C3 VS GF5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most GF5 oils' HTHS will be from 3.0 to 3.2 cP while for C3 most will be 3.5 to 3.7 cP. So there is a viscosity consideration as well as an additive and base oil consideration. Knowing the engine and what oil specs. the manufacture requires would be very helpful in making the decision. Without knowing that and since you are in Australian climate, I would lean toward a C3 oil. Bonus points if it also meets VW 504/507 and MB 229.51 or 229.52.

for TGDI I would look for api SN+, and dexos 1 gen2

5w30 pennzoil platinum has both of those specs, and also the Jeep MS-13340 that is speced for the 2.0 TGDI engine in cherokee and wrangler.

ACEA C3 is a mid/lower saps oil and ilsac gf5 is easily met by oil in many different viscosities.

neither is particularly useful spec for a TGDI engine.

I had multiple GF5 in my TGDI and they all sheared a lot.

Currently trying a non-gf5 SN PLUS/CK4 oil.

I'd go for the C3, more shear stable and higher HTHS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch

Did it shear or did you have fuel dilution? How was that measured?

Get something that's dexos2, which encompasses C3

PP Euro L 5w30 is probably the least expensive and easiest to find dexos2

Originally Posted by kschachn

Did it shear or did you have fuel dilution? How was that measured?

BS latest report: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...586-31234-15_forester_xt_2019_report.jpg

Qsud went from 11.6 cst @ 100c to 7.81.

BS reported 0.8% fuel (I know about the questionable BS fuel reporting, but I seriously doubt it's all fuel)

Rotella MV will go to OAI for next sample to answer all those questions.

BS latest report: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...586-31234-15_forester_xt_2019_report.jpg

Qsud went from 11.6 cst @ 100c to 7.81.

BS reported 0.8% fuel (I know about the questionable BS fuel reporting, but I seriously doubt it's all fuel)

Rotella MV will go to OAI for next sample to answer all those questions.

Honda's 1.5T is a fuel dilution nightmare! People have seen it as high as 5%
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by JAG
Most GF5 oils' HTHS will be from 3.0 to 3.2 cP while for C3 most will be 3.5 to 3.7 cP. So there is a viscosity consideration as well as an additive and base oil consideration. Knowing the engine and what oil specs. the manufacture requires would be very helpful in making the decision. Without knowing that and since you are in Australian climate, I would lean toward a C3 oil. Bonus points if it also meets VW 504/507 and MB 229.51 or 229.52.

Recomended is ACEA A5
However, I cannot find any SN rated A5 oil here.. they're all SL with high amounts of ZDDP

Quite the conundrum in the global market, when the oil you want is not readily available. What would it cost to order what you want online, and have it shipped to you?

Originally Posted by yowps3
Originally Posted by JAG

Recomended is ACEA A5
However, I cannot find any SN rated A5 oil here.. they're all SL with high amounts of ZDDP

Pennzoil Platinum is A5 and SN PLUS.

Originally Posted by JAG

Recomended is ACEA A5

I'd find a C3/Dexos 2...there's plenty of those around.

Originally Posted by JAG

Recomended is ACEA A5

We don't get that here.

Originally Posted by JAG

Recomended is ACEA A5

We don't get that here.

My bad, what about Shell Helix Ultra SN? https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils...ynthetic/shell-helix-ultra-sn-5w-30.html

I suspect it is the same as PP, same certs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
for TGDI I would look for api SN+, and dexos 1 gen2

5w30 pennzoil platinum has both of those specs, and also the Jeep MS-13340 that is speced for the 2.0 TGDI engine in cherokee and wrangler.

ACEA C3 is a mid/lower saps oil and ilsac gf5 is easily met by oil in many different viscosities.

neither is particularly useful spec for a TGDI engine.

None as stringent as C3 oils. All C3 oils meet either MB 229.51 or VW 504.00/507.00 and those are toughest specifications to meet.
There are olive oils that meet API SN+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back