Calling all Hams

Recently charged up my old 2m Yaesu HT. I had to update the tone frequencies on some of stored repeaters on the unit.

I’ve been scanning the airwaves the last couple of days. Doesn’t seem like as much traffic as I remembered. Anyone licensed?

I'm guessing ham radio license holders are dying off and not being replenished by younger people getting into the hobby.
Kinda like what happened to model trains.
I use to go to the Dayton Hamvention as a kid with my dad when it was at the Hara Arena. I really enjoyed it.
73's

N8YQM here. I hear very little on 2 meters. I try to do some CW on HF, but I'll admit I'm not very fast at it. I will agree I don't think younger people are all that interested; I was once talking with a co-worker about how I had made contact with a station in the Ukraine on 20 meters despite just a small loop antenna on my balcony. He just shrugged and said that anyone can do that over the Internet. Trying to explain it's not the same thing was useless.

Much of the VHF/UHF activity has shifted away from conventional FM repeaters to digital modes such as D-Star, DMR, Fusion/C4FM, and P25, which are accessed using an HT or mobile rig either through the various mode's repeaters or from USB dongles (mini multi-mode low power transceivers) which connect to the internet and then into the various radio-internet networks.

There's a lot of information on the digital forum on eham.net (https://www.eham.net/community/smf/index.php?board=10.0)

de wb0egr

I'm guessing ham radio license holders are dying off and not being replenished by younger people getting into the hobby.
Kinda like what happened to model trains.
I use to go to the Dayton Hamvention as a kid with my dad when it was at the Hara Arena. I really enjoyed it.
73's
Actually, there are over 750,000 licensed amateur radio operators in the USA. Now, that does not mean they are all active, but there are more people licensed than ever.

de wb0egr

There are a ton of 2 meter repeaters around here. Not much activity on most of them and some of them I never hear anyone on.

Most of the activity is on HF

VHF/UHF repeaters have been dead for quite some time now. Try listening around commuter time. Search for any nets in your area. It's the only time our repeaters get any use.

I would recommend you google "Alabama amateur radio repeaters" and find the frequency of your local repeaters.

VHF analog is still a viable communications avenue.

Most amateur clubs have repeaters as well as some individuals.

Most repeaters use a tone to open the repeater, so you will have to program your HT with not only the frequency but the tone as well.

During tornado season repeaters are quite busy.

My local repeater's activity was dropping off when I was active; recently I got another radio, gave a listen and found even less activity. Without putting up a tower I won't get anything at home, and where I'm not commuting at the moment I couldn't do that if I wanted to--but it's been a while since I've heard any activity. That said, I enjoyed 2m FM on a repeater; reasonable range and easy to use. HF mobile is more work, with fading and issues of its own. I finally gave up on mobile radio altogether, was great fun but not what it used to be. For me anyhow. YMMV.

Haven't made the jump into DMR. Maybe some day I'll try, but each time I looked, it seemed like a mobile was not a small investment.

Back