Building Up a New Stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
Are people with an oil stash married? Does wife know? What does she think?

My wife doesn't care what I do or buy. I must say I'm very fortunate when it comes to that.

Originally Posted by BLND1
GF-6 and SP are coming. I see no need to stock up until then.

Bingo!
I have enough stash for only 2020. Then it's GF6/SP-Time.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Bingo!

I might miss GF6 by 6-12 months, maybe. Not a big deal since some of the oils today like PP already meet the spec. My guess is other oils do too. It's tough to turn down deals on oil like Rotella Gas/Truck, free after rebate if you grabbed it at Auto Zone on the recent blowout. Especially when GF6 won't amount to a hill of beams for any of my fleet. Paying 86 cents for 5 quarts of oil is right up my alley.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Bingo!

I might miss GF6 by 6-12 months, maybe. Not a big deal since some of the oils today like PP already meet the spec. My guess is other oils do too. It's tough to turn down deals on oil like Rotella Gas/Truck, free after rebate if you grabbed it at Auto Zone on the recent blowout. Especially when GF6 won't amount to a hill of beams for any of my fleet. Paying 86 cents for 5 quarts of oil is right up my alley.
wink.gif

Online rebates don't work for folks that haven't the ability to take a picture of their receipt - lower the picture size and send it online.
Paperless rebates (ones that are not postal-mailed) are not for everyone.

Ive been successful in the past (Pennzoil Platinum rebates), but people I know will not do paperless rebates and it's a shame Rotella paper-rebates are nowhere to be found at retail stores like Walmart, Meijer......etc..

Last edited:

Bingo!

wink.gif

Online rebates don't work for folks that haven't the ability to take a picture of their receipt - lower the picture size and send it online.
Paperless rebates (ones that are not postal-mailed) are not for everyone.

I don't think people posting here have that problem, but I could be wrong. I've had no problem with rebates, and at the end of the day oil for under 20 cents a quart trumps GF6 for me. In fact I got a check yesterday from Shell for the Rotella. I will say I found SOPUS is a lot faster than XOM when it comes to rebates, at least for me.

demarpaint

People here at BITOG haven't that problem, because they use the internet to find BITOG.
Do you have any idea how many folks never used the internet in their life?....... millions in our country alone...... generally above 50 years-old.
Millions still using the el-cheaoTrac fold phones for talking-only too. No texting!
But somehow - someway, Rotella and others discriminate against them and won't issue paper rebates anymore.

It's ok to hoard oil. Most people will use it all up anyway. With some of these vehicles taking 6-8 quarts it doesn't take long to use up lots of oil with multiple vehicles, mowers, snowblowers and boat engines. I can go through a pretty decent stash in one year because I tend to keep my engine oil clean and save my vehicles for the next guy when I sell.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Donald
Are people with an oil stash married? Does wife know? What does she think?

Can anyone tell Donald the first rule of oil stash?

Does the same rule apply to buying an oil filter cutter?

I remember when I first found out oil stashes were a thing. I grabbed a ton of Exxon Superflo 10w30 SL from all my area Rite Aids for $1.49 a qt. All the while thinking..."get all you can, theres never gonna be deals this good again"!

When I was able to get a decent stash this year I was thinking they finally had enough where the brothers, uncles, and cousins of the store manager did not get it all.
Did have one manager tell me he cleaned out the 0w20

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
[Linked Image]

Nice..did you get the QS on clearance?

Yup, and got another 35 quarts last night too. FREE as used my "$20 reward"
shocked2.gif

demarpaint

People here at BITOG haven't that problem, because they use the internet to find BITOG.
Do you have any idea how many folks never used the internet in their life?....... millions in our country alone...... generally above 50 years-old.
Millions still using the el-cheaoTrac fold phones for talking-only too. No texting!
But somehow - someway, Rotella and others discriminate against them and won't issue paper rebates anymore.

I hear ya and my heart goes out to them, sort of. My point from the beginning is this: Someone mentioned not stock piling oil because GF6 was coming. Pennzoil said PP already meets the spec, and I got some great deals on that too! So it is probably just a matter of a label change, I would think. I would also think most of the other majors meet the spec as well. Even if they don't, if you're not running a turbo DI engine, or DI [I own none of the above] wouldn't buying oil in my case for under 20 cents a quart be better than waiting for GF6? I don't need it, and paying over twenty five times that for a quart of oil to have the latest, greatest GF6 oil makes no sense, to me. GF6 isn't something I need to wait for, and pass on some smoking deals. Opinions vary.

demarpaint

I hear ya and my heart goes out to them, sort of. My point from the beginning is this: Someone mentioned not stock piling oil because GF6 was coming. Pennzoil said PP already meets the spec, and I got some great deals on that too! So it is probably just a matter of a label change, I would think. I would also think most of the other majors meet the spec as well. Even if they don't, if you're not running a turbo DI engine, or DI [I own none of the above] wouldn't buying oil in my case for under 20 cents a quart be better than waiting for GF6? I don't need it, and paying over twenty five times that for a quart of oil to have the latest, greatest GF6 oil makes no sense, to me. GF6 isn't something I need to wait for, and pass on some smoking deals. Opinions vary.

I am far too much of a perfectionist to have a haphazard oil horde. Taking advantage of clearances for products that don't sell is irrelevant because I typically wouldn't use them anyway (E.G. I prefer not to use SOPUS products and you never see something like vanilla mobil1 on clearance.) If gf-6 and SP are out I'd prefer to have the latest and greatest. That's just me.

I'm a bit of a minimalist though, so I don't have a fleet of vehicles to maintain, nor do I keep more than I need for one future oil change.

Spending $20-30 dollars on oil and another ~$8 on a filter twice a year is a rounding error in my overall budget.

Overall - we all find value in different things or even different aspects of the same thing. I find value in having a label that says "gf6" and you find value in $0.20 per quart costs. It's all good.

Yay America!

Overall - we all find value in different things or even different aspects of the same thing. I find value in having a label that says "gf6" and you find value in $0.20 per quart costs. It's all good.

Yay America!

Yes, it's all good.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back