California PepBoys Auto Parts closing

Not at the one in Pleasant Hill close to me. The news says they will keep those in regional markets where they do well. I suspect Pleasant Hill may be one of them.
The report states all 109 retail parts stores to be turned over to Advanced Auto and Pepboys to continue with service and tire sales. That would be every PepBoys parts store in California. There are already 30+ service only centers that will remain with the rest to follow. Here is an article about it. : https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/...ance-auto-parts-in-major-california-expansion

Last edited:
Dragging up this old thread...I hadn't heard of Pep Boys closing and was looking for some batteries, for a dual system in my Jeep, about a month ago and stopped by a local Pep Boys in Harbor City. The place had workers in there remodeling. The service bays were open.

This process of changing over to Advance is taking a long time.

Not at the one in Pleasant Hill close to me. The news says they will keep those in regional markets where they do well. I suspect Pleasant Hill may be one of them.
PHill is now a full Advance, the Carquest that was in Walnut Creek on Parkside near Mercedes and Toyota moved there.

It’s about a good 10-15% more than AZ or OR.

PHill is now a full Advance, the Carquest that was in Walnut Creek on Parkside near Mercedes and Toyota moved there.

It’s about a good 10-15% more than AZ or OR.
Stevens Creek in San Jose is going Advanced. Can anyone enlighten me about AAP, besides that they sell expensive batteries lol ?

Dragging up this old thread...I hadn't heard of Pep Boys closing and was looking for some batteries, for a dual system in my Jeep, about a month ago and stopped by a local Pep Boys in Harbor City. The place had workers in there remodeling. The service bays were open.

This process of changing over to Advance is taking a long time.
I don’t know how they are in business elsewhere.

Happened to one of the pepboys near me in NY. They transitioned from a parts store/service to just service/tires. The one on the other side of town stayed open as a parts store as well.

A few years back VIP Parts & Service in Northern NE split, letting O'reillys handle the parts end while VIP did tires & service.

Seems maintaining a parts inventory across dozens of locations ties up a lot of money. I did like when they still had parts-- could get "white box" rotors for my saturns for $15 a pop.

We (customers) asked for this two-tier system-- cheap stuff in two days via rockauto and its drop-shipping, without inventory to maintain. And "I want it now" which Advance fulfills in its awkward, expensive, mid-quality way.

People taking their cars to run-of-the-mill independents when they break are going to have a way worse time than those of us who can see repairs coming, schedule them, order online, and DIY.

Back