Buying Tires ar Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a set of Michelin X Radials at Costco for my Beretta. I checked their tire prices online before going to my local Costco. The online price was $4.00 cheaper per tire online than the stores listed price. They matched the price. I would suggest if you plan to purchase tires from them check the online price before going into the store - you might safe a couple of bucks

Yes, I experienced the same thing with Discount Tire, where I pointed out their warehouse price was $20 less per tire than their retail store price.

The moral of the story is - Do your homework, you can save some money!

I am shopping for tires for one of my cars and stopped in Costco. Those Michelin X's are a great deal witht the $60 off. I usually buy from tirerack, but being 175/70/13, there really isn't any savings made through mail order.

I am considering Kumho 795s from Discount Tire and the Mich. X from Costco. I have never been too impressed with Mich. tires, given thier price. But since the $60 rebate prices this right next to the Kumho, I'm swaying in the direction of the X.

What do you think of those Michelin Xs???

quote:

Originally posted by Willy_G:
....What do you think of those Michelin Xs???

That's what's currently on my wife's Expedition. We bought them at Costco. They have approx 15k miles on them, & we are very pleased with them. Here's a pic:
 -

Long wearing, great mileage, good for heavy cars, fair ride quality, good handling dry, fair to poor in the wet, in my experience.
Used them on four to five different cars, got 110k on a Honda Civic with them, and as little as 50k on a full sized Cad.

FWIW, Michelin X radial rated #2 overall in recent test conducted by Consumer Reports. #1 tire was Goodyear Triple Tread.

Michelin X Radial Is an Excellent Tire for all season. Good amount of sipes, as well as wide and Deep Circumferential grooves. Only drawback I can state, the price. But when compared to other top of the line tires, they're not too far off.

costco will only put back on the speed rating that came on the car.
So if it came with an H thats only what they will sell you. you can not buy a T.

other tire shops put on whatever you want

It is hard to beat Costcos price. Mounting and balincing for $10 per tire. Lifetime rotations, rebalancing and free flat repair. Check out the cost for that at any other tire shop. The only thing missing is that their road hazard warranty is prorated. I just checked today and the installed cost is less than what you could do with Tirerack.

Costco just put a set of Michelin X on my Nissan Frontier. Major improvement over the OEM Firestone Wilderness, but I expected that. The Firestones always felt like an accident waiting to happen in any emergency stops. With the wet season coming up, I just decided it was time.

Hey - they're closed but...

Can you order tires online and just pick them up, without getting them mounted and balanced? I can do that my own in no time flat (no pun intended).

The website says 'installation' and if balancing is only $5 each it's OK, but I am getting conflicting info from people here and dont' want a surprise at the store.
ooo.gif

"I am considering Kumho 795s from Discount Tire and the Mich. X from Costco."

Last spring I put the Kumho 795's on my wife's Subaru Forester. For the price, which is very low, they're a great tire. Tirerack rates them 4th out of 29 standard touring all-seasons in their rating chart for that type of tire.

1- the people dont actually know tires, or anything else about cars. Jsut retail geeks. At least near Boston. Nice geeks but geeks.

2-they dont sell wheels. Tirerack will give you a new steel wheel for 50 a piece, so you can go all new each time. This matters more for winter tires for most people.

Went to my local Costco today to see about ordering tires for my wife's car. The guy behind the counter says that Costco no longer carries Bridgestone--only Michelin and BF Goodrich. I've always liked Costco because of the convenience and price, but the lack of selection is driving me toward Discount Tires Direct or Tirerack.

Costco is a PITA. They'll only sell four tires, not just 2. Won't mix brands, won't go even a little outside their recommendations, even if the car's manufacturer specs two sizes. Scroo em. Their prices aren't that great when you consider the hoops you have to jump through to get service, rotation, balancing after the sale.

And those stupid bright green caps indicating a tire filled with Nitrogen couldn't be a worse color
crackmeup.gif
. Nitrogen's color-coding is a dark grey in HazMat terms. As if the bright green is a badge of quality or something. Like a sore thumb.

I bought 2 of the BF Goodrich Traction T/A H 195/60R/15's from Costco. The only quirk is they insist on installing 2 new tires on back, regardless of front or rear wheel drive.

I went with Costco because I knew they'd be around in 5 yrs time should I have a problem. I was VERY impressed with their service. And these tires, as of this date, seem to fair quite well as per Tire Rack:

http://tinyurl.com/uvpyt

Quote:

The only quirk is they insist on installing 2 new tires on back, regardless of front or rear wheel drive.

that is what tire manufactures require installers to do. regardless of fwd or rwd new tires always go in the back. it is for better wet handling. at my shop if a customer wants the new ones on the front we make them sign a form aknowledging what they want is not what the tire manufacturers or we recommend. when i was in sales i would show them the paperwork from Goodyear/Dunlop and Michelin/BFG all stating the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back