Bye, Bye 530i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely wife tried to load the 2004 530i on a guy's trailer without his knowledge. Thought it would be no problem getting it repaired. Estimate was $4k until the collision center started trying to find headlights. Adaptive headlights were $1,500 each. Insurance company (Safeco) said no way and totaled the car. Said Alabama law requires that if car damaged more than 75 percent of value, it must be totaled. Great car with sport package. Wife insists on getting another Bimmer. Scared of the 535i twin-turbos and related costs. Tend to keep a car a long time. Looking for 528i, either 2010 or 2011. What say ye European gearheads?

Are you Set on BMWs?
You can occasionally find Audis, VWs, Infinitis, and Volvos at a pretty good price. ATM, VW seems the most willing to haggle on prices, and there are some VWs that give both Audi and BMW a run for their money.
I have seen 2016 VW Passat V6s go now for 22K down from the 36K MSRP.

Jarlaxle: Body shop tried the conventional headlight trick, but wouldn't mate up. Adaptive headlight controlled through the computer. I have to give them credit, they tried everything to keep car from being totaled but it was not to be. Buying it back was not worth the hassle with a salvage title that might take 90 days to get approved.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Wife insists on getting another Bimmer. Scared of the 535i twin-turbos and related costs. Tend to keep a car a long time. Looking for 528i, either 2010 or 2011. What say ye European gearheads?

Sounds good to me. That should keep the price tag down quite a bit. Have it checked out pre-purchase. One owner with maintenance records would be nice, maybe a trade in at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Buy it back, have it fixed, swap to regular (non-$1500) headlights, and drive it forever?

Exactly. Do NOT let insurance company dictate your happiness. I just hope there was no frame damage. Or rust. Anything else? Fix it.

And get the headlights used off EBay. Save money. Then drive it for two million more miles. Not joking.

If you love the car. I know how that feels.

I say get another BMW,then when it gets wacked next time,and repair costs are astronomical...it gets totaled all over again...

Lovely wife tried to load the 2004 530i on a guy's trailer without his knowledge. Thought it would be no problem getting it repaired. Estimate was $4k until the collision center started trying to find headlights. Adaptive headlights were $1,500 each. Insurance company (Safeco) said no way and totaled the car. Said Alabama law requires that if car damaged more than 75 percent of value, it must be totaled. Great car with sport package. Wife insists on getting another Bimmer. Scared of the 535i twin-turbos and related costs. Tend to keep a car a long time. Looking for 528i, either 2010 or 2011. What say ye European gearheads?
You don't buy a BMW for low cost of ownership. A sporty car with too much powers is always better than with O.K. power

Buy it back, have it fixed, swap to regular (non-$1500) headlights, and drive it forever?

That's what first came to my mind.

If not fear the 535. The lines of the latest model are more desirable to me. I'd either find s pristine E39, or buy new/near new.

Personally I'd buy a BMW diesel wagon.

528i E60 is good machine with OK power. As we all know BMW's 230hp is usually more in terms of other manufacturers:)
If she is driving average, not into torque etc. I would say that would be best option. If you are going for E60 N54 engine had issues with high pressure pump.
I think 528i E60 is the car to keep for long time. Good engine, body and suspension that is design for much more power and abuse.

edyvw: That's the way I'm leaning. I know there was an update for the 2011 (F10) model, so should be able to get a better deal on an E60. The wrecked E60 sure was a good car!

Exactly. Adaptive headlights? $3000? Please. If they came with the car I'd fix them so they couldn't move.

I sold my 1995 530i after it turned 150K miles and started C noting me to death. I was driving on the interstate one day when the windshield molding flew off.

Now in my 60's, German cars are too costly for my taste.

edyvw: That's the way I'm leaning. I know there was an update for the 2011 (F10) model, so should be able to get a better deal on an E60. The wrecked E60 sure was a good car!

Yeah, F10 535i has N55 engine which is better ten N54. But 528i is 4cyl turbo. I drove 528i E60 and F10 528i. F10 has more low end torque and feels stronger. But you for sure missing that sweet inline 6 sound
smile.gif

Also, F10 2011 is first production year. It has also electric power steering (I believe better then on F30 3 series).
For example reason why I went with 2013 E70 and not 2014 F15 is because 2013 was last production year for E70, so most of the bugs were solved. If you want to keep car for a long time, I would buy E60 528i 2010.

The E60 is nice, especially in the later years, and can be had for a very good price.

Keep in mind the first year of the F10 still had the N52. So you can get the new(ish) body with the N/A inline 6.

The first time I drove an F10 I immediately thought: "Old man's car." A bit later my wife got one for a loaner; she drove it home and the first words out of her mouth were, "It's a boat- I HATE it."
That said, the F10 is an okay cruiser, but light years away from an E39 or E60 in terms of driving involvement. It's aimed at the idiots who wear their cars and think "lift throttle oversteer" is a band that used to open for Journey.
The N55 in the F10 is a great motor but it has a lot of mass to put in motion; it's no ball of fire, that's for sure.

F10 is quite a popular car around here, 6 in my neighborhood mostly 528ix. BMW got it right for mass appeal. They sell the m series and the small ones still for enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back