California PepBoys Auto Parts closing

All 109 PepBoys Auto Parts stores in California are closing and being leased to Advanced Auto Parts by the end of this year. PepBoys will keep the service side of the business.

Manny, Moe and Jack. The Pep Boys. They sure had been around for a long time. There is even a nod to them on a Three Stooges short where they are called "The Pip Boys".

I haven't shopped at one in years but it was more a circumstance of other auto parts shops being much more convenient. I can remember buying a set of new tires from Pep Boys back in 1971 and they were about $25 each. Bias ply of course.

The business news from, say, 3 years ago mentioned Pep Boys wanting to sell or rebrand their service section.
Looks like that happened but in a different order.
I used to get mailings twice a year which included a $5 coupon and other discount coupons for service.
I had to hunt to find anything which, even with a fiver off, was worth buying.
Pep Boys always seemed to me to be a "toy store". Floor mats, cheap radios, steering wheel wrappers....

The business news from, say, 3 years ago mentioned Pep Boys wanting to sell or rebrand their service section.
Looks like that happened but in a different order.
I used to get mailings twice a year which included a $5 coupon and other discount coupons for service.
I had to hunt to find anything which, even with a fiver off, was worth buying.
Pep Boys always seemed to me to be a "toy store". Floor mats, cheap radios, steering wheel wrappers....
Bridgestone wanted to buy out Pep Boys and add to their Firestone company stores. Carl Icahn(who also owns Driv Automotive, formed by the merger of Tenneco and Federal-Mogul Motorparts’ Wagner/Moog/National/Champion brands) put the kibosh on that and set the wheels for Pep Boy’s current form.

The Critic mentioned to me that all the former FM brands are starting to limit distribution outside of Pep Boys. I’ve seen more Driv brands on Amazon as well.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
The one around here did this about a year ago. It was 50% off for a few weeks and then 70% off a few more.

Bridgestone wanted to buy out Pep Boys and add to their Firestone company stores. Carl Icahn(who also owns Driv Automotive, formed by the merger of Tenneco and Federal-Mogul Motorparts’ Wagner/Moog/National/Champion brands) put the kibosh on that and set the wheels for Pep Boy’s current form.

The Critic mentioned to me that all the former FM brands are starting to limit distribution outside of Pep Boys. I’ve seen more Driv brands on Amazon as well.
Carl Icahn 🤬
Everything he touches turns to garbage, and he flys out on a golden parachute

All 109 PepBoys Auto Parts stores in California are closing and being leased to Advanced Auto Parts by the end of this year. PepBoys will keep the service side of the business.
I thought there are still some that aren't closing (I heard San Carlos aren't).

One out my way is selling everything at 50% off as we speak. Until just recently there had been no sign of the parts operation at that store closing. A mechanic buddy said the tools were wiped out immediately after the sale began and he missed the chance to buy any.

Haven’t stepped foot into pep boys in so long I forgot they existed. Only redeeming factor was their product selection. More than Autozone/advanced because the stores were generally bigger. But customer service has always been sub par. Last time I was there the guy didn’t want to refund a return. Never went back. I go to NAPA now.

They started closing them in Texas last year. I used to love Pep Boys and even worked at one as a teenager. Somewhere along the line they were selling more scooters and other junk then good car parts. I went in one of the remaining stores in Arlington a few months back to see what was going on. I walked out empty handed - nothing worth it and they were overpriced on oil and filters and just about everything else. That store was empty - it will probably close soon as well or be a service center only.

I notice that with several stores in my neighborhood. They devote huge amounts of floor space selling high-margin (but slow-selling) stuff.

Selling a plastic Frazit that sticks to the windshield works for them, so that’s what you get.

Back