cable quality / RAM effects on DSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, finally upgraded to DSL from dial up. Began with a 1.5MB package for only $20 more than dial up, (theu Embarq), and will upgrade if needed to 3MB, but we're perfectly happy for now for what we do online.

I'm a person who believes in good cables, whether hifi or PC stuff.Of course we're using the no name modem and ethernet cables that came in the box from the ISP.

Is getting some better, shielded cables with better build quality important? has anybody noticed a difference in this area after upgrading the cables?

also: is adding more RAM to the PC important to get the optimum speed?

(right now: i tested the download speed: it's 1.465 MBps, which is pretty close to the theoretical 1.5)

Thanks.

Speed has little to do with RAM, assuming you're not running XP with only 64MB.

Good cables may help, but I've been happy with the NewEgg Cat5E el'cheapo's for about $4 each.

Quote:

OK, finally upgraded to DSL from dial up. Began with a 1.5MB package for only $20 more than dial up, (theu Embarq), and will upgrade if needed to 3MB, but we're perfectly happy for now for what we do online.

I'm running 3.6 Mbbs down with my present service. It's not noticeably faster than the old 2.4 I had unless I happen to be downloading large files from a fast source with good connections all the way. It's a small percentage of the time that all those conditions happen at once.

Quote:

Speed has little to do with RAM,

When I expanded my RAM from 512MB to 1 GB, the first thing I noticed is how much quicker my DSL changed from screen to screen. This may be due to only having integrated graphics, which share RAM, and more has probably been allocated to video.
dunno.gif
but sure like the results.
banana.gif
banana.gif
cheers.gif

You guys will love my 5 foot ethernet cable I got at Dollar tree!

They may be out of tropartic synthetic blend but the computer section rocks. Also got a universal remote there and they have PS2 scroll wheel mice if you need one!
laugh.gif

Really if anything would help your DSL its having really good connections in your house telephone system. If you're bored, try disconnecting the house at the network interface then plugging the modem into the jack provided there.

Little/no gains probably mean the hardware can do more but the modem is "capped" at 1.5. Not bad.

Your talking about replacing 5 feet of cable that probably spans 10,000 feet to your Central Office. Ever get a bad connection on a phone call that gets better if you hang up and call back? It's not your house wiring causing it. Don't sweat the CAT5 cables. They have to meet certain bandwidth requirements to be labeled CAT5 anyway.

If you're getting so close to your rated speed, don't worry about cabling. It won't get any better than that. Broadband modems are capped at their rated bandwidth limit. Considering normal overhead and latency, you're doing very well.

If however, you're not satisfied, don't worry about the ethernet cable. That operates at 100 Mb/s and is almost certainly not a bottleneck. DSL is dependent on good quality phone connections.

Quote:

Cat 5 cables only have good signal over a 300 foot span. Longer than that and you need fiber optic.

With 10baseT, you can go up to 450 feet on Cat 5.

10BaseT was originally designed for unrated telephone wire (not even Cat3) and the better specifications of Cat 5 allow for longer distance.

This is "unofficial", though.

Also, if you use HomePNA, you can go up to 1200 feet or more.

Last edited:
Quote:

..has anybody noticed a difference in this area after upgrading the cables?

I'm showing a faster download speed after replacing the section of coaxial cable that feeds my cable modem with a thicker, better shielded, better connected pc of coax. The best I can do as far as download speeds with my adelphia powerlink (soon to be roadrunner) is 4.5Mbps. Upload is ~450. Then again, it better be good for ~$50/mo once all the taxes and fees are added.
frown.gif
Other than that, for all my USB, camera, printer cables, etc.. you absolutely cannot beat dollar store cables! Radio shaq will charge you $20-40 for the same cables.

Joel

For coaxial cables, my cable company has given me all the cables I want and then some. Everytime they've been here on a service visit they make another cable, it seems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back