California Smog Check - codes not ready

My parents asked me to help them with their 2008 Nissan Rogue which doesn’t get much use these days. I got burned last time I did a Smog Check where the codes weren’t ready and I had to pay a no pass fee, although it was partially applied to my final fee. One employee used a scan tool and checked to see if the conditions were ready.

So I checked and found the O2S and CAT conditions weren’t ready. I drove it around lunch and so far it looks like the O2S is ready, but not CAT. I’m thinking that might be the longest to be ready. In any case I’m not going to take it for the actual test until these conditions are ready. Any thoughts on how much driving might be needed for the last co diction to be ready? Most newer vehicles don’t even get a tailpipe test any more - just plug in to the ECU to see if it says everything is fine.

I had the same issue. As it turns out, I discovered that the downstream oxygen sensor had a bare spot worn in its wiring insulation and was grounding itself on the heat shield. Next, a new downstream sensor oxygen was installed by me. I had to remove the heat shield to access it and subsequently had to replace the rivets securing the heat shield to the car. After that, the car passed smog with flying colors.

Get it on the highway for some high speed driving, the faster and longer the better, ask me how I know. :D

Its really hard to predict. My Nissan's sometimes take a while - like 20 or so miles - for that last one.

Why are they not ready? Did you reset something or fix something?

Its really hard to predict. My Nissan's sometimes take a while - like 20 or so miles - for that last one.

Why are they not ready? Did you reset something or fix something?

Had a problem with the battery and tried a lot of things including disconnecting the battery. Sanded down the insides of the clamps to improve contact. Seems to be OK now, other than it’s not ready for testing.

However, I’m not sure if it was ready since it got very little use over several months.

My parents asked me to help them with their 2008 Nissan Rogue which doesn’t get much use these days. I got burned last time I did a Smog Check where the codes weren’t ready and I had to pay a no pass fee, although it was partially applied to my final fee. One employee used a scan tool and checked to see if the conditions were ready.

So I checked and found the O2S and CAT conditions weren’t ready. I drove it around lunch and so far it looks like the O2S is ready, but not CAT. I’m thinking that might be the longest to be ready. In any case I’m not going to take it for the actual test until these conditions are ready. Any thoughts on how much driving might be needed for the last co diction to be ready? Most newer vehicles don’t even get a tailpipe test any more - just plug in to the ECU to see if it says everything is fine.
I was an emissions Inspector in Colorado for a year. If something resets the ecu it can cause this. The only way to get it set properly is to look up the proper reset protocol for the manufacturer. Hondas are usually very straightforward, 200 miles then it's reset. I had a lady come in the day before Thanksgiving and same thing system not ready. I can't remember what type of suv she was driving but the reset steps were crazy. Ten steps were required and they were very specific.

I was an emissions Inspector in Colorado for a year. If something resets the ecu it can cause this. The only way to get it set properly is to look up the proper reset protocol for the manufacturer. Hondas are usually very straightforward, 200 miles then it's reset. I had a lady come in the day before Thanksgiving and same thing system not ready. I can't remember what type of suv she was driving but the reset steps were crazy. Ten steps were required and they were very specific.
I certainly believe you, but I have owned Nissan's and been active in a number of Nissan boards for 15 years and never heard of Nissan having any sort of special procedure. They do need to see a lot of conditions - for example if all your driving is highway, it may need some stop and go. If its all stop and go - it may need some sustained speed, etc.

Well, you had just disconnected the battery so of course the CAT monitor will not be ready.

Drive cycle should be in the repair manual under Engine control:

I certainly believe you, but I have owned Nissan's and been active in a number of Nissan boards for 15 years and never heard of Nissan having any sort of special procedure. They do need to see a lot of conditions - for example if all your driving is highway, it may need some stop and go. If its all stop and go - it may need some sustained speed, etc.
Refer to pages EC-468 and EC-469

1704330343165.jpg

1704330371787.jpg

I guess if you have a test track you can coast from 56 to 0mph, then accelerate to 56mph - while monitoring vehicle speed with GST.

Or you can just drive around a bit.
Point was, an official procedure exists.
If you just drive it, you will eventually operate the vehicle under the parameters required to complete the drive cycle. But depending on one’s operating conditions, it may take a very long time.

OP
If you disconnect the battery, all the monitors are reset. If you erase any codes including Pending ones the monitors are reset. Why don't you borrow your parents car and drive for a couple of days. All the monitors will clear by themselves unless there was a problem to begin with.

BTW in NYS you can have any one monitor not ready and still pass the OBD test.

Ahh only in California is there a no pass fee. I guess it might be similar in Colorado where you pay the full-price and if you don't pass have 30 days to get your vehicle re-smogged. The second re-test is free.

Part of the drive test requires that it has more than 1/4 tank of gas but less than 3/4. Has to be a cold start and driven without shutting it off at any time. Turning the engine off stops the cycle. So if you move it out of the garage then shut it off to go open a gate it won't ever run it's cycle

Ahh only in California is there a no pass fee. I guess it might be similar in Colorado where you pay the full-price and if you don't pass have 30 days to get your vehicle re-smogged. The second re-test is free.

It depends on the shop. I've heard of some that won't charge if it doesn't pass.

But the time I had an issue, when I brought it (the first time) back one employee came in with a scan tool to check the status and told me to come back after more time to get the status as ready for everything required. But I didn't get charged for that. They would at least charge a no-pass fee for hooking up the official equipment.

Back