Calling for a Review of Australia's Gun laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragedy yesterday, when a 14 year old shot his best mate (multiple times) with a shotgun.

Not the Coalition for Gun Control et al are calling for tougher gun laws.

What more could be done, than a total banning, house to house searching of every single household and total confiscation ?

Law - 14 year olds cannot handle a firearm, unless they have a junior's permit, and are under the supervision of a licenced adult.

Law - firearms are to be secured in a safe, of at least 150Kg, or bolted to the structure.

Law - the ammunition and fireng mechanism/bolt must be securely stored elsewhere.

Law - leaving the keys to a safe accessible to an unlicenced person is legally identical to leaving them holding the firearm.

This family have passed through four levels of breach/negligence, how can any additional layer bar confiscation stop this tragic event ?

Ya'll need to get ahold of your radicals over there. People are going to kill people whether you give them guns or not. Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

"Guns kill people like spoons make you fat."

So school kids, felons, criminals, terrorists, etc., should be able to buy and carry any type of weapon in the US, no questions asked, and we'll just deal with the carnage after the fact ?

Hey man, I'm the Texan. We invented that word and ya'll just use it.

---
And 1sttruck - yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Let's arm the criminals to the teeth. In fact, in prison they should be taught basic gun care and marksmanship. That way when they break in my house and I kill them it makes my case a better one in court. I like giving criminals guns, I think every criminal should have one, every student, teacher, worker, and citizen over the age of 12 should have one. I think they should give them away. Also, while we're at it let's hand out grenades and bazookas and tactical nukes. You just never know when you might be in the position to need one.

I think you're in the wrong section, comrade.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
http://optuszoo.news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=683292

Is this the incident ?

There's few details on what happened, who was present, how the weapon was obtained, etc., so anything at this point would be conjecture.

Yep, that's the one.

As to any comment being conjecture, the antis are already calling for a review of the laws.

However, for a 14 year old to be handling a firearm and ammunition in a residential area, 4 laws have already fallen by the wayside (without conjecture)

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

Y'all is not a word, it's a contraction. In a contraction the apostrophe belongs where the missing letters would have gone, whether it's proper English, Ebonics or Texan.

"... Let's arm the criminals to the teeth. In fact, in prison they should be taught basic gun care and marksmanship. That way when they break in my house and I kill them it makes my case a better one in court. I like giving criminals guns, I think every criminal should have one, every student, teacher, worker, and citizen over the age of 12 should have one. I think they should give them away. Also, while we're at it let's hand out grenades and bazookas and tactical nukes. You just never know when you might be in the position to need one."

Good show man, good show, as otherwise you'd be nothing but a gun grabbing liberal.

"... Let's arm the criminals to the teeth. In fact, in prison they should be taught basic gun care and marksmanship. That way when they break in my house and I kill them it makes my case a better one in court. I like giving criminals guns, I think every criminal should have one, every student, teacher, worker, and citizen over the age of 12 should have one. I think they should give them away. Also, while we're at it let's hand out grenades and bazookas and tactical nukes. You just never know when you might be in the position to need one."

Good show man, good show, as otherwise you'd be nothing but a gun grabbing liberal.

YOU GOT IT!!! Arm 'em all. IF they screw up,,crucify them!!

Bob

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

Y'all is not a word, it's a contraction. In a contraction the apostrophe belongs where the missing letters would have gone, whether it's proper English, Ebonics or Texan.

Actually, no. It's a grammaticalisation. It is a word that did stand for you all at one point but exists now as a word in it's own right with a potentially different meaning than it's origin. One of the hallmarks of a grammaticalization is the loss of it's original morphology, as 'ya'll.'

Last edited:
This is starting to shape up as a dry emotionless thread..
27.gif

Here, let me juice it back up for you:

It's a shame that a boy is dead. Regardless of what one's ideas are about what precautions should have been taken or what laws should have been inacted, it would be missing the point entirely to focus on those things. The point here is a boy has been killed needlessly and it's a shame.

"However, for a 14 year old to be handling a firearm and ammunition in a residential area, 4 laws have already fallen by the wayside (without conjecture)"

Was the parent in the house ? Are weapons allowed to be cleaned in the home, scopes mounted, dry firing allowed, etc ? Did the kid who was shot attack the kid who shot him ? Seems like there are possibly a number of details to consider, although when I looked the police weren't releasing any.

As opposed to expecting a set of laws to prevent all of a given set of incidents, it's usually more realistic to look at trends and possible correlation for effectiveness.

"As opposed to expecting a set of laws to prevent all of a given set of incidents, it's usually more realistic to look at trends and possible correlation for effectiveness."

Very true, however this has not been the method employed by lawmakers.

Are weapons allowed to be cleaned in the home, scopes mounted, dry firing allowed, etc ?

Yes they are, but how do ammunition and firearm come together, when one has to be in a locked box, stored seperately from the firearm ?

Did the kid who was shot attack the kid who shot him ?

It's impossible to mount a defence related shooting case in Oz. Firearms MUST be stored in a safe with three locks. Ammunition stored seperately, in another locked container.

By the time you get the equipment unlocked, assembled, and ready for action, somebody has been beating on you with a pipe for 10 minutes.

Father is being interviewed, and faces multiple charges...which is as it should be.

I trust they drop the murder charge on the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back