Bypass dual oil filter 99 TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running full synthetic oil Amsoil 0W-30 for about two years in my 99 Jeep TJ 2.5 lt . I am thinking about installing a dual oil filter system.

Stupid questions time ( please bear with me)

I am no where close to a mechanic, not even shade tree status. Would this system be hard to install and be leak free?

Does the Perma-Cool dual filter system work the same as the Amsoil system ?

If so, do I need a full flow filter first, and then a bypass filter?

Some people have told me they believe using a dual flow system is harder on the oil pump, will reduce oil circulation,and make the oil sending unit work improperly .

Is it ok to use the rubber oil lines , and will they hold up ?

Last question, could I install a T filling on the return from the dual filter unit so I could use a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Thanks for the tollerance

Your post is very confusing.

The Amsoil dual remote system has all the connections that you need.

They have been making this system for at least 10 years and I've heard of no problems regarding oil pumps or failures.

If you want to install just a single by-pass filter(BMK11) you can use the perma-cool adapter if you want.

ollllo.com/reviews.asp?Display=109

This is the perma cool dual oil filter system I had questions about. I was wondering if this system was designed the same as the Amsoil system where you could use a by-pass filter as the second filter. If anyone has had experince with one of these perma-cool filter systems what do you think of it.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by FHall:
ollllo.com/reviews.asp?Display=109

This is the perma cool dual oil filter system I had questions about. I was wondering if this system was designed the same as the Amsoil system where you could use a by-pass filter as the second filter. If anyone has had experince with one of these perma-cool filter systems what do you think of it.

Thanks

You could buy the Amsoil dual and do something like that. Contact Gary Allen he bought a setup from me and did something like this.

I dont' think the perma-cool system will work with the Amsoil spin on becuase the Amsoil spin on has a larger thread opening. It's the same opening as the Dodge Cummins Diesel trucks. I don't have the exact dimensions.

I'm sure Gary Allen could help you out.

Maybe I can
grin.gif
I went through this with msparks a while back. If you want a clean installation, I'd go with the proprietory Amsoil dual mount. I already had a permacool dual mount already plumbed and mounted ...so I just swapped the threaded inserts so I could fit the Cummins size filters on the Permacool mount.

If you're looking at total costs ...I dunno
dunno.gif
. The Permacool setup is cheaper ..but you can't get the threaded inserts from Amsoil ..and I'm SURE that machining costs would make it a wash. That is, IF you want to save money, buy a stand alone bypass setup from Amsoil. I think that you may bave room for a dual bypass (twin bypass filters) somewhere up near the fan shroud on the passenger side. I think that you can even fit the big 110 size filter.

The real thing that you need to know is that Amsoil bypass filter ONLY come in a Cummins thread. That's the road block. You have to have the AMSOIL 1"x16 threaded inserts ..which ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE.

msparks will hook you up (as will any other Amsoil dealer) with any of the BMK line up. The Amsoil unit isn't cheap ..but it is of much higher quality than the Permacool mount. Probably the best bang for the buck set up would be the BMK-12 (I believe that this is an allowed link) where you could mount two bypass filters ..and get the biggest ones you can fit under the hood (this would use the "tee" tapped into the oil pressure sender/sensor). It would perhaps be a little overkill ...but this whole oil thing tends to get that way
grin.gif
..besides ..you've only got a 4 quart capacity stock and could actually double your sump with this set up (if you can fit the 110 filters). You would then retain your stock fliter and merely change it every so often (depending on your driving habits) and top off the oil.

Do not feel bad if this is all confusing. msparks and I went back and forth for about a dozen posts until we figured out what each other was saying.
lol.gif

In short. If you want ONLY capacity ...go with the Permacool ..you may save some money. If you want capacity and a threaded on bypass (which many of us DO) ..you're looking at an AMSOIL installation.

I'm sure you can buy the threaded inserts from Amsoil. What if you call and told them you had a BMK 11 or 12 and you stripped out the threads, they should be able to just send you another one. Then you could use the permacool system and adapte an Amsoil by-pass spin on to it.

I didn't know that Gary did it this way. Though Gary if you just used the theads you still have the whole mount left? The dual guard setup that Gary is talking about is less than $100. So I don't know, which way you want to go.

[ May 01, 2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

I tried to get just the inserts ...but the tech people indicated that the 1"x16 didn't have a part # (it's 1"x16 on the outside ..but 3/4 x 16 on the part that screws into the mount). All the other inserts had one ...but not that one. If these are available ...heck I'll buy a couple myself and install the BMK-12 in my 02 Jeep SE using the "tee" method.

If I hadn't had the PermaCool already mounted and plumbed, I probably would have gone with the BMK 13 (or which ever block mount has the Ford/DC size adaptor since it has the "biasing" restrictor valve (which also doesn't appear to have a part #).

All in all the Amsoil complete setup isn't the cheapest way to go ..but it is very high quality. Since FHall (fall?
grin.gif
) indicates that he's not a mechanic, I probably would not recommend that he go to Jegs or Summit and buy all the lines and fitting himself since some errors may occur and he may very well end up spending more. If he gets a professional to order the stuff for him ..the mark up will be just as bad. The Amsoil setup is complete and any mechanic can install it without any difficulty.

If you're not an experienced shade tree mechanic (by that I mean you can turn a wrench, have a decent amount of experience at screwing up - enough to know how not to screw up) I'd buy the Amsoil setup and hand it to a mechanic to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back