Bypass MAF for intake cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, I found that if I take out the rubber boot that connect throttle body and air filter box, my engine will always stall due to MAF (that is located on the air filter box) does not detect the air flow.
So to use Amsoil Power Foam or other spray to clean combustion chamber is a challenge, except maybe for 3M that comes with tiny hose that can be clamped between rubber boot and the throttle body.

Yesterday, when I cleaned the MAF and throttle body, I was trying to spray as much as Power Foam while I used my hand to open the throttle body butterfly with engine is off. After that I started the engine, I did not expect the engine to run due to I removed the rubber boot.
What a surprise the engine ran on high idle for a while, and back to idle.

Then I just realized that I forgot to plug in the MAF cable.
So now I learn that I can bypass the MAF and use intake cleaner, and once I finish the CEL will go off by itself after 4-5 start/shutdown.

What a lesson, I wish I know this long time before.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Now you just gotta find out why you're doing this at all when it sounds like your engine runs fine.

I think it's generally referred to as preventive maintenance.

I have been trying to think of a way to clean injector tips without removing the injectors. The above MAF bypass procedure sounds promising. OP is the vehicle a Ford by any chance?

Yeah, if you unhook it while its running it will stall out, but will start right up if you have it unhooked from the beginning. Ive forgotten to plug my MAF in probably 3 or 4 times now. What I notice is the transmission shifts somewhat weird while running with no MAF but nothing else. Until the second key on when the CEL turns on.
Itll also run with the cam sensor unhooked. It switches to batch firing the injectors and COPs instead of Sequential. Pretty neat.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I have been trying to think of a way to clean injector tips without removing the injectors. The above MAF bypass procedure sounds promising. OP is the vehicle a Ford by any chance?

Put a whole bottle of Redline SI1 in a single tank of gas.

You still don't want any of the material to end up on the MAF sensor. May be you are already saying that.

FMEM= Failure Mode Effect Management

If you need to run with the MAF (or most any other sensor} disconnected, disconnect the sensor, cycle the key a few times and you should be good to go. Once the PCM knows the sensor isn't there, it will make due........unless it is an old FoMoCo EEC-III.

Of course, that is exactly why the MAF is on the airbox.
117-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back