What air pressure for new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Pontiac G6 had new tires installed kumho lx platinum size 215/55/17 got them cheap at Walmart online$71. The original size was 225/50/17 not sure what air pressure I should run with new tires

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_155203836.jpg
    IMG_20220223_155203836.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 82
The obvious question is why not install the original tire size? Have you compared the circumference of the 2 sizes?

When I've installed a different size I've gone wider, not narrower.

The door sticker ONLY applies to the exact OEM tires. If you change brand or size of tires, the door sticker is a guideline and no longer applies.

Read that again if confused.

I’d run 33 PSI for a week or two and see how they handle. Check for unusual wear patterns after a few months.

I think the proper way to do this is to use the load tables to first look up how much load is supported on your OEM tires at the door jam pressure, and then look up what pressure will support the same load on the new tires.

In practice it won't change much because you're likely not changing the tire size that much. For example, my door jam says 32 PSI on stock 225/55R17 97H tires, and when I did the load table calculations on my 215/65R16 102T XL winter tires the equivalent pressure ended up being 31 PSI...so no significant change.

The moral of the story is you don't have to worry about it and can just continue using the door jam pressure as your guide...that's what everyone just does.

2007 Pontiac G6 had new tires installed kumho lx platinum size 215/55/17 got them cheap at Walmart online$71. The original size was 225/50/17 not sure what air pressure I should run with new tires
What does it say on the sidewall of the new tire itself? All tires are marked as to inflation pressure. I like to run about 5 PSI under max. I like a firm ride, and don't have to worry about rain and snow. If you do run a bit less.

The door sticker ONLY applies to the exact OEM tires. If you change brand or size of tires, the door sticker is a guideline and no longer applies.

I’d run 33 PSI for a week or two and see how they handle. Check for unusual wear patterns after a few months.
This guy gets it. Spot on.

So what if there are 3 different brands of tires installed from the factory?

If anything, you would deviate from the placard based on the tire's load rating, not the size, and especially not the brand.

This guy gets it. Spot on.
He doesn't and it's not.

What does it say on the sidewall of the new tire itself? All tires are marked as to inflation pressure. I like to run about 5 PSI under max. I like a firm ride, and don't have to worry about rain and snow. If you do run a bit less.
Under normal operation you should be nowhere near the max inflation pressure on the sidewall.

Ah ....... Mmmmmm ...... Not exactly.

Ya' see, tires are standardized. So it doesn't matter WHO makes the tire, if the size is the same, the load carrying capacity is the same at the specified pressure.

I go into more detail here: Barry's Tire Tech: Load Tables

Yes, different make/models of tires may FEEL different, but that's because of the way the tire manufacturer wanted it to feel. The load carrying capacity (and this is a safety issue) is not.

Under normal operation you should be nowhere near the max inflation pressure on the sidewall.
Been running that way for over 50 years, on both bias ply and radial tires. In weather from -20F to over 120F, and never had a blowout or a problem. And have gotten good tire and fuel mileage from doing so.

Far more tires suffer from under inflation than over inflation. And it's one of the main causes for premature tire wear and blowouts.

A P225/50R17 has a load carrying capacity of 1433# @ 35 psi. A 215/55R17 has a load carrying capacity of 1433# @ 35 psi.

Use the same pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back