Buying Used Wiper Blades

Yep, just as the title reads.
My neighbor just recently bought a 2011 Mazda 3. I told her that I would help her out with anything it needs. She said her wiper blades were streaking. I had to go to WM last night so I picked up a pair of Michelin brand (24" drivers side 19" passengers side).
I went to install them earlier today and the 19" package had a used blade in it! 🤬 Now I have to start checking wiper blade packages for used blades! What's wrong with people today!!!!!??????
She had to go to WM so she brought it back and got a NEW blade this time.

And, get this. The package was sealed just like a new package is sealed. I bet they used some kind of glue to seal it. 🤬 👿
what kind of blade was it all 9 blades I got from rockauto for $40 were in plastic clamshells.. the wizardry was in making them all come from the same warehouse so it was 5 different models.

Yep, just as the title reads.
My neighbor just recently bought a 2011 Mazda 3. I told her that I would help her out with anything it needs. She said her wiper blades were streaking. I had to go to WM last night so I picked up a pair of Michelin brand (24" drivers side 19" passengers side).
I went to install them earlier today and the 19" package had a used blade in it! 🤬 Now I have to start checking wiper blade packages for used blades! What's wrong with people today!!!!!??????
She had to go to WM so she brought it back and got a NEW blade this time.
I’ve had the same thing happen to me, discovered it halfway into a snowy 3 hour drive at 2 in the morning after a 7 hour flight. Of course I was traveling between Albuquerque, NM and Durango, CO so nowhere to stop and buy blades at that hour. Almost had to do a full Ace Ventura. People who return used blades should be smacked in the knees with a ball peen hammer swung by Giancarlo Stanton.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
I see this type of thievery at Walmart all of the time especially with oil filters, bike inner tubes, shoes/slippers and now as you say, wiper blades. So sad! 😭

I saw this same thing at BIG LOTS when the sold Rain-X Horizon-beam blades(a.k.a. Latitude in our market) for $5/ea. All of the pkgs were open any you could see something was up.

Last edited:
WalMart doesn't check anything.
I once returned stinky pork ribs (awful when I cut open the plastic) and they didn't even check or smell anything. Money returned, no questions asked.

what kind of blade was it all 9 blades I got from rockauto for $40 were in plastic clamshells.. the wizardry was in making them all come from the same warehouse so it was 5 different models.
It was a Michelin blade. It's WM's least expensive blade now. They don't sell the WM low priced blades anymore.

Sucks to say but “Caveat Emptor” even at the Walmart’s…..

WM shopping hack: When picking wipers, grab from the back of the display rod.
1) Newer blade.
2) Lazy WM return stockers put the returned blade first on the rod.

(Same goes for Batteries, etc… 😎)

No questions asked? Never happened to me so I'd think it was your word against the stores. Whats to prevent crooks from pulling this on more expensive items?
Never had any problems returning anything. ;)

Sucks to say but “Caveat Emptor” even at the Walmart’s…..

WM shopping hack: When picking wipers, grab from the back of the display rod.
1) Newer blade.
2) Lazy WM return stockers put the returned blade first on the rod.

(Same goes for Batteries, etc… 😎)
I don't blame employees for doing this.
But, it confirms what I have always done (at any store).
NEVER buy the item in front (could be a return, maybe handled or dropped on floor by customers).
ALWAYS choose several items further back.

ALSO, in personal hygiene dept. or groceries,
check every package for denting or damaged sealing.

I saw this with a few spark plugs at Lowes. I think they were switched out right there in the isle, versus getting the returns desk involved. There were several hanging on the same hook, all black with soot. People indeed suck.

Back