buying oil in bulk vs when needed to keep records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I didn't know people didn't care to see maintenance records.

But, I think it can assist in persuading a buyer to purchase your car, if only to ease their "feel good" need. It is just too easy to toss any receipts into a large folder not to keep them until you sell the car, then toss them. You seldom need to look at any receipts, so don't waste any time organizing them beyond chronological. Keep a simple Excel file or log book to help you remember when you last did something and/or other details of interest (try a new technique or brand, etc.). Some people spend more time organizing and record keeping than actually doing the work.

At sale time, tell the buyer of the regular maintenance and repairs performed. Let them see the log book and receipts sitting on the table, without going into any lengthy explanations. That is more than enough for most. Enthusiasts might actually want to glance at the records.

Oh, yea, it doesn't matter if you use bulk oil or individual containers.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I didn't know people didn't care to see maintenance records.

This is BITOG, and not the general population at large. We here want to see records. Most anyone else in the car market prefer to make sure that the color of the car matches the color of their house, and that their iPod plugs in properly, and that's about it. Records to them are useless pieces of paper with gibberish on it.

Just the way it is. In a sense my own medical records are full of gibberish (literally a different language!), and the patterns my wife gets for crochet contain gibberish, so on and so forth. Unless if you have a deep interest in something, you'll look foolish to everyone in that subject who does have a passion for it.

well I don't just have a stack full of paper thrown in a file. I staple the oil and filter receipt to an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and write down the mileage and date of the work. Same with whatever parts were bought. If I replaced a serpentine belt I put that receipt in the folder with the mileage written down also stapled to a full sheet of paper.

About 10% of the active BITOG members buy oil in bulk. Over the life of the car the money you save isn't significant.

Then you couple that with those members who have to get rid of the oil because they no longer own/service the car they bought the oil for-and then it needs to be sold or otherwise disposed of. OR, they move and cannot transport the oil they have purchased.

IMHO-buy your oil as needed.

I buy oil in bulk, if the sale is good enough, but not in insane quantities like some of the members on here. With my new minivan I buy the oil filter from the dealer shortly before the oil change and take a dated picture of the oil jug and file it along with the filter receipt, plus I make an entry in the maintenance section of the owner's manual.
I hope I will never have the need for it, but if I do, I think it should be enough for warranty coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back