Bumper cover repairs?

So I got rear ended yesterday in my 2017 Mazda 6. Last time this car was wrecked (into) right after I bought it, they replaced a small piece between the hood and grill and used an oem part (not at fault for that wreck, it was parked…). I’m not at fault for this wreck either (I was stopped at an intersection and ran into from behind) but they’re telling me only aftermarket parts not as my car isn’t new anymore.

1- I’m not at fault. My insurance will initially pay for the repairs but will seek reimbursement for the car, the deductible, and the medical. Should I be able to demand oem parts if any parts are needed?

2-are bumper covers repairable? I know they need to have a certain amount of flex and give to them. My body man friend said as long as it isn’t cracked it’s repairable. He said aftermarket bumper cover fit is absolutely garbage. I’d rather repair my oem cover if it’s actually a good repair. I’ll attach pictures, it’s hard to see but my concerns are that if they fill the indents from license plate hitting me, will that eventually crack and fall out? And the lip where my trunk closes into has bumped up from being smashed. Is that repairable in any way?

My insurance is about impossible to talk to. I tried to talk to them as I waited for police (as the person ran away at first, then returned, my first call was to the police). Insurance called me on my way home, though, and told me I can call or text anytime. When I call, their automated system prompts me to text them. I text them and…Well I haven’t gotten a response all morning …so just seeking opinions from those more familiar with body work and insurance than I may be.

IMG_9858.jpeg

IMG_9859.jpeg

IMG_9860.jpeg

Have you chosen a body shop yet? Take the car to them and let them (who can inspect the damage) lay out options for you. Ask all your questions while you are there. Some insurance companies pretty much require you to pay extra for OEM parts vs aftermarket.

The ability to use OEM parts relates to the language in your policy. In most cases in the policy it states that non OEM parts may be used.
You may be able to pay the difference in parts between OEM and aftermarket.
Bumper covers are very repairable and if done correctly even you won't be able to tell it was repaired.

If your insurance company is that difficult to communicate to-it is a hint to a nightmare if you have a serious accident. Switch providers.

The ability to use OEM parts relates to the language in your policy. In most cases in the policy it states that non OEM parts may be used.
You may be able to pay the difference in parts between OEM and aftermarket.
Bumper covers are very repairable and if done correctly even you won't be able to tell it was repaired.
I wasn’t aware.

When I was in a dealership the body shop threw away bumper covers left and right that were barely damaged, and also kept some that were barely damaged (I guess for potential side work or self use).

What I don’t get is why they won’t spring for oem parts (if parts are needed) since oem is coming off of it and it was an accident that I had no fault in.

But hopefully this isn’t something I should even worry about. Body shop can’t even inspect it till next Wednesday. I have the choice for an estimate or just leave it to let them get the ball rolling. My issue is vacation that weekend coming up, I don’t want a rental to just be charged more when I can’t return it on time since I’m out of town or don’t want to not have a rental, return on the weekend and have nothing to drive to work next business day.

I don't believe any of the popular high volume collision shops in my area will repair a bumper cover when replacements can be had. I'd imagine there's more labor involved in repairing a damaged bumper cover then there is prepping, painting and installing a new one. More profitable for them to replace.

Can they be repaired? Absolutely. Either way, I wouldn't worry about aftermarket vs OEM for a bumper cover in terms of quality.

What I don’t get is why they won’t spring for oem parts (if parts are needed) since oem is coming off of it and it was an accident that I had no fault in.
Cost but you're not filing a claim against your insurance. Your filing a claim against another insurer so your results may differ.

I wasn’t aware.

When I was in a dealership the body shop threw away bumper covers left and right that were barely damaged, and also kept some that were barely damaged (I guess for potential side work or self use).

But hopefully this isn’t something I should even worry about. Body shop can’t even inspect it till next Wednesday. I have the choice for an estimate or just leave it to let them get the ball rolling. My issue is vacation that weekend coming up, I don’t want a rental to just be charged more when I can’t return it on time since I’m out of town or don’t want to not have a rental, return on the weekend and have nothing to drive to work next business day.

There are good after market parts and bad ones.Your body shop will know. WE all get having accident is inconvenient on many levels. If you have rental car coverage-and it looks like your repair shouldn't take long-let the rental car sit in your driveway so it's there when you get back. Most rental car overages are for 3 to 4 weeks anyway.READ YOUR POLICY. Otherwise get a ride to the rental car company upon your return. They open up pretty early.

Cost but you're not filing a claim against your insurance. Your filing a claim against another insurer so your results may differ.
Quote from the OP

My insurance will initially pay for the repairs but will seek reimbursement for the car, the deductible, and the medical. Should I be able to demand oem parts if any parts are needed?

Quote from the OP

My insurance will initially pay for the repairs but will seek reimbursement for the car, the deductible, and the medical. Should I be able to demand oem parts if any parts are needed?
I dunno. Depends on the laws in your state. If the repair has a lifetime warranty does it matter?

There are good after market parts and bad ones.Your body shop will know. WE all get having accident is inconvenient on many levels. If you have rental car coverage-and it looks like your repair shouldn't take long-let the rental car sit in your driveway so it's there when you get back. Most rental car overages are for 3 to 4 weeks anyway.READ YOUR POLICY. Otherwise get a ride to the rental car company upon your return. They open up pretty early.
I get 30 days. I could just let it sit, just didn’t know if they say they’re done if I have to be available to pick up right then, which I won’t be if it’s mid week.

I’ll just go Wednesday and get the estimate without planning to drop off as I’ll be out of town just a couple days later. Let it all play out. Just thought the process could be faster.

I go to work at 4am so I can’t grab a rental when I get back before work unfortunately.

I dunno. Depends on the laws in your state. If the repair has a lifetime warranty does it matter?
I’d rather something be fixed right the first time than have the hassle and headache of going back, showing what I’m not satisfied with, waiting more and more. That’s all just simply a headache id rather avoid.

I would just cash the check and not worry about that level of damage.
I’m not so sure there isn’t something underlying. The cover alignment is off now and the clips where it meets the quarter are all broken. I know it doesn’t look like much but crap went flying in my car when I got hit, it hurt and I never imagined the lack of damage I would see when I got out considering how hard it felt.

I get 30 days. I could just let it sit, just didn’t know if they say they’re done if I have to be available to pick up right then, which I won’t be if it’s mid week.

I’ll just go Wednesday and get the estimate without planning to drop off as I’ll be out of town just a couple days later. Let it all play out. Just thought the process could be faster.

I go to work at 4am so I can’t grab a rental when I get back before work unfortunately.

I don't think a couple of days is a big deal. I would drop it off right before your leave-let the rental car sit in the driveway. That's what I would do. If it's a driving vacation-take the rental car.

I don't think a couple of days is a big deal. I would drop it off right before your leave-let the rental car sit in the driveway. That's what I would do. If it's a driving vacation-take the rental car.
It is actually, but I just get $30 a day. I’ll have to see what a minivan would cost to see if it’d be worth it to keep the miles off our van. We do rack up miles faster than we planned lately.

I’m not so sure there isn’t something underlying. The cover alignment is off now and the clips where it meets the quarter are all broken. I know it doesn’t look like much but crap went flying in my car when I got hit, it hurt and I never imagined the lack of damage I would see when I got out considering how hard it felt.

The missing clips aren't obvious from the pictures, that's why it looks more like a repair than a replace.

The missing clips aren't obvious from the pictures, that's why it looks more like a repair than a replace.
Yeah I know. I didn’t even try to get them in the picture. I’m surprised the upward bend at the top of the bumper where it meets the trunk even shows up in a picture.

Back