Buzzing Sound from Rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a buzzing sound coming from the rear end of my corolla. I did not notice it until I had the rear seats folded down for carrying my workstand to my jobs. It sounds like the right rear tire and seems to get slightly louder on left hand turns. Wheel bearing?

This car sounds like a lemon with all the issues you're having. Take it back and trade it in on another car. Maybe the dealer will work something out with you

On a car like this you should be able to apply the parking brake very light while driving to see if it tightens up and makes the bearing whine stop as it takes the slop out of the bearing. This might help in identifying if it is the bearing or not.

yea, i did the parking brake thing and it doesn't change anything so I don't think it is that. Tires look good. Guess that just leaves the bearing.

With the rear seat down you exposed not only the rear wheel wells but the fuel tank is in that general area under the seat also.
I wouldn't call wheel bearing noise a "buzz" more like a growling noise you can or almost feel it, the sound resonates throughout the car.

Have some else drive it and you get back there and listen. Either way, fuel pump or bearing its not a bad or expensive job.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Bee hive?

i checked. Didn't see a swarm of bees in my trunk....thankfully

Fuel Pump!

I often take the back seat out of my Focus (don't ask) and ever since new, I can hear the fuel pump buzzing without the rear seat

so i took it to the dealer today for the howling/grinding noise from the rear end. We thought it was a wheel bearing at first but the service tech didn't think so. He took me out to the bay with the car on lift, wheels off and I felt the bearings and they felt smooth... He thought my issue was with heavy rust buildup on the brake drums. He ground the rust off and thought that would fix it.

Noticed I still had the same noise on the drive home...ugh!!!! so I guess it may be the wheel bearing even though they feel smooth.

I don't think its the fuel pump since the noise seems to change when turning. and its coming from the right side of the car. I think the fuel pump is on the left.

i wish it was that simple.

rotated tires. noise still the same. no play in bearings. dealers says their fine. ugh. why did I buy this dumb warranty if I can't get any work done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back