Built/Turbo Air-Cooled VW Oil

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Hi guys, wondering what you'd recommend for oil in my new to me sand rail? I'll post the specs below. It's a really low mile engine, its use is strictly for performance. The guy I bought it from said he put some 20w50 in it, I'm thinking a 5w40 might be suited better? While it'll be driven hard, it'll only be used in cooler months, under 90* outside. Some starts in the 30's will be normal too. Would a zinc additive be beneficial too?

It's a 2234cc built VW motor
84x92
CB Performance Street Eliminator heads
Weber IDF 44 dual carbs
Roller rockers
Garrett T3T4 Hybrid Turbo
Deep oil sump and external oil filter and cooler.

B5DAB5D8-2B1C-4CA2-9516-0EBFC210E606.jpeg
EABC39DA-1695-4AAF-8E11-F9DA91AC7016.jpeg

20-50 would be good or a 15-50 i run in all my motorcycles + a real synthetic if its in your budget but at least a typical fake synthetic. looking at air cooled bug engines 20-50 is commonly used unless its in a cold climate!

Do you have any idea what the oil temps are?

I would probably use a good 15W-40 or 20W-50 depending on oil temps.

Do you have any idea what the oil temps are?

I would probably use a good 15W-40 or 20W-50 depending on oil temps.
According to the oil temperature gauge, I struggled to get it to 150* at the dunes in Southern California the other week. When I was in Oregon at the dunes it would only hit 120*. It didn't feel warm around the engine either so I tend to believe it.

According to the oil temperature gauge, I struggled to get it to 150* at the dunes in Southern California the other week. When I was in Oregon at the dunes it would only hit 120*. It didn't feel warm around the engine either so I tend to believe it.
Might consider a thermostat in the oil cooler line.

When the VW’s were new, there were thermostat controlled flaps in the fan housing. Most folks ripped that stuff out over time, but that was VW’s attempt
to let the engine warm up easier.

Too cool. Also make darn sure that air filter a really good one, talk to some sand guys and find out what's latest and best. Being a show buggy it might have been for show more than use.

Are you going to do any disassembly and detail work?

Back