C7 Corvette

I recently went for a ride/drive in a friends C8 Corvette. I didn't really care for it. But it got me thinking that a C7 with a manual transmission might be fun. So for those that are familiar with these cars, what options would you recommend to look for?

Had a C7 Grand Sport, with an auto though. Definitely get Z51 if you get a standard C7. Great cars. My GS rode quite a bit firmer than my FIL’s C8 FWIW.

I have had every generation Corvette with the exception of a C1 and C2. The C7 is far better than the predecessors and I am sure the C8 is an improvement as well. Not sure why you think a manual would be much better if you didn't really care for the C7 in the first place. Definitely get the 2lt or 3lt and don't just settle for the base. After that decide if you want a couple or convertible. Then decide how much you want to spend. You can buy Grand Sport or the Z-06 if you want to really want to spend some money.

I have had every generation Corvette with the exception of a C1 and C2. The C7 is far better than the predecessors and I am sure the C8 is an improvement as well. Not sure why you think a manual would be much better if you didn't really care for the C7 in the first place. Definitely get the 2lt or 3lt and don't just settle for the base. After that decide if you want a couple or convertible. Then decide how much you want to spend. You can buy Grand Sport or the Z-06 if you want to really want to spend some money.

I didn't care for the C8. A big factor was the lack of a manual trans.

What do 2lt and 3lt entail? Or Z51 that another member mentioned?

This would just be a fun car to leave stock, and go for rides in. We have another sportscar, but it has become a bit extreme for relaxed cruising.

I didn't care for the C8. A big factor was the lack of a manual trans.

What do 2lt and 3lt entail? Or Z51 that another member mentioned?

This would just be a fun car to leave stock, and go for rides in. We have another sportscar, but it has become a bit extreme for relaxed cruising.
Personally I love the C8 because Zora Duntov, the founder of the Corvette wanted a mid-engine car for years. The 2LT comes with things like heated seats, drivers power seat, heated mirrors and lots of extras over the 1LT. The 3LT is more loaded up. The Z-51 has a lower ratio rear end ratio, better stabilizers and coolers for the engine and transmission and many more options such as brakes and sway bars etc. You get what you pay for with a Corvette and there is an old saying. "The best Corvette is the one you pay the most money for." There are many forums you can check if you really want to know about Corvettes. Plus...Corvette's have a cult following and are very easy to resell.

I would look for a manual gearbox and round tail lights :)

C6 Grand Sport with manual transmission is a great car.

C7 Grand Sport also a great car for the money.

Not that fastest but great for the canyon roads.

Ha! This is a manual trans vs an automatic trans thread. If you want a manual buy one....they are about $1750.00 to replace a clutch on a C7 Corvette. Go ahead and buy that MT and I will keep my easy to sell 2014 automatic that anyone can drive. End of story folks.

It wasn't my intention to offend...

I have never owned a Corvette. I've driven a bunch. If I do buy one, it will need to have a manual trans. As alluded to in my initial post. I'm not worried about possibly replacing a clutch. I have the lift, the tools and the background to do so if needed.

I just figured that there might be those here who could educate me on the variations and options available on a C7.

A manual trans will always command more resale value over an auto in any model year. I think it is more fun as well even though the computer controlled autos will outperform even the best stick shift driver.

I currently own: '67, 94, 06 and 07 Corvettes and that is where I stop. I don't care much for the looks of the C7 but it is growing on me as I see the ones coming to me for service. I am no fan at all of the C8. I have been looking for a nice 80-81 2-tone paint 4 speed manual C3 to purchase.

BTW @02SE : If you haven't figured it out already, "2LT & 3LT" are trim level packages. These two are the highest available.

I concur with all prior comments about looking for either of them.

Good luck in your Corvette Quest!

I have my brother in law checking out this Z06.

148846-1696998113-641240.jpg

So my BIL looked at the car today. Being a former Dealer he knows his stuff. Very low miles, very clean, but priced waaaay high in his opinion. I made a reasonable offer, we'll see if they bite.

148846-1696996574-624819.jpg

The c6 grand sport has always been my favourite since it came out. The c7 looks too awkward and the c8 looses that rear wheel sports car look in favour of a more exotic look and I'm not a fan of it. But something like this with a manual is perfect:

ksnip_20240229-083116.jpg

ksnip_20240229-083106.jpg

Ha! This is a manual trans vs an automatic trans thread. If you want a manual buy one....they are about $1750.00 to replace a clutch on a C7 Corvette. Go ahead and buy that MT and I will keep my easy to sell 2014 automatic that anyone can drive. End of story folks.
There is nothing worse listening sound of that V8 and automatic shifting on par NissanSentra.
$1,750? You pay to play. Are those just parts or labor?

Back