Buying car parts off amazon and rockauto

I have come across a few threads here on bitog regarding people buying parts off amazon and rockauto and finding out they got counterfeits... it seems like spark plugs seem to be common, but I have read about other parts too, so my question is, how common is it to get fakes off rock auto or amazon? I would expect it more off amazon, and I am somewhat concerned now because I have bought a multitude of brand name parts off amazon for cheap (some sort of sale, as the prices would go up afterwards), and reading these counterfeit threads makes me wonder

I bought front Centric posi-quiet pads off Amazon, and although it said they'd fit.......no.

I lately, bought Akebono pads off Rock Auto, and had much better experience as they were indexed well.

The Akebono pads are really good on my BMW X1.

I'm pretty sure they're real.

Car already got the rears in Centric of which I enjoy the lessor rear braking.

You can frequently check the sellers' ID. With car parts the sellers are frequently automotive dealerships. They are a safe source.

Also, it is purported that RockAuto's warehouses are real distributors too.

Ebay and the more random Amazon sellers are more problematic.

every time I bought off amazon, it was shipped and sold by amazon.ca, not a third party reseller, and it appears that amazon.ca was selling directly from the manufacturer as

In the case of Amazon the more Amazon is in control the better. If Amazon ships it +1, if Amazon sells it +2.

I cannot comment on RockAuto except they have a lot of "budget" parts made by companies I have never heard of. And I hate the way RockAuto charges for shipping. Hate hate hate.

I typically check any part fitment I get from Amazon with what is listed on RockAuto or maybe the manufacture's website.

I've had no problems with either rock auto or amazon ….I do like free shipping with amazon on some stuff

I've never gotten anything counterfeit from Amazon, though I never buy things like this that are fulfilled by 3rd parties and seldom even supplied by 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon.

Then again there have been cases where Amazon shows a part is correct for a vehicle and it isn't, they seem far less reliable in that than Rock Auto is, so on Amazon I mostly just search for part numbers I know are correct. Rock Auto has given me far more cases of bait and switch where I pay more for the major brand part and receive what looks exactly like the lower cost off-brand stuffed into the major brand box. Granted they don't guarantee parts will look exactly as pictured, but it still seems like a dirty tactic if I'm paying more then receive what I could have gotten cheaper, had I known what they were going to send, or just shopped elsewhere if I can't get the major brand quality part there.

I can't complain about Rock Auto charging for shipping, since practically everyone else besides Amazon does or else it's built into higher parts prices. I do sometimes find it fishy that I can have planned out which parts to get based on the warehouses they're coming from, to save on shipping from fewer warehouses, then I add another part that shows it's from the same warehouse and it toggles a part already in my cart to come from a different warehouse than it was when I picked it, so I have to start over and pick different parts or give up and go to amazon because they're then cheaper due to multiple RA warehouse shipping charges.

For RockAuto, I always price it with the included shipping fee.
A lot of time, RA is still cheaper even after adding the shipping fee.
The most recent purchase was Raybestos EHT brake pads which have the best price last month, not sure if it is still the same.

Rock Auto is not a problem. It should in no way be lumped in with the den of thieves that is Amazon Marketplace, thousands of often fly by night individual sellers that are in no way policed by Amazon. Rock Auto is completely legit. Have never seen a counterfeit part from there. Also, Rock Auto fitment is excellent.

The only way you are getting “free shipping” from Amazon is it’s costing you $120 a year to be a Prime member. You will also note that Prime prices are higher than the same item sold by Amazon as a non-Prime: that is because they are also lumping in hidden shipping fees on the Prime price. A lot of so called Amazon Marketplace sellers are just drop shipping from another source for a markup: sellers not only have no inventory, they have never seen the merchandise. Even if the seller is honest they are at the mercy of suppliers. Rock Auto buys from the manufacturer but does also sell closeout or grab bag items: still not fakes. They are liquidators. If Rock Auto sells a Closeout or white box item on their website, they are clearly marked as such. They are also priced accordingly: low. Have never been burned by one of those, either.

My lesson was relatively cheap, I bought counterfeit Toyota oil drain plug gaskets. They were poorly made with a layer of paper instead of rubber. As you probably know, an Amazon ad can be used for multiple sellers, I went with the cheapest. After getting a refund for my $6, I coughed up an extra buck or two and bought from a real Toyota dealer off the same ad.

Reactions: JC1
Love Rockauto, never a problem. Amazon I've had issues with third party sellers. Ebay has actually been OK for me mostly. I also use Summit if I'm going to breach the cost for free shipping. They have access and sell about any car part you can imagine.

Interestingly, all the car parts I have ever bought off amazon have been sold and fulfilled by amazon.ca, there was never any third party involed. I bought this aisin accord timing belt kit

I was very surprised when I got the kit that the 2 springs were directly from the honda dealer, with the red honda tags and the exact OEM honda part number on them. I was very pleased to see that. That kit was about as OEM as it gets at a fraction of the cost the honda dealer would sell it at

I got a load of "jobber" oil filters from rock auto when I was expecting premium wix black ones. Sure, they fit and won't blow up, but there's a difference between cheapo and not.

My jobber filters had a part number prefix (618?) so it was effectively a different part number.

RA shipping is cheaper to a business. If they lose the sale due to high shipping, I don't think they care. Amazon probably subsidizes sending stuff my way, in a corner of the country far, far from the docks and warehouses of Southern California.

I got a load of "jobber" oil filters from rock auto when I was expecting premium wix black ones. Sure, they fit and won't blow up, but there's a difference between cheapo and not.

My jobber filters had a part number prefix (618?) so it was effectively a different part number.

RA shipping is cheaper to a business. If they lose the sale due to high shipping, I don't think they care. Amazon probably subsidizes sending stuff my way, in a corner of the country far, far from the docks and warehouses of Southern California.
They show a picture and a part number for their wide variety of parts. If the sent you a bunch of "Jobber" parts that weren't what you ordered you can contact them for a resolution. I have ordered from them many dozen's of times and unless you are shopping closeout or open box there is never a surprise. If there is they will make it right. RA drop ships as they don't own any physical inventory. If an order is screwed up they likely won't know unless you squawk. They can then deal with the independent warehouse that cheated you.

Love Rockauto, never a problem. Amazon I've had issues with third party sellers. Ebay has actually been OK for me mostly. I also use Summit if I'm going to breach the cost for free shipping. They have access and sell about any car part you can imagine.

Lots of people here are stating "third party sellers," but likely aren't aware of this:

Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) is a program that Amazon offers third party merchants where Amazon handles all aspects of sale, warehousing, and shipment once a seller sends their products in to their warehouses. This is a program that is built for maximum speed, and all products with the same SKUs get mixed in together, regardless of who the individual sellers who shipped them in are. This means that counterfeits can be commingled with authentic products, and not even Amazon (apparently) can easily determine where they came from. This gives an added level of protection to counterfeiters, as the smokescreen between them and the nefarious products they spike Amazon's supply chain with is often incredibly thick.

Rock Auto is not a problem. It should in no way be lumped in with the den of thieves that is Amazon Marketplace, thousands of often fly by night individual sellers that are in no way policed by Amazon. Rock Auto is completely legit. Have never seen a counterfeit part from there. Also, Rock Auto fitment is excellent.

The only way you are getting “free shipping” from Amazon is it’s costing you $120 a year to be a Prime member. You will also note that Prime prices are higher than the same item sold by Amazon as a non-Prime: that is because they are also lumping in hidden shipping fees on the Prime price.

A lot of so called Amazon Marketplace sellers are just drop shipping from another source for a markup: sellers not only have no inventory, they have never seen the merchandise. Even if the seller is honest they are at the mercy of suppliers.

Rock Auto buys from the manufacturer but does also sell closeout or grab bag items: still not fakes. They are liquidators. If Rock Auto sells a Closeout or white box item on their website, they are clearly marked as such. They are also priced accordingly: low. Have never been burned by one of those, either.

Rock Auto is also drop shipper. The difference is that they partner with the same distributors that independent auto parts stores use, or will ship directly from the manufacturer. The only liquidator parts are the ones marked wholesaler closeout; these usually come from Ultra-Power in Sugar Land, TX. Rock Auto owns no inventory and has no warehouses.

I bought balljoints for my Jeep from Amazon. Got used ones.

Someone changed their balljoints, shoved the old ones in the package and went to the Amazon return center. Kinda crappy.

I bought balljoints for my Jeep from Amazon. Got used ones.

Someone changed their balljoints, shoved the old ones in the package and went to the Amazon return center. Kinda crappy.

Funny you say that. I bought a Dorman drain pan with drain from amazon and the first pan had a scratch. I returned for replacement and then the second pan was a returned Mopar drain pan (used of course and cleaned up). Nobody at Amazon checked they just put it back into inventory. I had to file a complaint and then wait a few weeks for the new one, third pan was fine.

Lots of people here are stating "third party sellers," but likely aren't aware of this:

Right, fulfilled by, but what if it says specifically "ships and sold by amazon" Like this example here

Untitled.jpg

Back