Used Jaguar F-Type V6 or C7 'Vette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Depends what you want. The C7 does not come in automatic. Its RWD so really kind of useless...hundreds of HP wasted. The Jag..meh..there are quicker, better handling, vehicles out there. Even a lowly WRX would outhandle it. But a Jag is a Jag. Go for it. I looked seriously at the BMW Series 3 Wagon and then bought my 2018 Forester. At the end of the day I liked the high seating, CVT Tranny, ground clearance, and the AWD in the Forester I am presuming is going to be better. But...a BMW is a BMW..got the snob appeal.

My boss just purchased a 2018 Outback with the six. It is a pleasure to drive, with good power and good comfort, it would suit my needs. With just one exception, it's not a convertible. I absolutely, positively, love convertibles. I'm the guy that has the top down, on the highway, in the rain. Or even in the snow around town. Top down, AC or heat on, if required.

I'm older, and despite my best efforts, not in great health, and I'm very tired much of the time. I'm not racing anybody. But I do enjoy a "fun to drive car" on my good days. Both the F-Type and the 'Vette are fun. Trust me, the modest HP of each won't be wasted, it will be enjoyed.

Oh, and the JAG F-Type is available with AWD. My current Jag is AWD too.

Keep in mind, I have 2 4x4 F150 Super Crew trucks, a 2009 with the 5.4 V8 and a 2011 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Both are likely to be replaced with similar 2018-19 F150's.

The self-imposed budget is under $40K. I prefer to purchase used to save money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Well maybe he meant the wheel spin part of it. Usually with AWD, you don't end up spinning any wheels and all the power goes to the ground.

My 11 second Turbo S2000 was 2750 pounds, 407 uncorrected RWHP and had plenty of wheelspin if desired. Driving it was a non issue. The Vette and F-Type are far better behaved.

I think this looks fun:

Originally Posted By: Patman
Sure is a lot of hatred towards the C7 on here
frown.gif

The Jag is just a different more refined class of car and not really a good comparison to the vette.

Its RWD so really kind of useless...hundreds of HP wasted.

I'm also a bit confused with this post too. It might be RWD but it can put the power to the ground nicely. If I hit full throttle from a dead stop it just does a quick spin of the tires but it hooks up fast and when I use the on board 0-60 timer that it comes with, I can consistently get the car to run times between 3.9 and 4.1, it's never worse than that. I've never owned a car with this much power that is so easy to launch off the line.

Well its not going to hook up as well as an AWD. Some AWD's can only put say 20% to the rears and 80% to the front. Others are 50/50. I'm talking about the 50/50 ones.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

My boss just purchased a 2018 Outback with the six. It is a pleasure to drive, with good power and good comfort, it would suit my needs. With just one exception, it's not a convertible. I absolutely, positively, love convertibles. I'm the guy that has the top down, on the highway, in the rain. Or even in the snow around town. Top down, AC or heat on, if required.

How about a sunroof open. The one on my Forester is immense
wink.gif
Its got the 250HP turbo. Its kinda fun to drive. ..when the wife lets me..its hers.
wink.gif

When buying used, it's nice to have multiple models to consider - it greatly increases your buying power. Keep an eye out for both! The narrower you make your options the more difficult shopping can be.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sure is a lot of hatred towards the C7 on here
frown.gif

The Jag is just a different more refined class of car and not really a good comparison to the vette.

Actually, they are more similar than different. Similar size, weight, bulk, and so on. Both are 2 seat, front engine, RWD, convertibles with fabric tops. The C7 in some ways is a more refined car. It rides better, and may be a bit better behaved in normal driving. And that's it's downfall too. It's not as "frantic" or quite as much fun in everyday driving. The C7 is a lot cheaper to insure. And may have better resale.

The F-Type requires two mods to match the C7's acceleration, about $1500. A tune and a supercharger pulley.

Stock F-Type:

0-60mph — 4.2 sec

0-100mph — 10.3 sec

1/4 Mile — 12.7 sec @ 110mph

Top Speed — 171mph (limited)

Braking 60-0 — 112ft

MPG — 19/27 w/ 22.3mpg observed

With the tune and pulley, they run 12 flat in the 1/4.

Last edited:
I should have said perceived class of car. Cars like the Jag are perceived as a refined express vehicle like a Maserati and new Alfa 4C spider while the vette is looked at as a common big boy toy that every geezer wants now they can afford one and a lot do so they are common place and not seen as anything special.

I know they are better than ever but even I see a vette and honestly don't think anything about it, it doesn't get a second look or thought or stir any excitement, its just another vette.
Build quality is certainly not in the same class as the Jag, its mediocre at best in comparison and always has been not due to poor workmanship but the inherent unavoidable manufacturing differences in fiberglass/SMC panels .

I know they are better than ever but even I see a vette and honestly don't think anything about it, it doesn't get a second look or thought or stir any excitement, its just another vette.
Build quality is certainly not in the same class as the Jag, its mediocre at best in comparison and always has been not due to poor workmanship but the inherent unavoidable manufacturing differences in fiberglass/SMC panels .

GM redid the assembly plant in the fall of 2017 and cars built after that have much better quality. Mine is perfect! I would put it's paint quality and fit/finish up against anything Jag makes. It's definitely not mediocre at all, it has almost no orange peel in the paint, the body panel gaps are all perfect and that level of quality extends into the interior too.

As far as stirring up excitement, my C7 turns heads everywhere I go, I often hear people saying that it's a Ferrari or Lamborghini when they first see it. They are shocked when they get closer and see it's a Corvette. I never got this level of attention from my previous generations of Corvettes, so GM definitely made big strides with the design of the C7.

How many women in their 20's ask for a ride if you're not with your wife ?

I might have to order a GS C7 with zero options. Just a 1LT, 7 speed manual transmission, no Nav, no PDR, no nothing...

Unfortunately dealers order GS with sooo many options they are almost the same price as a Z06.

GM redid the assembly plant in the fall of 2017 and cars built after that have much better quality. Mine is perfect! I would put it's paint quality and fit/finish up against anything Jag makes. It's definitely not mediocre at all, it has almost no orange peel in the paint, the body panel gaps are all perfect and that level of quality extends into the interior too.

As far as stirring up excitement, my C7 turns heads everywhere I go, I often hear people saying that it's a Ferrari or Lamborghini when they first see it. They are shocked when they get closer and see it's a Corvette. I never got this level of attention from my previous generations of Corvettes, so GM definitely made big strides with the design of the C7.

One thing I really like with the C7 is the all aluminum frame. It's pure artwork.

2006-Corvette-Z06-chassis-X06CH_CR050_a.jpg

Overlay2-300x200.jpg

Last edited:
There's no question that the C7 is a fantastic car; world class, no question. That said, they just don't give me that "gotta have it" vibe.

Depends what you want. The C7 does not come in automatic. Its RWD so really kind of useless...hundreds of HP wasted.

Off the line, maybe, but I bet it pulls at 60mph.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I've actually had some poor fools tell me that the reason they won't get a RWD car is because they need a vehicle that they can drive in the rain.
I suggested that they didn't need AWD or FWD either- what they needed was to turn in their operators license and utilize public transit.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I might have to order a GS C7 with zero options. Just a 1LT, 7 speed manual transmission, no Nav, no PDR, no nothing...

Unfortunately dealers order GS with sooo many options they are almost the same price as a Z06.

I haven't had any women ask for a ride yet, but they definitely turn their heads to look at it.

I ordered my Stingray with the 1LT package, dealers around here rarely order them that way. I went light on the options, I added the 8 speed automatic, carbon flash badge package, Z51 spoiler, black Z51 wheels and red calipers. There's no need to spend $2000 for NAV when these cars come with Apple Carplay and Android Auto so you can use the maps application from there and get navigation show up on the exact same screen.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is this really a reason why some people buy this car?

There's no question that the C7 is a fantastic car; world class, no question. That said, they just don't give me that "gotta have it" vibe.

That's it exactly. I don't think anyone is saying its a bad car in any way but it is just another vette. For less than the cost of this new a low mile Jag or Aston Martin is certainly in the cards, now those stir excitement. This is making my head turn.

they need a vehicle that they can drive in the rain.
I suggested that they didn't need AWD or FWD either- what they needed was to turn in their operators license and utilize public transit.

You are my hero!

And on that note... I would recommend neither the Jag nor the Vette if you liked your Honda. Both with feel a bit too big. More comfy yes, but they feel big.

Look into the 2 series, the m240i ... and then maybe look toward the M2. It "feels" smaller than it is and would be that more comfortable... but still blistering fast. It will also be a better cruising car (more comfortable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back