Where to buy tires, dealer or costco etc

After many years of using tire rack to do research I finally used them to buy tires. That went so quick and smooth that I then ordered tpms sensors too. highly recommended.
I used discount tire for years before that. some good stories and some bad stories on that but that's to be expected if you go somewhere long enough

believe it or not, Amazon was a pretty good deal last time i Bought tires from them. Got 5 for my wrangler, all date codes within the year, and all delivered quickly. Got Dynapro AT2'S 6 ply in 30x9.5x15 for $150 each. I usually go through tirerack

I usually get mine either from Walmart or DiscountTireDirect / TireRack depends on who is cheaper. Costco and Dealers tend to be too high end for me.

Reactions: hrv
Depending on what I want, I'll either go to Costco or a local tire shop that I've been using since 1970 or so.

1675107029659.jpeg

I've sorta settled on the garage that does my vehicle safety and emissions inspections. I think one time I brought some in, the last couple of times I asked them to order them. But I've used a number of shops in the past, including Walmart.

If I could find a good used tire balancer I'd be tempted to do at home, but I don't have space for one, and don't feel like messing with static balance, I'm cheap but have expensive tastes I guess.

I've sorta settled on the garage that does my vehicle safety and emissions inspections. I think one time I brought some in, the last couple of times I asked them to order them. But I've used a number of shops in the past, including Walmart.

If I could find a good used tire balancer I'd be tempted to do at home, but I don't have space for one, and don't feel like messing with static balance, I'm cheap but have expensive tastes I guess.
So basically you have to pay for balance but don't want to. Otherwise your statement makes no sense.

While I am a big Costco fan, I have never got tires there, for a number of reasons.

First, they have a very limited selection, only carrying Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone and BF Goodrich. I have owned a few sets of Michelin and Bridgestone tires (never Firestone or BF Goodrich), but sometimes my choice is Continental, Nokian or Pirelli. Or something else that Costco doesn't offer. Second, I don't buy into the nitrogen thing, so Costco marketing that is a little bit of a turnoff for me. Third, I like full service tire shops, who will rotate and balance my tires for free. And check air pressure for free. And take off my winter tires and install my summer tires, for free.

So basically you have to pay for balance but don't want to. Otherwise your statement makes no sense.
If I could find a balancer on the cheap, I'm mount at home, balance, and save the $20-25 per tire for mount&balance. I don't have the balancer, thus I can't save that $80-100 per set of new tires. Bummer. I can do my trailer tires (which typically don't "need" balancing, not sure why).

The local garage can order tires for me, or I can order myself and have them mount & balance, don't recall if they charge extra if they didn't source the tires--I don't think so, in order for them to find the tires they do some legwork and mark the tires up--if I bring in myself, it's that much less work, so the mnt&bal fee is by itself.

Might try flynn's they have great prices and moved in across from the shop.. so 1/4 mile instead of 70mile round trip to DT.
Costco is an option if they have the tire for the 2020 ram.. their selection of AT is limited.

I refuse to buy tires from Costco. They are not a tire dealer, don't do alignments. When I buy tires I want the alignment checked. I have gotten better deals at my local mom and pop tire store than any other place I've priced.

I buy everything at America's Tire. They price match the lowest price you find on the internet and Costco, Walmart, and Sams club.
Hmmm, googled America's Tire and it sent me to Discount Tire. Go figure.

I buy my tires from Ti9re Rack and have a local shop install them. The shop has a computerized tire dismounting/mounting machine along wit road force balancer.

I refuse to buy tires from Costco. They are not a tire dealer, don't do alignments. When I buy tires I want the alignment checked. I have gotten better deals at my local mom and pop tire store than any other place I've priced.
I’ll always buy there except for the garage queen. Like the idea of not worrying and no longer plugging myself, knowing patch is free. The only time in my life I got a warranty replacement due to wear was them. Repeat customer here.

Local Les Schwab is where we buy tires, comparable prices compared to the other tire stores and great after sale service. ;)

I’ve used a local father/son tire store for years. They’re typically a few bucks higher than the chain stores but there’s no bs sales pitches for other services, no waiting in the lobby etc. I can also take my lawn mower tires and wheels to them and they’ll have me ready to go in 20 minutes without any blank looks before telling me they either don’t mount small mower tires or can work me in Tuesday.

Back