Burning a little oil now after a swap to Schaeffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,
Has anyone experienced this before? This is on my father-in-law's 97 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.7. He has 136k on it and was using Supertech dino oil with a fram filter at 4k OCIs. I changed it over to the Schaeffer 7000 series and a Mobil 1 filter. After 1k of driving it has burned 1/2 qt of oil and it never did that before on the other oil.

Shaeffer's is a synthetic and so it may take an OCI or two to settle in. Remember its also cleaning out the deposits(if any) left behind.

Give it another OCI, but basically 1qt/per 2k isn't to bad. I am not sure if its normal for the truck to burn any oil but I'll wait for others to chime in. Usually when making a switch like that you will notice some burning until another OCI or two in.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Oil weight before? After?

5w30 before and after

Originally Posted By: Anies
Shaeffer's is a synthetic and so it may take an OCI or two to settle in. Remember its also cleaning out the deposits(if any) left behind.

Give it another OCI, but basically 1qt/per 2k isn't to bad. I am not sure if its normal for the truck to burn any oil but I'll wait for others to chime in. Usually when making a switch like that you will notice some burning until another OCI or two in.

It didn't burn any oil before that I know of.

Hmmm, wait for others to chime in. I'd probably stick it out for another oil change because Schaeffers is a very good oil. When changing from dino to synthetic or even brands of oil there is usually an adjustment period.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Hmmm, wait for others to chime in. I'd probably stick it out for another oil change because Schaeffers is a very good oil. When changing from dino to synthetic or even brands of oil there is usually an adjustment period.

Thanks for the replies.....I am sure this is the case but i wanted to be sure

Two or three oil changes and your consumption should go away. The Schaeffer's has a lot better additive package in it than the Supertech does. It's doing some cleaning around the rings. The Schaeffer's 7000 series is an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Two or three oil changes and your consumption should go away. The Schaeffer's has a lot better additive package in it than the Supertech does. It's doing some cleaning around the rings. The Schaeffer's 7000 series is an excellent oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: Johnny

+2

Originally Posted By: djquik1
It didn't burn any oil before that I know of.

It is common for oil consumption to temporarily increase after switching oils, especially if there is a viscosity change.

Yep. Not all that uncommon when going to dissimilar oils. It's a bit hard to wrap around and can unnerve you a bit if you haven't experienced it before.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Save your money and switch to GTX. The oil issue will end without further need to explain and explain and explain.

No thanks....Everyone else has been more than helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back