoping that it was the All Climate SL 10w-30 one I haven't seen in action yet.

The synpower did very well as many petroleum base oils frequently thin to the next lower grade.

I'm impressed.
patriot.gif

Synpower uses a group 3 base oil Terry. Although I consider that to be petroleum as well.

[ October 17, 2002, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

That's very impressive results from a Group III oil. How much oil did your car use in 6,000 miles? When you drained the oil, was it up to the mark?
confused.gif

When I switched from Mobil 1 to this stuff at around 90K (first 5W30, then 10W30), I began to see consumption at around 4,000 miles in my Honda 1.5L 4-cyl. I assumed it was an additive that began to break down, maybe the VII in their 5W30?
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I really don't know how much oil was consumed. I didn't add any oil during the interval. I thinkd I started out slightly above the full line and I was at least halfway between add and full when I drained. I don't add oil until below the halfway point.

I grabbed some Techron yesterday since I don't have schaeffer neutra lying around to help with nitration. I think I will order some neutra and use that too.

IMHO--when you use a 5w30 you are hoping that the manufacturer is using the latest, and less volatile, VIIs and pour point depressants. 10w30 doesn't use as much so their quality is somewhat less an issue.

I'm running Schaeffer Blend 5w30 now and will probably test at 6-8K. I hope the techron and neutra don't mess up the analysis results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back