Buying Tires ar Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I has a set of Michelin's installed by Costco over the weekend. Since the car mfr (Infiniti) spec'd V-rated tires OE, and I was going to H-rated, the store made me sign a "Michelin Speed-Rated Tire Advisement" acknowledging I was reducing the performance rating of the tires and the car, and that the employee advised me that the handling of the car may be different. No big deal, I signed it and got the tires installed.

I think Costco does a pretty good job of the basic install. I wouldn't take my Ferrari there but they're fine for most cars and trucks. When they have their $60 instant rebate on Michelin's, their prices cannot be beat.

It depends on the people they hire. The Costco near me used to have some monkeys working in the tire shop. Now they have a crew that is more professional.

They are presently offering $60 off a set of 4 Michelin or 4 select BF Goodrich tires, Jan 8 to Feb 4.

Kestas, very true regarding quality of employees. But I also suspect a well-run and organized shop with good business practices will attract good help.

I was concerned about them using their air ratchet to tighten down the aluminum rims on my Volvo to 568 foot pounds or something obscene. But the tech said they "go by the specs in the book." Wow, who knew? Sure enough, it was even recorded as 63 ft/lbs which is the correct spec.

My family usually goes to #@$%!'s for tires. Last time we got some tires for my sisters car, they were rated very well at 60,000 miles (I think) and were $80 a tire. We got two, bought them at the register, they checked the tires to make sure they were the same ones, we brought them into their tire shop in the same building and they slapped them on in 15 minutes while we shopped.

They also removed the back tires which had less tread, put the new tires on those rims, and moved them to the front for us.

No we dont go to #@$%!'s, thank you auto censor for catching that mistake, we go to BEE JAYS whole sale club. B J ' S

I used to buy all of my tires from Costco. A couple years ago, I needed to take a 2000 mile trip. I needed tires before I left. I went to Costco to get Michelin AT's. They didn't have them in the store, so I ordered them. I let the guy know That I was taking a long trip on Saturday. He assured me (it was Monday) there would be no problem. I called on Wednesday, no tires. They called me Thursday, said my tires were in. I left work an hour early to get my tires. When I arrived, I was told they couldn't be done today because there was a tire sale and the guy was alone. Come back on Friday. I'm supposed to believe that tomorrow would be any different? Friday morning, I got up, went to STS and checked the price. They were considerably more than Costco. The kid behind the counter also said he didn't have the tires but could get them today. I told him what was going on, he said he couldn't even come close to Costco's price and that I should just suck it up and get the Costco tires for the price. I walked out to my truck, thought about it for a second and went back in and said put the tires on. I'll be back this afternoon. The STS kid picked me up at the train station and when I got to the store, he had knocked 25 dollars off each tire. They still cost a little more than Costco, but I wasn't worried all day that I would be starting off my Saturday getting tires instead of hitting the road. The STS guy got a nice tip.
I've been self employed for 17 years and I refuse to give anyone my business if they don't treat me as well as I treat my customers. I know I won't hurt Costco by myself, but I'm not giving 700 bucks to someone I don't get a good feeling from. The best was when they kept calling me saying my tires were in. I kept telling them I was kinda busy but I'd get there when I get there.

I've bought tires from Costco for at least 12 years now- I've always had very good service from them. They *will* sell you less than four tires if you bring the rims "loose", not on the vehicle as I recently did for my '77 Chev P/U (I'm phasing out the $@#*%&#@!! 16.5-inch rims with real 16's). Funny thing as I think about it- when Costco started up back in September of 1983 the very first flyer I saw about this newfangled store explained various tires for sale.

I've got those Michelin X-Radials on my '95 Civic and absolutely love them. And just last month I accidentally gouged a sidewall against a sidewalk/curb while parking at the Bellingham Costco- got a prorated warranty replacement on it within an hour.

Costco has *always* been good to me.

I just remembered that I was told by a friend with a tire shop that Costco has the tires they sell made to slightly different specs so you're locked into them for replacements. That's probably why they only sell two tires on the same axle. IF it's true.

Really doubt the "different specs" thing. Re-engineering an already developed product would be so expensive the end result would cost more than the original.

bob

Quote:

Really doubt the "different specs" thing. Re-engineering an already developed product would be so expensive the end result would cost more than the original.

bob

Bob,

It is failry common for tire manufacturers to produce a line tires that is similar but slightly different than their mainline. This "re-engineering" can be as little as a nameplate change and as extensive as a complete redesign, particularly effective if the design is a few years old. The cost of "re-engineering" is spread over several outlets, thereby reducing the cost per tire. Sears, Costco, WalMart, and some in-house "brand" might get the "same" tire. Besides, these non-mainline tires don't have to be advertised nor even have sales incentives, further reducing the costs involved.

Pita is bread, PITA is an acronym for Pain in the Arse.
I was told that Costco tire is actually a sub-franchised entity. The employees are not Costco employees, and explains why different Costco tire procedures and products exist. My local Costco eliminated all tire manufacurers except Michelin/Goodrich. If I need service on my Bridgestones, I might be SOL and that is a PITA!

Quote:

Aware of that. I think I may have misunderstood NYEngineer to mean look alike, same named tires with lowered material quality.

Sorry,
No apology necessary. I know full well the big companies like Home Depot, Costco and others all force manufacturers to alter their product slightly to lower the cost. This way they can sell the product at a reduced cost. If Costco calls Michelin and says we want to sell your tires for 50 dollars each, so you have to sell them to us for 30, do you think Michelin's going to turn down the business? No. They're going to produce a tire they can sell them for 30 dollars. I used to see it all the time when people brought Generac generators to my shop for repairs. As soon as we opened one up, we knew it came from Home Depot. I called Generac to complain that HD was selling gens for less than I could get them for. They basically said "That's life". I dropped Generac and picked up Briggs and Stratton.

Bob

I always take my wheels off my truck and take them in "loose" to Costco. This way there are no arguments and I can order the tires I want in the sizes I want and put them on at the front or rear as I choose. Also, if I anticipate a problem when they ask me what vehicle it is for, I tell them it is for a Trailer and that shuts them up, they do not know how to handle that. Also, I prefer to install the wheels myself on the truck anyway, that way I can torque the lugnuts down properly and avoid cracking the plastic centre caps by overtightening the retaining nuts. I will sometimes find the most remote spot in the Costco parking lot and take the wheels off right there and then wheel them in to the Tire Centre. Not only is the initial price lower at Costco, their free flat repair has saved me a few bucks. They seem to do a decent job of flat repair, I have not had any problems. Their tire techs are not very experienced but they are well trained and I think their work is closely monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back