Cabbage Soup with Moong Dal

I'm eating a lot of beans lately, actually with every meal, and these foods have turned around my sluggish bowels to say the least!
The soluble fiber in legumes really seems to clean house.

I make cabbage soup 1x or 2x a week, then I add legumes to it after it's made.
I like it with lemon juice, some tomato, plenty of salt & pepper, and enough EVOO to enhance the flavors. It's a good way to eat cabbage.
This bowl I added yuca and pre cooked red potato. I also drink a pint of water with my meal.

I fry the onion, celery and carrot in my Instant Pot, then I add broth or water (it's good either way IMHO), and the cabbage and pressure cook it for 5 minutes or so.
I go by this gal's recipe. (I've got a crush on her, but don't tell anybody, lol).

Downshiftology Cabbage Soup

P5050224.JPG

Last edited:
The spiral sliced ham lasted for a few days, after Easter then I cut most of the meat off the bone. I also peeled 6 carrots and gave this to my foodie son who added it to a LB of black beans and the end of a bag of pearl barley. He cooked it in his pressure cooker. I skimmed about a 1/4" of fat off the top and had it for lunch, Mon, Tues and Wed. Delish ! and there's a dish of baked BBQ beans/chili? waiting in the fridge.

Well this is not fair, the beef industry gets all the blame for all their cows releasing methane gas 24/7 and yet Mr Luke gets a pass to blow it out his a$$ and call it a culinary event :ROFLMAO: .

If only your car ran on methane… but seriously, cabbage has anti carcinogenic properties. One study showed Southeastern Wisconsin as having a lower rate of colon cancer… must be all the German/Polish folks eating sauerkraut. Another study showed raw or lightly cooked cabbage consumption reduced breast cancer risk.

If only your car ran on methane… but seriously, cabbage has anti carcinogenic properties. One study showed Southeastern Wisconsin as having a lower rate of colon cancer… must be all the German/Polish folks eating sauerkraut. Another study showed raw or lightly cooked cabbage consumption reduced breast cancer risk.

It's all the cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and the allium family of onions, garlic,. leeks. etc.
I eat lots of them every day.

Beans don't cause gas at all for me because my gut flora has adapted to them.
I think it typically take a few days to a week or so to adapt to eating beans every day.

Back