ByPass cost and installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

Looking at the possibility of installing a ByPass filter system on my Volvo 4 cylinder Turbo. What am I looking at for total installation cost for a good system. And what is and who makes a good system for an automobile? It is really tough for me to get over 3000 mile OCI's even though I'm up to 4500 mile OCI on M1 10W30 with Volvo recommending 5,000 mile OCI. Last week end I got laughed at by two mechanics when I said I changed my Synthetic oil between 4K and 4500 miles. They were not laughing because it was too long of an OCI.

If the recurrent expense of the filter does not bother you Amsoil makes a dual remote bypass filter. It relocates the full flow filter and has the bypass filter on the same mount. The bypass filters run about $26, and the kit is around $200.
I opted for the Motor Guard filter on my Truck & Van. The Motor Guard uses toilet paper as the media pushing the oil lengthwise down the roll. The down side of the Motor Guard is that the media needs to be changed every 2000-4000 miles depending upon the application. Another disadvantage is that it is diffucult to check the oil level on the dipstick because it's always very clean
smile.gif

I also installed (2) Frantz Filters on my diesel tractor for the engine oil & hydraulic system. The Frantz is very similar in operation and uses the same media. Both types cost about $160, a little more when using a sandwich type adapter that installs between the OEM full flow filter and the engine. This adapter provides the oil to the bypass filter and a return. Very clean installation. There is a Bypass Filter forum here that has a lot of details...
Most folks have a hard time with the idea of using a household item like toilet paper as a filter media. The oil stays clean, and the filter comes out dirty... what else is there?

I never saw the forum for Bypass filters. Mods please move this thread over to ByPass please.

If this is new volvo, I think they have a drop in full flow filter and the Amsoil dual remote won't work.

Besides if you want to keep costs down, the Amsoil by-pass filter mount by itself will be much less expensive, and will be easier to find a place to mount.

I can quote you a price, as far as install, find a hydraulic shop, or something like that. I don't know if a normal mechanic would be top of my list for a good install.

It's a 1987 740 Turbo. The new motor has 16,100 miles on it and the warranty runs out in June.
Space isn't a problem since you can drop in a 302 V8 Ford in place of the 4 cylinder. I would like be able to get out to 6,000 to 7,500 mile OCI.
I put between 20K and 25K miles on the car a year. Presently using 10W30 M1. Last Analysis done with 4,500 miles on the oil showed that it was close to worn out. TBN was in the low 2's. Getting it changed next week and I'll be sending a sample out to Blackstone.

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I never saw the forum for Bypass filters. Mods please move this thread over to ByPass please.

This is the bypass forum
grin.gif

I'm running 3 Frantz filters on my Powerstroke that I installed in Aug 2003 .. Paid for themselves already! I'm gearing up for another for the coolant..
cool.gif

[ April 13, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back