California slashes residential solar feed-in rates

There's a similar delusion with Coal, that they "have" to run baseload, and dump energy.

Nukes can follow load...37-93% load in the attached link...Coal can be very flexible too (ask me how I know)....

Only reason that you NEED GT like ins and outs on a daily basis is if you have too much non schedulable power in the grid at (say lunchtime), and it has to push schedulable energy out, or there's not enough pumped hydro (or less useful storage) to soak up the excess...

Yeah thermal plants will Always be more flexible than nuclear.
The way prc runs them here is pretty much just on/off.

Years ago I read about a company working on a gyroscope they would use an electric motor to spin up to like 50K RPM when there was excess grid power.

When they needed power they flipped a switch and they would use the inertia to spin the electric motor, turning it into a generator. Electric motors and generators are very similar. One you put power in and it spins, the other you spin and get power out - there both windings and magnets.

It seemed like a good idea to me. Anyone else heard of this? It would be a way to turn nuclear power into a way to handle peak?

Many homes were built with baseboard / no forced air. Depending on construction, retrofit can be a large capital expense. Yes, likely would pay for itself over time, but someone has to find the money to begin with. Easier said than done for a lot of people, which are usually the same people struggling to pay the electric bill.
Maybe cheaply built homes from the post ww2 era? Older homes had boilers and radiators or similar systems. Coal/oil/gas were installed over time.

My point was just that my parents knew that electric was expensive in the 80s, before solar or net metering or anything else. I remember them doing the research and evaluating the trades. So it just surprised me that it would be done at all in Canada.

That said, if it was like northern Norway where hydro power and relatively low demand made electricity nearly free, and now that’s turned on its head, that’s a different story again.

But isn't it worth it to not strip mine the entire planet for steel and concrete to have power that works at night.
Plus nuclear isn't the answer. It can only make 50 to 70% of power because nuclear doesn't like to vary it's power output and they don't turn off and turn back on so easy. When they trn off they have to stay off for 24 to 48 hours. So really nuclear is only around half to about 2/3 of the answer.
France claims some of their NPP’s can ramp 5%/minute and some of their plants drop 50% at night. The rest of EU wants their NPP’s operating continuously at 50-100% with a 3%/min ramp rate, and can cycle between minimum and maximum output twice a day/5x per week/200x a year.

Why would anyone in a cold climate with a “legacy” home heat with electric baseboard?!?

I've seen a few houses in Northern VA that have electric baseboard heat. One thermostat per room to control the baseboard heat. Most were built in the 70s and prior.

Maybe cheaply built homes from the post ww2 era? Older homes had boilers and radiators or similar systems. Coal/oil/gas were installed over time.

My point was just that my parents knew that electric was expensive in the 80s, before solar or net metering or anything else. I remember them doing the research and evaluating the trades. So it just surprised me that it would be done at all in Canada.

That said, if it was like northern Norway where hydro power and relatively low demand made electricity nearly free, and now that’s turned on its head, that’s a different story again.
Hydronic heat is a very Northeast thing. Was not a thing at all on the plains or northern Midwest.

Electricity used to be cheap in those areas. It would make sense that it was also cheap in Canada. In the 70's and early 80's during the oil embargo heating oil/diesel heat would be expensive. People building houses all through the 70's and 80's remembered the spikes. Plus you had to have a large tank to store it, and ductwork to move it around. Central AC wasn't really a thing in those regions because summers were short so ductwork could be avoided with a baseboard. A baseboard which was cheap to install, clean, no storage, and you could set each room individually - ie what they now call zoning.

Once natural gas became popular in the mid 90's most house construction transitioned to that if they had access.

Central AC wasn't really a thing in those regions because summers were short so ductwork could be avoided with a baseboard.

There's a bunch of houses around here built in the 1960s with hydronic heat. Summers are anything but short around here (it's hot enough to grow cotton in this area). I think those houses were just built as cheaply as possible and hydronic heat was one way to keep the cost down, compared to a furnace and ductwork.

There's a bunch of houses around here built in the 1960s with hydronic heat. Summers are anything but short around here (it's hot enough to grow cotton in this area). I think those houses were just built as cheaply as possible and hydronic heat was one way to keep the cost down, compared to a furnace and ductwork.
I worked briefly for a company that manufactured electronic HVAC controls - and the only place they sold resedential hydronic stuff was the Northeast. Your pretty close to DC - which is sort of the line between Northeast and Southeast, so not all that surprised given central air was a 70's thing at best, so no need for forced air with hydronic . You didn't see it much South of you because heating becomes a secondary consideration anyway. Didn't see it in the Midwest or plains much - no idea why - maybe just housing construction in general was cheaper?

I've seen a few houses in Northern VA that have electric baseboard heat. One thermostat per room to control the baseboard heat. Most were built in the 70s and prior.
I’ve seen it like that in beach houses built in the 60s/70s, complete with aluminum wiring. But they were three month homes.

Hydronic is more efficient and was more cost effective back in the days of low combustion efficiency and cheap oil and gas.

I’ve seen it like that in beach houses built in the 60s/70s, complete with aluminum wiring. But they were three month homes.

A lot of the crappy 60s/70s houses around here have aluminum wiring complete with Federal Pacific Electric breaker panels. I'm surprised that more of them haven't gone up in flames.

A fried of mine owns one of those houses. Anyone who says that 60s construction was better hasn't seen this crap.
I’ll never live in a post ww2 home if I can avoid it.

But, relative to solar, I would go solar but my hip roof and lots of tall shade trees makes it not worth it. I wish the cost of a net meter and install wasn’t so prohibitive (I could easily DIY), but I’d want like a micro inverter 800w system that could get ideal full sun and just offset load. But that doesn’t fit the installers’ model. It would be cost effective, better performing throughout the day/year, far lower capital cost, and work better.

It looked like a big cube with the intake on one side and the discharge on the other side. Not like modern condensing units that have the intake on all 4 sides and the discharge out the top.
I have seen what I think your describing - a flat coil on one side and a fan blowing air through it from the other side. Commercial units were like that much longer. Might still be?

Back