buying tires at walmart.com

For anyone that's shopped for tires on walmart.com - Is it common for the only option for any tires in your size is for them to ship them to your home address, so you have to lug them to the store to install? My size is 225/55/R16, which is not an uncommon size. They list plenty of different brand tires for free 2 day delivery, sold by walmart, but the only option is to ship to your house, no "free pickup" option. I don't own a truck so not easy to haul tires around. And not many other tire places nearby I'd want to deal with. Maybe this is about walmart gradually getting out of the auto service business? Did I mention I hate buying tires? Also, please don't say to call them, I've had that experience :eek:

I've bought tires many times through walmart.com. It's way more trouble free to me to just have them shipped to my home address. The times my local store didn't have the tire I wanted in stock and I had them shipped to the store, I had problems.

IMO, if you're not setup to transport tires around, it's best to buy them somewhere that does the install as well.

I'm have a shop down the road that will mount/balance carry-ins for $25/tire, so you have to factor in if that $100, plus the cost of the tires is still a deal.

I bought my truck tires from Walmart.com and had them shipped to the store because I was having them do the install. I had 1 big problem and that was my tires were the option on my truck and not standard so they did not want to install them because they did not match the sill plate. I finally had a manager look at my window sticker that I kept in the glove compartment so he could see they were listed under options and they finally did the install. Of course this was before the current health thing.

While it's not fun, I just throw them in the truck / backseat / wherever to get them to the store. New tires are pretty clean, but you can throw old blankets on the seat if you're worried. They do stink up the car like rubber for the ride there though. Call me weird but I like the smell of new tires.

Reactions: JTK
For anyone that's shopped for tires on walmart.com - Is it common for the only option for any tires in your size is for them to ship them to your home address, so you have to lug them to the store to install? My size is 225/55/R16, which is not an uncommon size. They list plenty of different brand tires for free 2 day delivery, sold by walmart, but the only option is to ship to your house, no "free pickup" option. I don't own a truck so not easy to haul tires around. And not many other tire places nearby I'd want to deal with. Maybe this is about walmart gradually getting out of the auto service business? Did I mention I hate buying tires? Also, please don't say to call them, I've had that experience :eek:

No-it's a COVID thing. At my local Walmart the employees have to enter through the auto department door-the tire/oil change bays are still shut down. I have heard they are SLOWLY opening up their tire centers again.

I bought 4 tires on line and had them shipped to the store.
They mounted and balanced them.
It was flaw less.
I guess I was lucky.

Does your local Walmart install tires? Did you accidentally select a store that doesn't install tires? Did you click ship to home instead of ship to the store? Are the tires you bought actually sold and shipped by Walmart? They do have marketplace sellers, like Amazon and eBay have, so make sure you're actually buying from Walmart.

One time, I ordered tires on walmart.com to ship to a store I know had a TLE department, but they closed the TLE while the tires were in transit. So when the tires arrived, I had to take them to another Walmart that still had their TLE.

No-it's a COVID thing. At my local Walmart the employees have to enter through the auto department door-the tire/oil change bays are still shut down. I have heard they are SLOWLY opening up their tire centers again.

This. Each store's manager makes the decision to reopen their auto care department and start installing tires again.

I bought tires for my van from Walmart.com and had them shipped to my house. I brought the van with the tires to a local mechanic I deal with from time to time and had him mount and balance them. I saved quite a bit of money doing it that way vs. Amazon, Tire Rack, other online tire sites, or the local tire shops. The tires on my Liberty came from Amazon, they had the best deal at the time. In both cases the tires were not old stock or discontinued. As it stands now I won't do business with a tire shop.

Does your local Walmart install tires? Did you accidentally select a store that doesn't install tires? Did you click ship to home instead of ship to the store? Are the tires you bought actually sold and shipped by Walmart?
Yes, no, no, yes.
There is no "ship to store" or "free pickup" option for any of the tires in my size, the only shipping option is to my house, which is why I asked. A lot of them say 2 day delivery, must be from a walmart warehouse? Seems like it would cost them more to ship to me directly instead of to one of their stores via one of their regular trucks.

BTW not trying to be critical of WM, they did a great job with curbside pickup which we used exclusively for awhile.

Last edited:
I was under impression (just like you) that you may always select the store and have it installed there but my daughter (and now you) proved me wrong.

Not sure what is the reason behind it (I suspect it is not Walmart selling the tires) but for some tires you have to select "self".

Krzys

Back