Bye, Bye 530i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
That said, the F10 is an okay cruiser, but light years away from an E39 or E60 in terms of driving involvement.

True that. Current 3-series is comparable in size and weight to my old E39. And F10 is a lot heavier/bigger now.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Are you guys try to pass some code words to Mossad (Israel spy agency) ?

What are those E39 E70 E60 N55 N52 F10 F15 F30 ?

BMW Platform Codes

E/F codes are chassis codes as provided by the link.

M/N codes are engines codes. Within the engine code is the "B code" model designation which is usually (not always!) the displacement.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Keep in mind the first year of the F10 still had the N52. So you can get the new(ish) body with the N/A inline 6.

This.

Although, as an owner of an '08 528i - I think I would be more tempted by an F10 535i, or even a 435i. We have been very happy with the E60, and the N52 has been good to us. The new 4 cyl. turbo w/8 speed drives better than the old NA 6 W/ 6 speed aside from sound. I just can't stomach a 4 cyl large car again - even if it has 'enough' power.

That is the code system BMW uses, it would be like discussing the Toyota JZA80, Mazda FD3RS, or Nissan R34

The same thing applies to engine codes.
So think Toyota JZA80 with 2JZGTE
Mazda FD3RS with 13b-REW
Nissan R34 with RB26DETT

GM had their way of naming their platforms using a letter, and they would use engine codes with 3 digits.
I wanted an LS1 F-body which meant I either wanted a V8 Camaro or a V8 Pontiac Trans Am
MOPARs also use a letter to name their platforms, but I don't know any of their codes because I am not a MOPAR guy.
I don't know how Ford did vehicle codes.

Benz used the letter W followed by a number. I don't remember how their engine codes worked.

VW had a system where they named their van with the letter T. T2 was the original microbus, T3 was the Vanagon, and T4 was called the Eurovan in the USA. Europe got a T5 and a T6 van because the Eurovan was a disappointment in the USA. I don't know how air cooled engines were coded, but liquid cooled engines had 3 digit codes until recently, then they got 4 digit codes. The A platform could mean Golf/Rabbit, or Jetta/Bora. The number next to it was the generation. A Jetta from 1999-2005 would be called an A4. B meant Passat, the B5 and B5.5 generation was a popular VW.

I don't know how other manufacturers made their chassis and engine codes.

Why when we talk about Mercedes we say 2005 E350, but when someone mentions his BMW he almost never says something like 2008 328i but Exx or Nyy ... I had no idea what it is. Why not just say year and model name/number ?

Another thing, BMW used be easy to know the engine size by the model name/number, such as 328i is 3-series with 2.8L engine. Now the 328i may not have 2.8L engine.

Why when we talk about Mercedes we say 2005 E350, but when someone mentions his BMW he almost never says something like 2008 328i but Exx or Nyy ... I had no idea what it is. Why not just say year and model name/number ?

Another thing, BMW used be easy to know the engine size by the model name/number, such as 328i is 3-series with 2.8L engine. Now the 328i may not have 2.8L engine.

Because the chassis/engine is a better definition of what you have. If I say 1987 735i, it could be two completely different cars, with two different engines and I would still have to ask: E23 or E32?

And, FWIW, when the 745i was released in the early 80's in did away with the "engine displacement" naming scheme. The thought process of the time was that the turbocharged 3.5 made the same approximate power as a 4.5 n/a engine.

AND the 745i in South Africa had the engine from the M5! This is why chassis codes and engine codes are important.

The naming scheme has become, in my opinion, simpler. 20i, 30i, 40i, 50i, 60i in order of size/power.

Last edited:

Oh there was no E350 in 2005, that started in 2006. Would have been the E320.

Anyway aside from the E350, the rest of the lineup doesn't match the numbers now anyway, the E250 Bluetec is really a 2.1 twin turbo, the E400 is a 3.0 biturbo, and the E63 is a 5.5 biturbo.

Finally heard back from insurance company. Started out at $5,900 much to my chagrin. I was nice about it and told them there was no way that car was worth that little. Finally settled on $6,600. With the miles it had, it was about what KBB said was value for private party sale. They don't give any settlement money for meticulous maintenance.

Finally found a car for the wife. 2011 528i with 36k, sport package and premium sound and navigation. Wife is a little intimidated by all the bells and whistles.

2004 5-series has much less bells and whistles compares with 2011 528i.

My 2004 S2000 has very few functions, I drove my daughter 2014 Accord and I couldn't use most of its bells and whistles.

My wife's 2000 E430 had few more features, but still not as fancy as Accord.

And the Accord has much less features compares to 2011 5-series.

I don't know how people can dive and access to many features in the car at the same time. I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back