Buying parts

Where do buy most of your auto parts?

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Local parts stores

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Where do you guys buy most of your parts?

Rant:
Went to two parts store including NAPA for drain plug washer (engine oil) and they didn't have one.

This is a very common washer used in 3 of my cars 1997, 2005 and 2014.
I still have 2 new ones and some used one in very good shape. I have used old ones from time to time with no issues. but when my supply gets low, I get more.

the NAPA guy spent a few minutes looking and told me to go to Hardware store. lol
Yes, why didn't I think of that? Pass up 3 auto parts stores nearby and go to the HW store.
btw, hw store didn't have it either.

Same thing happened with the brake grease last time. Was looking for high temp CRC silicon grease (Ceramic-fortified) and went to 4 parts store and one NAPA finally had it. But I can understand that because it may not be a very common item ...

That Rock Auto commercial is right. I asked the NAPA guy can you lookup the part number instead of checking the drawers ... He goes we don't have it, go to hw store and no offer to even order it.

Haven't used online retailers but seems like auto parts stores maybe heading south like shopping malls fell the victim of online retailers.

As much as I didn't want to use online store like Rock Auto, I think I will be opening an online account.

Before I worked at a parts store I'd buy most of it on Amazon or rockauto. Now I just mostly shop at work for the discount and convenience. Sometimes I'll still buy online if I want a specific brand or because occasionally it's still cheaper even with the employee discount.

Mostly online, but I had a slight emergency the other day and had to pick up a starter locally. Went with the cheapest rebuild they had since I'm going to keep the factory one and rebuild it for a spare. Luckily its only a 30 min job start to finish on the Accord. OEM one lasted 17 years and over 220k. Not bad.

It depends on the particular circumstances. If I can wait 2 - 5 days for a repair, I'll order online from Rockauto or Amazon. If I need it NOW, I'll hit one of the local parts stores. I'll still try and save money by seeing if I can get a 20 - 30% online coupon for AAP/Carquest when I have to buy locally.

Join the AAP Speed Perks or Speed Points to get their discounts . But I get email discounts from most of the brick and mortar stores .

Mostly online. Although if B&M has it in stock and it's of quality I will consider that. Sometimes it comes down to price vs availability. If I "need it" today, then B&M, otherwise I will try to get the quality part from online.

I'll buy OEM parts if it matters. They aren't always the best. I prefer OEM filters and some other parts, but last few sets of brakes were not OEM. Quality and cost come into play on that decision.

Some of the dealerships are running stores on Ebay. Not sure if that counts as a dealership purchase or online purchase.

For Canadians, Rock Auto is awesome. Much cheaper than Canadian part stores, even with shipping.

I'm in agreement with you. Up here in the great white north we get ripped off on most parts prices locally. I only buy in the store if I need the part and cannot wait. If it's routine maintenance or can wait then I'll order from Rockauto.

Sometimes I've ordered from Napa online and picked up in the store when visiting the US.

Dealer. My last car, a VW GTI, needed a few parts. After getting a stupid price from a local VW dealer, I told him I can obtain OEM VW parts much cheaper online from ECS Tuning and other VW dealers that sell online. I'd rather support local, but I wont if I need to pay more.
So he set me up an account under "Mikes Garage" and have always got online price matching

Rock Auto if you're not in a hurry, and can even wait on them to "ship the right part" 😁 Occasionally Amazon but that place has gone downhill quick. It's like Amazon is home to all the people that got kicked off eBay for fraud.

Local stores have become an absolute sleazefest. Parts twice, three times as much as online. For example, using AAP Speedperks coupons AND 20% off coupon you will typically pay right at the same price as online. But no coupon and discount and you get ripped severely.

Reactions: JC1
Rock Auto if you're not in a hurry, and can even wait on them to "ship the right part" 😁 Occasionally Amazon but that place has gone downhill quick. It's like Amazon is home to all the people that got kicked off eBay for fraud.

Local stores have become an absolute sleazefest. Parts twice, three times as much as online. For example, using AAP Speedperks coupons AND 20% off coupon you will typically pay right at the same price as online. But no coupon and discount and you get ripped severely.

You are right. With amazon you have to be careful and check the seller score and reviews. In general I've not had major issues with Amazon except some batteries. Twice I ordered Energizer batteries and the picture showed Energizer with expiration date ... but they sent me bulk Chinese batteries which were on Amazon also but much cheaper . When I tried to add a review that the product I got did not match the advertised item, Amazon kept deleting my review and would not publish it. They told me that review should be nice ... I was not being rude and just said the product I received was not as advertised ... But they blocked my reviews anyway. Later on I found out what was going on by reading many other complaints. The seller was amazon itself. There was a reputable seller listed but it also said "supplied and shipped by amazon and listed amazon as the main supplier".

I made sure I return the product and have them pay for all shipping. That's the only way, if you don't like it or its a false advertisement , send it back. Normally I would have just kept the batteries and not worry about it but once they blocked my review, I decided to sent it back.

In general, I'm happy with Amazon since I can return stuff without hassle and have hardly ever returned anything. Just make sure the READ the reviews before buying.

If I need the part ASAP, or it’s not too pricey I’ll just buy at Autozone. Otherwise I buy online. I generally order from Amazon and sometimes Rock Auto.

My CEL came on the other day and based on code I’m guessing I need a new primary side O2 sensor. Autozone wanted $125 for the OEM sensor and it was $78 on Amazon so I ordered from Amazon with free next day shipping.

Based on some previous threads, you do have to be careful with counterfeit auto parts from Amazon (especially spark plugs)! I’ll likely buy spark plugs from Autozone in the future.

Online, unless it's an emergency. I even have stuff from AAP & AZ shipped to my house now. Have had some bad experiences walking into their stores to pick up online orders so I spare myself the aggravation and just have stuff sent to my door.

Join the AAP Speed Perks or Speed Points to get their discounts . But I get email discounts from most of the brick and mortar stores .
if you can, find an AAP store that handles alot of commercial accounts. my store was also a hub store, we provided parts to other AAPs When you mentioned the drain plug washer, i still know where it was in the store. Believe me, top commercial accounts don't mess around, some days i would be answering 4 phones using 4 computers, they will not tolerate bs

btw i needed a switch assembly recently for the power windows on my 2005 buick century, ordering through of all places, walmart, got me the ac delco switch complete with hologram on package, delivered for $ 55 . i didn't want to do the job twice

Back