Buying/ordering a new Ram questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at new Rams, unhappy with the 2018 F-150. Hoped to keep it 7-8 years but way too many problems. If I can get a good deal I am in the market for a new Ram. But have some questions...

1. If I order, when is the last day to order 2020? Especially with all that is going on.

2. If I order, do you get incentives at time you order or take delivery? With Ford the best offer applies.

3. Does Ram always have conquest cash? Does it go more than $1000 (it is $1k until end of month)?

4. I hear rebates were good last year June and Dec. I am not in a hurry. What were those deals, if anyone remembers?

5. Ford has factory to dealer cash that dealers can use up to $1000 per deal. But can't be used on special orders. I heard Ram has similar cash. Anyone know if the is the same with Ram about not using on orders?

6. Is the PenFed credit union $1000 incentive active and legit? Only $5 to sign up for an acct.

7. I am hoping Ram didn't sell many trucks so far in April and has much better rebates in two days.

8. I have a truck in mind, unless I order, that is 130 miles away. But they are not known for great discounts because of little area competition. Better to go there on last day of month, or put local dealers against each other (there are about 10 within an hour drive) on a dealer trade or order? I prefer to do it all online.

9. Can I order individual items or need to order whole package? Foe example, I want blind spot warning sensors. Do I need to get the Laramie Level 1 equipment group, or can I just order the blind spot as an add on? I know Big Horn it is a stand alone add-on.

10. Am I missing anything?

Ram is offering a 84 month zero interest and 90 days until the first payment on some vehicles now. They are also offering up to $12500 discounts on some vehicles. Your choice, not combined. One way or another it is a pretty good time to buy.

Are factories even running right now? It would not shock me if ordering is on hold because nothing is being built.

When you buy a new vehicle-you end up with things you feel you don't need or want-to get options that are desirable to you. Dealers would much rather sell you one in stock and do everything in their power for you to take delivery of what they have in stock.

It's painfully obvious you must have never bought a new vehicle before.

Some incentives-you must buy from Dealer stock-usually.

The RAM website and a RAM TRUCK specific forum -OR an actually dealer could answer your questions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour
Are factories even running right now? It would not shock me if ordering is on hold because nothing is being built.

You probably can't order, but individual car models usually have anywhere from 60-120 days worth of inventory in stock. With slow sales, it's probably more than that based on current sales.

Originally Posted by CKN

It's painfully obvious you must have never bought a new vehicle before.

The RAM website and a RAM TRUCK specific forum -OR an actually dealer could answer your questions.

I have bought several new vehicles before. Never a FCA one, or a special order. I asked these questions on a RAM forum but didn't get any hits and don't really want to talk to a dealer unless I have to at this point in my research.

What I do know is they're desperate to sell them. Love my 2019 1500 Classic!

But yeah... sometimes you can add individual things, other times it's part of some sort of package. For instance, the chrome appearance package on mine deletes the factory spray in bed liner (ridiculous).

Curious but what kinds of issues are you having with your F-150? FWIW I like the new Ram the best but I thought Ford stepped up their quality over the years.

Seems they have all entered into a Cafe complexity that's had various teething. I bought my 2018 Z71 with many 2019's on the lot mainly to stick with a 6 speed that's been around a while. Never been one to buy a first year whatever.

I got the 2019 RAM Classic in June. It has the 3.6L Pentastar, 8sp trans, and 3.55 gearing. Its an excellent truck. I had a 2019 F-150 for a three week rental, and the ride quality of the RAM blows the 150 away.

you better cross your fingers if you think bad luck is automatically going to go away when buying an fca product...some of the big issues are hvac system primarily the weak ac output, leaky sliding rear window do to cracked bezel/frame, and a buggy 12" uconnect info center. now with that said, the ram is the best riding along with a fantastic upscale interior that no one comes close to (yet). also imo the zf8 spd tranny is top notch as well. I only wish the 6.4l was offered in the 1500...maybe some day..if you get a cream puff you'll love it, if not well you know how that goes....good luck....i'd shoot for 12k off msrp with low percent credit union financing...

Last edited:
I'll just say that no other dealers could/would match Dennis Dillon in Idaho for deals on RAMs when I bought mine. We did the deal over the phone, I flew in, they picked me up, no surprises when finalizing the sale, then I made the long drive home. No issues at all with the truck.

I know you say you think it is too early to talk to a dealer, but that's really where the best combination of deals/incentives is going to come from. I saved an obscene amount of money ordering my 2020 SRT because of programs FCA was running at the time. It was far cheaper than getting an in-stock 2019, the caveat of course being I needed to wait on delivery. A competent sales manager is going to be able to advise you far better than we are.

You're going to get the best answers to your 10 questions by email dealerships. It's a good test if nothing else.

Whoever answers the questions best would get my business. The ones who don't you wouldn't want to deal with IMO.

You sound very particular on your wants/needs, so you may have to order. I've never known a special order vehicle to be a lower out the door cost than one sitting on a lot, but everyone's experience will vary I guess.

I'm personally not that picky. It's all about the particular deal for me to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back